The blob!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The blob!

Just got a handler 140. I have C25 gas and solid wire. I try to weld and the metal doesn’t melt and the wire just blobs up.
    The gas is at 15 CFH
    I’ve double and triple checked the polarity
    im running speed and voltage based on the chart.
    Im sure I skipped a step somewhere but I don’t know what.
    any ideas?

Don't tell us you checked the polarity. Tell us exactly what it is. Same with the rest of your settings.

Is this your first welder or attempt at welding? We need to know where to start.

WHAT wire are you using?

Tell us everything, not just that you checked everything.

My first thought was to verify gas is flowing. If you turn the wire all the way down can you hear and feel the gas flow when you pull the trigger?

Do you have the gas nozzle installed on the end of the gun?
    Last edited by MAC702; 02-10-2019, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Use DCEP for polarity, try 20CFH with C25, set up on step Step 2, use ER70-S6 and wire speed at about 45... Try straight bead on something like clean 1/6 to 1/8 inch stock..... Clean stock surface, be sure ground connector is good and try about 1/4 inch stick out...... This is where my 140 is set at for doing some thin stuff last time it was used... Biggest thing to get you in trouble is "stickout" and if wire speed is to fast its going to just cause goobers in weld process.....

Also son really good advice with fundamentals here... http://weldingtipsandtricks.com

Dale
      Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale M. View Post
        ... "stickout" ...
        Good thought. Get that nozzle down near the work. If the nozzle is in the way of trying to see it, you might be close enough.

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post

Good thought. Get that nozzle down near the work. If the nozzle is in the way of trying to see it, you might be close enough.
          Agreed, looks like to much wire speed and to much stick out to me...

If nozzle is blocking view, cant your head over to side so you can see contact tip, wire and puddle and watch where arc is actually going (weave)...

Dale
          Last edited by Dale M.; 02-10-2019, 07:49 PM.

Comment

looks like a stick out issue. assuming you're new to welding it's very common for people to hold it way too far away at first. get right in close and start out by dragging on a bit of an angle so you can see better. youtube videos can be insanely helpful when starting out

Comment

Originally posted by Buckman86 View Post
              Just got a handler 140. I have C25 gas and solid wire. I try to weld and the metal doesn’t melt and the wire just blobs up.
              The gas is at 15 CFH
              I’ve double and triple checked the polarity
              im running speed and voltage based on the chart.
              Im sure I skipped a step somewhere but I don’t know what.
              any ideas?
              I got $5.00 that says he's using aluminum wire?

Comment

If I were to run flux core with the wrong polarity (DCEP) that pic is exactly what it would look like. If that new machine came with a roll of flux core you won't be needing that shielding gas till you change to solid wire.

Just as a quick visual, flux core is the silvery looking wire and solid is the coppery looking wire. Coppery looking because it does have a fine copper coating on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                  If I were to run flux core with the wrong polarity (DCEP) that pic is exactly what it would look like. If that new machine came with a roll of flux core you won't be needing that shielding gas till you change to solid wire.

Just as a quick visual, flux core is the silvery looking wire and solid is the coppery looking wire. Coppery looking because it does have a fine copper coating on it.
                  HE could read the label on roll.........

Dale

Comment

At least he SAID it was solid wire, instead of just saying "I double checked the wire type"

But, for the record, there are some solid steel wires out there that do not have a copper coating. That said, I've never used one but have seen them available.
                    Originally posted by oldguyfrom56 View Post
                    I got $5.00 that says he's using aluminum wire?
                    Man, I actually had that thought. Instead of going out on that limb, though, I just said to tell us exactly what wire it is. Glad to know I wasn't crazy, though.

Last edited by MAC702; 02-10-2019, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Thanks everyone,
                      I’ve done flux core for about 2 years now and just starting with mig.
                      the wire is silver but it’s .035 solid mig wire from Harbor Freight.
                      The machine says positive polarity for solid wire which I have it set in.
                      I usually do 1/2 to 1/4 inch stick out.
                      If no shielding gas comes out, would it result in those blobs?
                      Does the nozzle on my gun not work with gas?
                      I’m only opening the valve on the bottle then the value on the regulator. Where the hose connect to the regulator, is that a valve?
                      To be sure I’ve made some big rookie mistake

Comment

The white powder all over the metal in the pic has me suspecting aluminum wire too
                        MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
                        Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

...the wire is silver but it’s .035 solid mig wire from Harbor Freight....
                          That pretty much confirms it's aluminum wire. The solid steel wire they sell is copper-coated. They sell aluminum solid wire in .035" in both 4043 (green label) and 5356 (red label) aluminum alloys. Is it on those little 4" 1# spools designed for the spoolgun?
                          Last edited by MAC702; 02-11-2019, 12:36 AM.

Comment

Thanks everyone,
                            I’ve done flux core for about 2 years now and just starting with mig.
                            the wire is silver but it’s .035 solid mig wire from Harbor Freight.
                            The machine says positive polarity for solid wire which I have it set in.
                            I usually do 1/2 to 1/4 inch stick out.
                            If no shielding gas comes out, would it result in those blobs?
                            Does the nozzle on my gun not work with gas?
                            I’m only opening the valve on the bottle then the value on the regulator. Where the hose connect to the regulator, is that a valve?
                            To be sure I’ve made some big rookie mistake
                            What's the brand and spec on the roll? ER70S-6 for sure??

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                              The white powder all over the metal in the pic has me suspecting aluminum wire too
                              Yeh could be. I saw the whitish dust and instantly thought flux core. Could be aluminum.

Comment

Working...
                              X