No announcement yet.

Learning to Use Hobart Handler 190 Mig Welder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, but no copper mesh strap and no copper contact inserts.

Originally posted by Dale M. View Post
    Is this the style ground clamp you have....

Dale
    Last edited by Badbmwbrad; 03-19-2019, 05:23 AM.

Comment

That style clamp should be sufficient even with out copper embellishments..... I never have issues with the one on my HH 140....After I replaced the silly jumper cable type clamp it came with (older model HH140)...

Dale
      Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

I was practicing again this afternoon and made it a point to cut off the wire-end prior to each weld start. This usually resulted in a reliable arc. A few times, the wire didn't arc immediately and having a loose grip on the torch prevented a wire tangle at the feed roller.
        The wire still kinked during one failure to arc

I do maintain a short stick-out distance and make every effort to get a good ground connection by clamping against a bundle of stranded copper conductors.

Comment

Flux core especially doesn't like restarting with that burnt tip on the wire, unless you're running hotter than the ****ens and happened to have a more fool proof wire feed system. Once in awhile you get everything just right, the stick out is just right, preheat is perfect and the burn back is just right, then restarts aren't a problem. That don't happen a lot around my place. Just get used to carrying a pair of diags and snipping the end every restart. Saves time in the long run in spite of what some folks claim.

Absolutely no restarting over slag!!

Comment

You will have better success with restarts of unclipped wire if you go solid wire and shield gas, but I always clip my wire for fresh end because seems to work better for me..... Its a learned procedural thing for me to ensure better quality welds....

Dale
            Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

Brad, Getting back to your original question. Given your level of experience, the wire feed speed is AMPERAGE. You need to set the voltage somewhere between "too low" (the wire stubs into the bottom of the joint as you are welding and pushes your gun away from the puddle). and "too high" (lots and lots of spatter). After you have a couple of hundred hours of welding with MIG or Flux Core, come back to this posting and read about the finer points of adjusting both wire feed speed, voltage, and their interactions with other welding parameters. For now, small adjustments of one or the other are fine, but larger adjustments of one will require tweeking the other to keep the arc behaving the way you want it to . . . sizzling bacon and all. Hang in there, Brad, this welding thing is doable, and you can do it. ~0le
              "If a problem can't be solved, enlarge it." (The 34th president of the United States)

Comment

One of the things I like about welding is that it's a craft that I'm not going to master in weeks or months. I'm enjoying the learning curve so far (bird's nests notwithstanding). Using the grinder is fun also

Comment

As a practice exercise, I welded together two pieces of angle iron to form a tube steel box beam. Using flux core wire, I tried dragging the torch as recommended ("If there's slag, we drag").
                  The two pieces fused together pretty well but it was even harder for me to keep the weld in the joint while dragging the torch during travel! I lowered my hood's auto-darken
                  setting to number 9.

I was welding a horizontal joint from left-to-right and viewing the weld puddle from the left side of the torch. The torch obscured a clear view of the joint and I wandered off track several times.

My understanding is dragging the torch means that the torch is angled/tilted toward the travel direction. Therefore, if welding on a horizontal joint from left-to-right, then the top of the welding torch should be angled to the right. Presumably,
                  to get a clear view of the weld puddle,
                  it is necessary to look into the arc from the right side of the torch. If one is right-handed then one's right hand will obscure a clear view of the right side of the puddle when dragging the torch from left-to-right.
                  Last edited by Badbmwbrad; 04-01-2019, 11:00 AM.

Comment

I'm finally getting some decent looking welds when practicing with flux-core wire The biggest improvement was realized by changing the gun's travel angle to drag the torch.

Since I'm right-handed, it's easier for me to weld from right to left. The top of the torch is supposed to be tipped toward the left about 15 degrees and this makes my welds look a lot better.. It's also easier to see where the weld torch is going by looking toward the left side of the arc.

Comment

Working...
                    X