Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ~0le View Post
    Fellow welders,
    Thank you for your patience with me and my $50 AD Lincoln Viking 3350 welding helmet in like-new condition. I am holding it in my hand right now and looking for this "4C" on the front. Nada. Nothing inside either as far as I can see. The serial number is 0126150077. There is a sticker inside indicating that parts for my "3350 (-2) series ADF" are available from Lincoln. I also discovered a here-to-for unnoticed slide switch. One way is for shades 9-13; the other way is for shades 5-8. Big aaa-HA moment: it was set to the darker side. After I scrape the egg off my face, I'll slide it over to the lighter side and give it another chance. Maybe I was a bit premature with my condemnation. I'll get back to you in a couple of days. (My welding bench is outside and it is raining here in the SF Bay Area.)
    ~0le
    the 5-8 side is more for grinding. you might be able to weld with the 8 setting but i can tell you from experience that welding on 5 is painful. if you can't find 4C anywhere on it then it's likely the older lens which i believe is just the standard green tint. the newer 4C lens is more of a greenish blue and you can see MUCH better while still also having the proper darkness. personally i went from being able to see the puddle and just slight ahead/behind the puddle to being able to see pretty much everything very clearly. that helmet alone improved my welding quite a bit and made it much easier for me to follow a straight line

here's a picture of both the old and new. i've drawn a circle around where it shows "4C". they are nearly identical aside from one being the newer technology

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3823-Right-side-view-Helmet-cropped-on-Work-Table.jpg Views:	0 Size:	27.4 KB ID:	703696

Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l1600.jpg Views:	0 Size:	38.3 KB ID:	703697

Comment

Dale and Andy578, Thank you for being very specific as to where I should look to find the "4C" notation. My Lincoln 3350 has "3350 (-2) series ADF" in the indicated location, so it looks like I got an old one. Oh well. I'm glad I gave only $50 for it. I will experiment some more with the shade selected to be #8. I was using 1/16" E6013 electrode to weld a trailer hitch to one of my bicycles. I adjusted the (infinite) amp range between 30 and 60 depending whether I was trying to fill the hole that I had inadvertently welded into the seat stay or was trying to get some decent penetration into the metal of the hitch, which was probably about 5 times as thick as the bicycle frame tubing. Normally I would have welded this application with oxy-acetylene, but I did not want to melt the factory-brazed rack-mount eyelets just below the hitch or the brazed seat-stay lugs just above the trailer hitch. I should have TIG welded it, but the bike frame wont fit inside the wind-break enclosure that I place on my outdoor bench when TIG welding. I'll keep you posted as time goes forward, but that project is done . . . and I'm just a hobbyist . ~0le
      "If a problem can't be solved, enlarge it." (The 34th president of the United States)

Comment

Originally posted by ~0le View Post
        Dale and Andy578, Thank you for being very specific as to where I should look to find the "4C" notation. My Lincoln 3350 has "3350 (-2) series ADF" in the indicated location, so it looks like I got an old one. Oh well. I'm glad I gave only $50 for it. I will experiment some more with the shade selected to be #8. I was using 1/16" E6013 electrode to weld a trailer hitch to one of my bicycles. I adjusted the (infinite) amp range between 30 and 60 depending whether I was trying to fill the hole that I had inadvertently welded into the seat stay or was trying to get some decent penetration into the metal of the hitch, which was probably about 5 times as thick as the bicycle frame tubing. Normally I would have welded this application with oxy-acetylene, but I did not want to melt the factory-brazed rack-mount eyelets just below the hitch or the brazed seat-stay lugs just above the trailer hitch. I should have TIG welded it, but the bike frame wont fit inside the wind-break enclosure that I place on my outdoor bench when TIG welding. I'll keep you posted as time goes forward, but that project is done . . . and I'm just a hobbyist . ~0le
        the older ones are still very good helmets they just don't really have the clarity of the 4C lens and for $50 is still a good bargain.

Comment

I as a newb bought the Viking when I was getting my gear. Very very clear puddle. I can't compare to anything other than basic cheapo mig hoods, but itsa berry nicesa!

Comment

Originally posted by HOBARTxj View Post
            I as a newb bought the Viking when I was getting my gear. Very very clear puddle. I can't compare to anything other than basic cheapo mig hoods, but itsa berry nicesa!
            Miller digital elite is also pretty nice and is actually a little cheaper at the shops around me. the Lincoln gives a little better view and fits my head better

Comment

Working...
            X