Best Welding Lens

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Welding Lens

Can anyone suggest me some welding lens?

A real dark one... Like a #14.
    With limited information to go on Jack, I'm going to error on the side of caution.
    For the record... two #7's piggy backed don't equal a #14 no matter how the math stacks up, but I'm sure dark to look thru just the same?

Oh...almost forgot. If you have an hard time reading the fine print, it's probably not a shade of lens issue.

On a more serious note, the shade you choose will be based on a number of factors. How bright is the light. How much infra red, Ultra violet radiation is produced by the welding process. Material being welded. Old blind guys like to add one that magnifies on occasion?

But on a personal note, I use a #2 for heating and bending, a #5 for cutting and gas fusion welding, I have a cobalt Blue for brazing(no Idea the shade) and my photo electrics helmets are set to #9-10 when welding GMAW, #10-11 with GTAW. I haven't welded SMAW but it would be #10. I wear safety glasses with side shield and still read fine print although things tend to go fuzzy if I have to stare for any long length of time.

Don't go blind.

Comment

What process, what helmet type?

Dale
      Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

I don't even waste time with these questions anymore. If they don't care to put details in the question, I'm not going to write an essay to cover all the bases.

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post
          I don't even waste time with these questions anymore. If they don't care to put details in the question, I'm not going to write an essay to cover all the bases.
          I agree. Quite likely just a troll anyway!

Comment

just buy a Lincoln 3350 and don't look back

Comment

I bought one of the new Lincoln 3350 helmets and what a joy to use. The view is fantastic.
              Hobart beta-mig 2510 Mig welder
              Victor OA Welding/Cutting Rig
              Century 295 amp Stick welder bought 30+ years ago

Comment

I have a Lincoln 3350 that I bought off a fellow in the parking lot of the local welding supply. The manager of store vouched for him as being a good, long-time customer. The fellow said that he was moving to Oregon, that it was excess to his needs, and that he didn't want to move it. Fine. Good deal at $50. He provided the box, directions, bag, everything. Until now, I have been a flip front kind of guy. (The instructor at the local community college welding program recommended flip front while learning . . . then buy the auto dark if you get a job in industry.) I have to say, I won't throw this one away, but I fail to see much wonderfulness in this auto darkening welding hood thing. ~0le
                "If a problem can't be solved, enlarge it." (The 34th president of the United States)

Comment

I am 65 now and can't see to line up any more using my 40 year old pipeliner welding hood. I bought a Lincoln 3350 with 4C lens technology. What a difference. I can see really well before I start the arc.
                  Last edited by coxhaus; 02-04-2019, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ~0le View Post
                    I have a Lincoln 3350 that I bought off a fellow in the parking lot of the local welding supply. The manager of store vouched for him as being a good, long-time customer. The fellow said that he was moving to Oregon, that it was excess to his needs, and that he didn't want to move it. Fine. Good deal at $50. He provided the box, directions, bag, everything. Until now, I have been a flip front kind of guy. (The instructor at the local community college welding program recommended flip front while learning . . . then buy the auto dark if you get a job in industry.) I have to say, I won't throw this one away, but I fail to see much wonderfulness in this auto darkening welding hood thing. ~0le
                    assuming you bought an older model. the newer 4C lens is amazing to look through

Comment

Andy578, The next time I go out to my shop, I'll check on the lens type. Thanks for your insight. ~0le
                      "If a problem can't be solved, enlarge it." (The 34th president of the United States)

Comment

Originally posted by ~0le View Post
                        Andy578, The next time I go out to my shop, I'll check on the lens type. Thanks for your insight. ~0le
                        My Lincoln 3350 helmet with 4C lens technology shows 4C on the front of my lens panel. It is easy to see.

PS
                        Maybe Lincoln will upgrade you older helmet for a small fee. I would call them.
                        Last edited by coxhaus; 02-05-2019, 02:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by coxhaus View Post

My Lincoln 3350 helmet with 4C lens technology shows 4C on the front of my lens panel. It is easy to see.

PS
                          Maybe Lincoln will upgrade you older helmet for a small fee. I would call them.
                          the lens is listed at something like $375 online so not much less then a new helmet. would have to get a **** good deal for it to be worth it.

Comment

Fellow welders,
                            Thank you for your patience with me and my $50 AD Lincoln Viking 3350 welding helmet in like-new condition. I am holding it in my hand right now and looking for this "4C" on the front. Nada. Nothing inside either as far as I can see. The serial number is 0126150077. There is a sticker inside indicating that parts for my "3350 (-2) series ADF" are available from Lincoln. I also discovered a here-to-for unnoticed slide switch. One way is for shades 9-13; the other way is for shades 5-8. Big aaa-HA moment: it was set to the darker side. After I scrape the egg off my face, I'll slide it over to the lighter side and give it another chance. Maybe I was a bit premature with my condemnation. I'll get back to you in a couple of days. (My welding bench is outside and it is raining here in the SF Bay Area.)
                            ~0le

Comment

Should say 4C in bottom left corner as you face helmet...

Dale

Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

Working...
                              X