X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• calweld
    replied
    Originally posted by Northweldor View Post

If you know what is good for your future, that one is a no-brainer,( at least, in my family!).
    I did come to my senses, got my priorities in order, picked my wife up. Otherwise, you'd probably be reading my obit right now.

I got the new power block earlier this week, fits perfect. Hobart backend fits also. Had to go to a hardware store for a thumbscrew to hold the gun in. Haven't yet run wire through it yet, I'm still trying to find the new Hobart liner I know I have.

I want to thank both Sandy and Keith, both of these guys provided information that helped me understand what I had. And then Dan, who supplied the "ah-hah" moment, when I first realized that what I had was not stock Hobart.

I didn't particularly appreciate the "good machinist" post, after being in business for 30+ years, I'm pretty sure I know far more about machining than most, also the problems you can have in the future, from paper thin sleeves. I also observe, there are more than a few "weekend warriors" , "internet experts", existing on this board today.

Leave a comment:

• Northweldor
    replied
    Originally posted by calweld View Post
    Ok, the LWS did order the part, I should have it by the end of this week or early next week. I have a couple spare guns lying around here I can use. However, I do have a new dilemma. If the LWS calls me Friday afternoon, the part is in,,, Do I go get the part, or do I pick my wife up at the airport???? She's been gone two weeks. Decisions, decisions.
    If you know what is good for your future, that one is a no-brainer,( at least, in my family!).

Leave a comment:

• calweld
    replied
    Ok, the LWS did order the part, I should have it by the end of this week or early next week. I have a couple spare guns lying around here I can use. However, I do have a new dilemma. If the LWS calls me Friday afternoon, the part is in,,, Do I go get the part, or do I pick my wife up at the airport???? She's been gone two weeks. Decisions, decisions.

Leave a comment:

• Dale M.
    replied
    Guess you don't know a good machinist..... I actually have lathe, and I do not consider it much of a challenge although I will admit I am not very skilled being self taught....

Dale

Leave a comment:

• calweld
    replied
    Thanks, Keith. Since I posted, I stopped by the local Airgas, they were no help. Then went to the normal local-local-local guy I generally do business with, I think they can order from Industrial Electric in Modesto. I'd do it myself, except I'm deaf, and cannot deal on the phone. I told them to charge me whatever. If it doesn't work out, I will check with Tractor Supply, I didn't know they were a source for parts, I have two branches within 7 miles here, I also completely forgot about miller4less.

About the arithmetic, Dale. We are talking about something 5/8" OD, with a 1/2" bore inside. This leaves a 1/16" wall thickness for the sleeve. Hard to maintain while machining, even harder to maintain in use. Do you get it? I'd rather replace the block, and return everything back to original. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Leave a comment:

• Hobart Expert Keith
    replied
    You can get the block and a gun from your local retailer or you can go online to www.miller4less.com If you have a Tractor Supply just go to the parts counter and order the block 193189 and a gun part# 245924. TSC gets free shipping to the store.

Leave a comment:

• Dale M.
    replied
    Originally posted by calweld View Post
    The one I have here is definitely Hobart, it has the old plastic drive assembly with an aluminum power block bolted to it. Just a rectangle block, bored to fit the pin, with a power attachment and a hose attachment. Nothing like your picture.

Making a sleeve on a lathe isn't an option, do the arithmetic, Dale.
    Thought he wanted to FIX the situation by getting proper Hobart part(s) and not use the Bas-tard whip...

Dale

Leave a comment:

• calweld
    replied
    The one I have here is definitely Hobart, it has the old plastic drive assembly with an aluminum power block bolted to it. Just a rectangle block, bored to fit the pin, with a power attachment and a hose attachment. Nothing like your picture.

Making a sleeve on a lathe isn't an option, do the arithmetic, Dale.

Leave a comment:

• Sandy
    replied
    Inserted the 1st ones as files, 2nd batch as pics. Got it figured now ..

Leave a comment:

• Sandy
    replied
    Interesting how those showed up. I haven't posted a pic here for years I guess. My bad. Using calwelds post to play .. Sorry about that.

Leave a comment:

• Sandy
    replied
    Few pics of the MM175 back end just for giggles. Gives a perspective maybe.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Dale M.
    replied
    Know someone with lathe?... Make sleeve for gun with smaller diameter for back end if you can not get part, or have one made, its not a real complex piece....

Dale

Leave a comment:

• calweld
    replied
    Left an inquiry with Hobart parts this morning, hopefully they'll get back to me next week. Doubt anybody else would have it in stock, it's not a normal replacement item. BTW, the Miller gun won't work, read Sandy's post above. I'd be afraid of boring the block out more, walls are already too thin.

Leave a comment:

• calweld
    replied
    Yeah, Keith, I'm finally starting to get it. It must have been bored out. The walls are really thin, even where the hold-down bolt goes through, I only see two threads.

This machine is old enough, it has the old hard plastic drive housing. Nothing wrong with it, I remember many people complained about it, I had one and I thought it was great. However, to get this thing going again, it seems what I need is an original Hobart "connector,gun", part number #193 189. It seems to be a simple replacement, and once I do so, I can attach any H-10 or H100xxxx gun to it. My question is, where do I order this from?

Leave a comment:

• Hobart Expert Keith
    replied
    Calweld, The HH187 came with a gun connector with a 1/2" bore. So if the one you have is a 5/8" it has be milled out or the block was changed to the Miller one that was used on the old Ironman 210 and 250 units. If you have one with a 5/8" bore then you can use the standard Miller gun.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X