HH187 gun/backend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HH187 gun/backend

I'm trying to find a gun assembly to work on an early HH187. This has a 5/8" diameter power pin, looks like about 2 1/2" or a little more long, from the front of the block to the drive rollers. Nothing I see on anybody's website fits. Gun it came with, looks like a standard Tweco, correct diameter but not correct on the length of the backend.

I seem to remember, Hobart was using a lot of Miller parts in the past, is it possible that what I need is a Miller M-10 or M-15 that would fit a MM180?

This machine has a "LH" serial, pretty early, I do a serial search and just an error message shows up. I do a manual search on all 187 options, everything shows what appears to be the current .46 diameter power pin.
    *** Disclaimer ***

As I have no wish to toy with anybody's life, I suggest you take this and all other posts with a certain amount of skepticism. Carefully evaluate, and if necessary, research on your own any suggestions or advice you might pick up here, especially those from my posts, as I obviously haven't the skill and experience exhibited by some of the more illustrious and more successful members of this forum. I'm not responsible for anything I say, as I drank toxic water when young.

I'd contact Hobart support.
    Gregg
    Handler 210MVP
    Stickmate 210i

Comment

I've got a MM175 with M10 gun. The diameter if the back end is .678" and length is 2.070 plus or minus. Of course on the length there is the liner retaining nut to add on to the overall plus about 1/8th or so of liner that protrudes beyond that to the drive roll.

Comment

Thanks, Sandy. Just went out and double-checked the one I have, the ID of the power block is definitely 5/8". Hopefully one of the Hobart guys will see this and comment.
        *** Disclaimer ***

As I have no wish to toy with anybody's life, I suggest you take this and all other posts with a certain amount of skepticism. Carefully evaluate, and if necessary, research on your own any suggestions or advice you might pick up here, especially those from my posts, as I obviously haven't the skill and experience exhibited by some of the more illustrious and more successful members of this forum. I'm not responsible for anything I say, as I drank toxic water when young.

Comment

Originally posted by calweld View Post
          Thanks, Sandy. Just went out and double-checked the one I have, the ID of the power block is definitely 5/8". Hopefully one of the Hobart guys will see this and comment.
          Yeh I tried measuring three different ways to get 5/8ths out of it and it just wasn't going to be. I can see where some money is being wasted on R&D if they make the back end different on every machine. Crazy.

The gurus here will be able to come up with the easy info ya need for sure tho.

Comment

Just to explain, this isn't my machine. A friend found it at a pawn shop, the dealer let him take it and bring it to me. I checked it out, everything worked, although I couldn't actually run a wel, due to the gun issues. Pawn shop was asking $200 for this, I told my friend to offer $50, if they don't take it walk away. He got it for $50. It came with a Lincoln/Tweco backend, previous owner used a gun with a standard tweco backend, just left the liner hanging out an inch or so to meet the drive rolls. I'm thinking this would actually match up to a standard Miller backend, but according to Sandy's measurements, it doesn't.

I can find plenty of Hobart guns online, that give the dimensions of the backends, all are 0.046 diameter. I have not yet seen a dimension of a Hobart H-10 or a Miller M-10. All the H-10s seem to cross reference over to the gun made now, which has a 0.46 diameter backend, that would be pretty sloppy inside a 0.625 bore on the power block.
            *** Disclaimer ***

Comment

If this machine is truly a Handler 187, I am wondering if someone enlarged the bore in the aluminum power block to accept a Tweco or older Hobart power pin end gun
              MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
              Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

Hopefully Kieth will chime in this morning with solution or at least identify what is problem...

Dale
                "Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

You will need the Hobart H100S2-10 part# 245924. The Miller back end is too large for the Handler units.

Comment

Earth to Calweld, Earth to Calweld... How's it going, Joe?

I prefer stick welding, as I can size my rod to the job. Never a problem with the power pin being too big or small and no worry about retaining nuts.

Last edited by usmcpop; 01-10-2019, 02:19 PM.
                    --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
                    -------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Hobart Expert Keith View Post
                      You will need the Hobart H100S2-10 part# 245924. The Miller back end is too large for the Handler units.
                      Keith: I still have a question. The power block has a bore of 5/8", does the gun you mention have a 5/8" backend? Every dimension I have seen on these Hobart guns specifies a dimension of 0.46". That is what my HH210 has. Did Hobart use a 5/8" power pin on the earlier models, or is it possible, like Dan mentioned, that a previous owner bored it out? I note that there are no signs of drilling marks.
                      *** Disclaimer ***

Comment

Originally posted by usmcpop View Post

I prefer stick welding, as I can size my rod to the job. Never a problem with the power pin being too big or small and no worry about retaining nuts.
                        Still kicking, Richard. Email is still the same, I lost yours. Seems the only time we talk anymore is when somebody passes away.

I got pretty wet the last few days, working outside, I finally came to my senses and am sitting in my office today taking care of a few things, with a nice hot cup of tea.

Good to hear from you, how's everything been with you?
                        Last edited by calweld; 01-17-2019, 05:19 PM. Reason: Used a more appropriate name that would not be censored ...
                        *** Disclaimer ***

Comment

Originally posted by usmcpop View Post

Me too! ..............................

Comment

Calweld, The HH187 came with a gun connector with a 1/2" bore. So if the one you have is a 5/8" it has be milled out or the block was changed to the Miller one that was used on the old Ironman 210 and 250 units. If you have one with a 5/8" bore then you can use the standard Miller gun.

Comment

Yeah, Keith, I'm finally starting to get it. It must have been bored out. The walls are really thin, even where the hold-down bolt goes through, I only see two threads.

This machine is old enough, it has the old hard plastic drive housing. Nothing wrong with it, I remember many people complained about it, I had one and I thought it was great. However, to get this thing going again, it seems what I need is an original Hobart "connector,gun", part number #193 189. It seems to be a simple replacement, and once I do so, I can attach any H-10 or H100xxxx gun to it. My question is, where do I order this from?

*** Disclaimer ***

Comment

Working...
                              X