Hobart 135 wire feed motor.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobart 135 wire feed motor.

I have a Hobart 135 that the drive motor works at first but after about 5 seconds its starts slowing down until it stops feeding wire.
    I hooked up a meter to the leads going into the motor and the voltage going into the motor drops when it starts to slow when I jumper the ptc1 it goes to full speed then cuts out as well I had searched a saw the q1 component on the board was liable to fail frequently but I am unsure how to troubleshoot if it's the bad part or not. Would I just jumper it too? Don't want to burn up something and have to buy a new board if i don't have too

Well I scrapped the stuff of of ptc1 and then jumped again and it seems to have solved my wire feed issue. Any reason to install a new yellow lollipop and bot just permenalty jumper it with some solder? Also this will be my first time soldering on a circuit board so any tips are appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by Toyodajeff View Post
      Well I scrapped the stuff of of ptc1 and then jumped again and it seems to have solved my wire feed issue. Any reason to install a new yellow lollipop and bot just permenalty jumper it with some solder? Also this will be my first time soldering on a circuit board so any tips are appreciated
      Are you talking about part PC 1 on the circuit diagram?

You haven't posted any pics that I can see, but it sounds as though you are talking about permanently leaving the thermistor jumpered, a VERY BAD IDEA! This is a test to see if a piece of protective equipment has failed, not a repair. If you don't know this, it means that you probably should let someone (who does) do the repair. Let me know if I am wrong.

There are some people on this board who have worked in electronics who may give you instruction on repair. CanoeCruiser?
      Last edited by Northweldor; 12-02-2018, 03:28 PM.

Comment

If I am remembering correctly PTC1 is for motor circuit protection, so it would be wise to replace it with new, especially considering how cheap price wise the component is compared to a new motor.
        MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
        Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
          If I am remembering correctly PTC1 is for motor circuit protection, so it would be wise to replace it with new, especially considering how cheap price wise the component is compared to a new motor.
          Exactly. And you should also look for the reason why the thermistor failed, such as possible liner problems, etc..
          Last edited by Northweldor; 12-02-2018, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Northweldor View Post

Exactly. And you should also look for the reason why the thermistor failed, such as possible liner problems, etc..
            I found the part on Ebay for $5. I was just wondering how critical it was since I've never soldered anything into a circuit board before. Also just bought a whole new gun assembly for the welder so I guess the liner should be good.
            thanks for the tip on not just permanent jumpering it. I figured I couldn't but I'm no expert on this stuff just a tinkerer. That's why I asked here.
            also saw on the 135 the ptc1 was pretty common to fail part so figured it just failed and didn't have another issue causing it to fail.
            beside a bad liner or to high tension on the wire feed roller what could cause that.
            do I need to amp out the drive motor?
            Last edited by Toyodajeff; 12-02-2018, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Toyodajeff View Post

I found the part on Ebay for $5. I was just wondering how critical it was since I've never soldered anything into a circuit board before. Also just bought a whole new gun assembly for the welder so I guess the liner should be good.
              thanks for the tip on not just permanent jumpering it. I figured I couldn't but I'm no expert on this stuff just a tinkerer. That's why I asked here.
              also saw on the 135 the ptc1 was pretty common to fail part so figured it just failed and didn't have another issue causing it to fail.
              beside a bad liner or to high tension on the wire feed roller what could cause that.
              do I need to amp out the drive motor?
              Failure of this part is common, but could be caused by overuse, such as constantly exceeding the duty cycle. Hobart expert Keith would best at explaining this. Your drive motor is probably OK, if everything was normal when the part was jumpered.

Comment

The potential issue is PTC1(RX185) thermistor. This can fail due to a bad liner, excessive drive roll pressure used(probably because of a bad liner). Usually replacing the PTC1 will resolve this issue. Check www.digikey.com for the thermistor.

Comment

Working...
                X