Ground clamp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ground clamp

I just purchased the 100 flux core welder and it seems that the ground clamp could be better. I am wondering if it is okay to change the clamp and what would be a good choice to replace it with? Also if I want to use an extension cord what amp and maximum length will work. Thank you for any information you may have.

What makes you think you need a better one? Weak spring/clamping pressure? Poor surface contact? Sure, you could replace it, keeping in mind the previous points of mention. Lot of times it's not the clamp but the surface it's clamped to that's the problem. As far as an extension cord, it will come down to your power supply, the distance from it, and the amount you plan on drawing from it when welding.
    I'm going to suggest a bit of reading, owners manual, previous posts on this site...and while it may stir the post of controversy, talk to the electrician in the box store, those guys like answering questions on that stuff. Sure, they may roll the eyes at what to them seems like a dumb question, buy hey, you might find he saves you money on a new cord with ends made to length, then that cord that doesn't perform as well out of a package?

Comment

IF work clamp is style that is used on jumper cables yes definitely change it, because they will not hold up well.... Get a 200 amp clamp minimum.... Ground clamp is a very important part of getting good welds...

http://www.brweldingsupplies.com/mil...-work-200-amp/

With my Hobart Handler 140 it was recommended to use 12 gauge cord with ground and not to exceed 50 feet.... For you welder it should be adequate.....

Dale
      Last edited by Dale M.; 11-23-2018, 02:05 PM.
      Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

Originally posted by oldguyfrom56 View Post
        What makes you think you need a better one? Weak spring/clamping pressure? Poor surface contact? Sure, you could replace it, keeping in mind the previous points of mention. Lot of times it's not the clamp but the surface it's clamped to that's the problem. As far as an extension cord, it will come down to your power supply, the distance from it, and the amount you plan on drawing from it when welding.
        I'm going to suggest a bit of reading, owners manual, previous posts on this site...and while it may stir the post of controversy, talk to the electrician in the box store, those guys like answering questions on that stuff. Sure, they may roll the eyes at what to them seems like a dumb question, buy hey, you might find he saves you money on a new cord with ends made to length, then that cord that doesn't perform as well out of a package?
        Most "clerks" in big box stores are not electricians, most just parrot accumulated random comments that sound about right..... IF they were good electricians they would not be working in big box for minimum wage and poor (if any) benefits....

Dale

Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

Well...you go for advice to a welding supply store you telling me you're going to get a welder? Not likely. But maybe? You call my Home Depot 1-780- 478-7100, they hire, employ Red Seal Journeyman Electricians. But maybe not in your neighborhood who knows?
          As far as the work clamp is concerned...I could have suggested he throw it in the bush, clean and solder a chunk of copper tube flattened on the end, over the end of exposed wire and clamp it anywhere with a vise grip clamp? Or a hammer crimped copper lug? I'm sure his work clamp is mostly fine. His problem will be distance. But I'm sure a 200amp rated clamp for $6.02 won't hurt things?

Comment

25 or 50 ft of 12 wont hurt a thing on that machine. It will run on 14 too but there is a little performance drop especially at 50 ft.
            http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

toss the clamp and go buy a 200a brass clamp. most stock clamps are garbage so i pretty much always buy a new clamp when i buy the machine. do NOT buy one of those stupid magnetic clamps. they seem like a good idea but every single one i've ever encountered has been junk. as for extension cords it depends how long you wanna go but for 25ft you'll want 12 gauge and for 50ft you'll want 10 gauge. if you plan to get a bigger 220v machine down the road you might as well just get an 8 gauge cord then you can just change the ends when you upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy578 View Post
                ...as for extension cords it depends how long you wanna go but for 25ft you'll want 12 gauge and for 50ft you'll want 10 gauge. if you plan to get a bigger 220v machine down the road you might as well just get an 8 gauge ....
                Some people just get warm and fuzzy knowing they spent a lot of money on a big thick cord.

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post

Some people just get warm and fuzzy knowing they spent a lot of money on a big thick cord.
                  really isn't very expensive depending how you buy it. pre made cords can be found for less then $100 or you can make your own far cheaper. i can get 50ft of 8 gauge for less then $50 and that's using big box store prices not electrical suppliers which would be a decent bit cheaper

Comment

I still haven't upgraded my clamp yet. But to reach the plug, I use a 10Ft. 10 Gage extension cord. Just my 2 cents.
                    I have a welder, but I,m not a weldor

Comment

I'm sure in some circles, they gather in small groups and discuss with hushed voices, the value of electrical current flow losses due to resistance. I'm sure they do, I'm just not of the group that does.
                      I'm of the group who sits and wonders, did you remember to attach it?
                      Anyways...I'm not afraid to show my clamps or cords.
                      The 25' of #12 in the last pic was used steady with my HH 135. Wasn't drawing loads of current doing body work though.
                      The 25' of 10 gauge and 20 amp plug rarely gets used evident by the dust. But when I switch to flux core and pull current it comes in handy doing out side work.

Comment

Working...
                      X