VERY Odd Mig Question: Hobart 125

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VERY Odd Mig Question: Hobart 125

All, as you can see this is my first post. I have searched high and low in many forums and I just can't find anything similar to my issue. Here it is:

I have a 15 year old or so Hobart 125EZ that I have always only run flux core through. As a hobbyist this maybe amounts to 20 or so rolls of wire total in the machine's life. The machine has functioned flawlessly to date. This past weekend went I went to do some light welding I found that the wire roller slips but only when the welder arcs. When the welder is not arcing, the wire feeds fine. To be clear, when I am not arcing, I can eject wire from the tip against my garage floor and the wire flows effortlessly with no slipping whatsoever even when I exert a good about of force on the wire as it's coming out of the tip. The second I try to weld, however, with much less force on the wire then when against the floor, the rollers turn but stop pushing the wire through the gun and instead just spin on top of the wire. It's bizarre. The wire easily manually pulls from spool to tip so the liner / tip are fine. I have adjusted everything many times (spool tension, roller pressure) and nothing helps. The wire is the same spool that worked just fine a month or so ago so that's not the cause. The kicker, when I remove the ground from metal I am trying to weld the wire feeds perfectly. The second I touch the ground to the metal, creating a brief arc, the rollers start slipping.

To be sure, I ordered a new roller and tip altogether and just installed it. No change. The numbers all match, .30.

Has anyone ever heard of something like this before?

I'm going out on a limb here, how does your voltage switch feel? Have you played with the setting and confirmed it's firmly set? Any chance you've taken the cover off to have a look around lately? Sounds like you were hoping for easy, simple and discovered your going to have to learn something more?
    I say that with kindness.
    Well...I don't know much about electrical stuff. But I do know abut learning more. A good investment will be a digital multi meter, the owners manual, and thinking a bit more on how it all works. That and some, it's not rocket science, as good measure?

Oh...and with a grain of salt, there is a lot of conversation on the Miller Forum about repairs, diagnostics, and testing. A switch for one is almost like a switch for another. Kind a sorta? Just saying...you'll figure it out.

Comment

When you strike the arc does the wire immediately burn back and stick in the tip? If so, It is possible that the wire feed is too slow. Check the inches per minute on the low heat setting. Feed wire for 6 seconds, use a stop watch or second to be as accurate as possible. Then measure the wire length that was fed. You should have close to 18 inches of wire.

Comment

Originally posted by Lochlin View Post
        All, as you can see this is my first post. I have searched high and low in many forums and I just can't find anything similar to my issue. Here it is:

I have a 15 year old or so Hobart 125EZ that I have always only run flux core through. As a hobbyist this maybe amounts to 20 or so rolls of wire total in the machine's life. The machine has functioned flawlessly to date. This past weekend went I went to do some light welding I found that the wire roller slips but only when the welder arcs. When the welder is not arcing, the wire feeds fine. To be clear, when I am not arcing, I can eject wire from the tip against my garage floor and the wire flows effortlessly with no slipping whatsoever even when I exert a good about of force on the wire as it's coming out of the tip. The second I try to weld, however, with much less force on the wire then when against the floor, the rollers turn but stop pushing the wire through the gun and instead just spin on top of the wire. It's bizarre. The wire easily manually pulls from spool to tip so the liner / tip are fine. I have adjusted everything many times (spool tension, roller pressure) and nothing helps. The wire is the same spool that worked just fine a month or so ago so that's not the cause. The kicker, when I remove the ground from metal I am trying to weld the wire feeds perfectly. The second I touch the ground to the metal, creating a brief arc, the rollers start slipping.

To be sure, I ordered a new roller and tip altogether and just installed it. No change. The numbers all match, .30.

Has anyone ever heard of something like this before?

Well? Anyone else the least bit curious or mildly disappointed not knowing if buddy's EZ got fixed? Cause I am?

Not enough to lose sleep or anything, but because the clue, "
        when I remove the ground from metal I am trying to weld the wire feeds perfectly. The second I touch the ground to the metal, creating a brief arc, the rollers start slipping." , was enough for me to think electrical short?

So I'm thinking... completing a circuit the wire locks up? But pulls out freely? Feeds fine?
        Connect a work clamp when running and get a brief arc? I'm thinking 6 o'clock news, fellow in the garage rushed to hospital?
        Actually I wasn't. I was thinking sucks to be buddy. Somethings broken.

Anyhow... 15 years is a long time. Longer then most marriages these days. That in mind I was thinking he just bought another and called it a day?
        Then again, if after 15 years you don't blow the dust off...well, it's still a surprise when happens.

Comment

Working...
        X