Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Handler 140 gas hookup. Regulator issue?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handler 140 gas hookup. Regulator issue?

Hey. Got a Handler 140, and have been using it with flux core wire. Have a project needing gas, so I got a tank of 75/25 and got everything hooked up. When I open the valve on the tank, the little nipple on the bottom of the regulator spits out gas like a machine gun. It looks adjustable, with a slotted head, and a nut on it.
    Just not sure how to set it. Can't find any info or video's on it.
    Any advise?

What is the "nipple" you are referring to. What is "everything" that is hooked up? Can you take a picture of your setup or use this picture of a regulator to tell us what part you have a question about? Do you have just a screw instead of the T-handle for pressure adjustment?

The more you screw it in, the higher the pressure it will let through. If screwed out enough, it shuts off the flow.

Comment

I have the T handle and this little nipple on the bottom right of the regulator. Red arrow pointing at it.
      Everything hooked up is regulator to bottle, hose to regulator, hose to welder, polarity reversed, solid wire fed.
      As you can see in the second picture, the nipple has a slotted head with a hole in it. When I open the valve on the tank, gas comes out of that hole and extremely high rate and pops like a machine gun.

Comment

Got it figured out. Tried opening the tank valve again, and adjusting the T handle on the regulator. It quit exhausting gas, and got it dialed in. Tried a few test beads, and WOW! Why didn't I start using gas along time ago!

Comment

That is a pressure release/safety valve....

Yes GMAW, solid wire with shield gas is so much cleaner, it spoils you...

Dale
          Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

Especially if you take the time to clean off dirt, rust, paint, and mill scale...

I was using GMAW a lot for a long time when I was in daily production of stuff. Now, I'm mostly doing repairs and small jobs on dirty steel, and probably haven't hooked up shielding gas in a year. I miss it.

Comment

Originally posted by Backwing View Post
              I have the T handle and this little nipple on the bottom right of the regulator. Red arrow pointing at it.
              Everything hooked up is regulator to bottle, hose to regulator, hose to welder, polarity reversed, solid wire fed.
              As you can see in the second picture, the nipple has a slotted head with a hole in it. When I open the valve on the tank, gas comes out of that hole and extremely high rate and pops like a machine gun.
              That over-pressure release valve is designed to open to protectt the flow-meter case from explosion!

It should only open at a pressure of about 3500 PSI in an OA regulator ( may be different in a flow-meter), so if yours is, or was. opening, that means you have a faulty valve, or it was stuck in the open position after a test.

Stop using the flow-meter and return to dealer for replacement, since you have no idea whether that valve will ever perform its function, and the consequences are unpredictable.
              Last edited by Northweldor; 10-24-2018, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X