Handler 210MVP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handler 210MVP

I'm getting closer to making a decision about a new welder.

My only experience is with stick, and it's very limited.

I started out looking at multi process machines so I could do stick and mig, but they cost more than I wanted to spend.

Then I looked at the Hobart 210i, but thought a mig machine would offer more versatility.

As I continue to do research I think I should be able to do everything I need with a mig only machine.

On another welding forum someone suggested looking at the HF MigMax 215 which is a little over $200 less than the HH 210MVP. I don't mind paying the extra $200+ for the HH 210MVP if it's worth the investment.

Both machines appear to be pretty comparable, but one of the things I like on HF MigMax 215 is the infinite voltage adjustment vs the stepped adjustment on the HH 215MVP, but I'm concerned about after warranty service and availability of parts for the HF MigMax 215.

Is the stepped voltage an issue on the HH 210MVP, or am I worrying about a non-issue?

Here's a bit of a review of the insides by "AVE": https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=Gh51jPKeR9A

--- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
    -------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Rangerhgm View Post
      I'm getting closer to making a decision about a new welder.

My only experience is with stick, and it's very limited.

I started out looking at multi process machines so I could do stick and mig, but they cost more than I wanted to spend.

Then I looked at the Hobart 210i, but thought a mig machine would offer more versatility.

As I continue to do research I think I should be able to do everything I need with a mig only machine.

On another welding forum someone suggested looking at the HF MigMax 215 which is a little over $200 less than the HH 210MVP. I don't mind paying the extra $200+ for the HH 210MVP if it's worth the investment.

Both machines appear to be pretty comparable, but one of the things I like on HF MigMax 215 is the infinite voltage adjustment vs the stepped adjustment on the HH 215MVP, but I'm concerned about after warranty service and availability of parts for the HF MigMax 215.

Is the stepped voltage an issue on the HH 210MVP, or am I worrying about a non-issue?
      With your experience, you will probably find the Hobart easier to set than the HF machine, and the continuous voltage control is highly over-rated, as a welder feature.

You should be paying close attention to the warranty, service-network, and resale value of the Hobart machine over the Chinese version. The first minor HF fault may offer you a choice between spending hundreds on shipping, or owning a shiny boat anchor.

Comment

I agree with Northweldor. In a number of cases, the Hobart experts here have provided guidance and info on third-party components/part numbers to fix older welders long out of warranty. Sometimes it's just a $5 fix, or a frayed gun wire. Try that with HF.
        --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
        -------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Northweldor View Post
          With your experience, you will probably find the Hobart easier to set than the HF machine, and the continuous voltage control is highly over-rated, as a welder feature.

You should be paying close attention to the warranty, service-network, and resale value of the Hobart machine over the Chinese version. The first minor HF fault may offer you a choice between spending hundreds on shipping, or owning a shiny boat anchor.
          This. Nailed it. The Hobart is ONLY $200 more? What a bargain!

Comment

early on you'll find the stepped unit easier to use but as you get a feel for welding you'll likely find yourself wishing you had more control which is where the infinite adjustment comes in. with that said there's absolutely nothing wrong with the 210, it's a great machine. if you'd still rather have a multi process machine you might consider the Lincoln 210MP which is a MIG, stick and TIG machine with infinite settings. believe it comes setup with everything for MIG and stick but you'd need the torch for TIG.

Comment

The 210MVP is a fine machine, especially if you don't plan on carrying it around much. When I worked in a little shop I sold my 2 210MVP's to my employer and used the shop one almost everyday. The second one was used and abused in the field. In the 1 1/2 years that I used the machines I found no major flaws with the shop machine. The field one was treated roughly and, honestly, was too heavy for field work. The plug was broken off, the trigger connection was ripped out, the gun was badly damaged and replaced. Too much strain on the drive motor from a kinked gun liner and it burned out.
              I have the Lincoln 180 for backyard work, but it doesn't have near the top end of the Hobart.. Far lower volts. It is great with .035" fluxcore. With MIG welding it maxes out on 3/16" and has little duty cycle at that output. It is very nice on 1/8" and thinner running 75/25 gas..
              fence and gate shop worker
              At home...
              Lincoln Power MIG 180....
              Winco 6000 watt generator (13 hp Honda) "Big Jake"

Comment

HF vulcan welders come with a mickey mouse warranty. If you want a real warranty it will cost 100 bucks more.

I'm very certain after doing much research into the inverter v transformer debate that the transformer machine is for me.

I looked into the Lincoln Mp and came to the conclusion that having a machine that will do tig would be a waste of time. If I want to learn stick I can buy another stick welder that would probably be better then the multi process machine and still be money ahead.

I'm a very satisfied owner of a HH 210 MVP.

Comment

I finally made up my mind and ordered the 210 MVP yesterday from Blain's F&F

I was temped by the light weight and technology in the inverter machines....light, intuitive and easy to move around, but in the end I felt more comfortable with the transformer, less to go wrong.

IMO the only downside of the transformer machines is the weight.....still portable, but a little on the heavy side if you're going to have to carry it somewhere. I do everything in my garage mine will stay on the welding cart most of the time, but I still have the option to transport it occasionally if necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post

This. Nailed it. The Hobart is ONLY $200 more? What a bargain!
                    After I started this post I found the 210 MVP cheaper at Blain's F&F (no tax and free shipping) so with the tax added on at HF the HH 210 MVP ended up only $70 more than the MigMax 215
                    Last edited by Rangerhgm; 08-18-2018, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rangerhgm View Post

After I started this post I found the 210 MVP cheaper at Blain's F&F (no tax and free shipping) so with the tax added on at HF the HH 210 MVP ended up only $70 more than the MigMax 215
                      Is that with the optional warranty? Don't know for sure but I think it costs 100bucks more.

Comment

The HH210 MVP at Blain's F&F was 799.99 (no tax & free shipping) and the HF Migmax 210 is 679.99 +7.25% tax = 729.29. No optional warranty. With the warranty the HF would be more than the Hobart.

Comment

I'm not sure if it's the same everywhere but the closest welding store to me is a Miller service center and they honor all Hobart warranties.

Do you have a Mills Fleet Farm store near you? Their sale on that model right now is 789.99 and if you buy in store they have a deal with setting up a credit card. First purchase is another 10% off. Thats what I did in 2016 cost for my machine was 675. Haven't used the card since.

Comment

Thanks for the tip, but no Mills Fleet Farm in Ohio at all. It's $10 cheaper than I paid, but $47 for shipping. Blain's shipped for free.

Comment

I see you already bought, good for you, I doubt you will ever regret it. I love mine and use straight c02 gas with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X