X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bnew17
    started a topic Hobart Handler 180 wire feed issue

Hobart Handler 180 wire feed issue

Bear with me on this. I am a novice at best. I was just trying to weld some 18ga tubing and kept getting a lot of popping. I figured it was due to wire speed being too high so i adjusted and same thing. Adjust again and same problem. So i looked at the gun as i hit the trigger and the wire comes out at the same speed (it seems) from the lowest setting all the way to the highest setting. This has never happened before. I have probably only put 3 spools total through the machine in 5 years.

• Hunt4weld
    replied
    My Hobart handler 190 had a wire fall off the back and was doing the same thing yours is, dealer fixed at no cost( just plugged it back in and works as should ...)

Leave a comment:

• bnew17
    replied
    I heard back from York and they have repaired the board for $87 plus shipping. They received it this monday and will ship it back tmrw.
    Last edited by bnew17; 07-26-2018, 06:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Hobart Expert Keith
    replied
    Could be since the design is very similar. The original poster did not indicate that they were wanting to try a repair on a board so a repair service was offered instead.

Leave a comment:

• Dan
    replied
    Keith,
    If I am remembering correctly, if this where a HH 175, the symptoms being describe would point to a high possibility of a failure of component Q1 on the control board. Would this be true for the HH 180 control board too?

Leave a comment:

• Hobart Expert Keith
    replied
    Reconditioned machines came with a 2 year warranty from your date of purchase. Beyond that there is no warranty. You can see if the board can be repaired for less at www.yorkelectronics.com as they are a board repair facility.

Leave a comment:

• bnew17
    replied
    Originally posted by Hobart Expert Keith View Post
    The replacement part# is 238881. Best place for lowest price is www.miller4less.com
    Holy cow!!!! $237 dollars!!!

is there any warranty for this or will you all stand behind the machine? I bought it factory refurbished and have only run 3 spools of wire through it...

Leave a comment:

• Hobart Expert Keith
    replied
    The replacement part# is 238881. Best place for lowest price is www.miller4less.com

Leave a comment:

• bnew17
    replied
    If it read 0 to about 50k ohms as it was adjusted then the pot is good and the problem is in the control board.
    Thanks Keith. Does the setting on the multimeter look correct?

i assume replacing the control board is the least desirable option of the 2. Do you have any idea how much that part would run me?

Leave a comment:

• Hobart Expert Keith
    replied
    If it read 0 to about 50k ohms as it was adjusted then the pot is good and the problem is in the control board.

Leave a comment:

• bnew17
    replied
    Ok so I put the multimeter on the setting shown and when touching the middle and right contact (if you are looking at the fromt of the welder) at 0 wire speed setting it read 47.6 and at 10 it read 0. Touching the middle and left contact at 0 it read 0 and at 10 it read 47.6.

Does this tell what i need to know?

Leave a comment:

• bnew17
    replied
    Originally posted by MAC702 View Post
    Have you Googled or YouTubed "testing a potentiometer?" I have to believe there are several good articles and videos already out there.

To test it, you will not want the machine plugged in. You will use the Ohms (Resistance) portion on your meter, on the contacts on the back of the pot[iometer.] Measure the values while turning the knob.
    I found one video that somewhat shows how to test the pentiometer. I was mistaking i dont have a multimeter...had to buy one today. No instructions with it so i guess ill just have to figure it out. Cant get the cover off my welder. All my sockets and bits wont fit in the crevices. I guess ill go buy some more size sockets tomorrow ans try it again.

Leave a comment:

• MAC702
    replied
    Have you Googled or YouTubed "testing a potentiometer?" I have to believe there are several good articles and videos already out there.

To test it, you will not want the machine plugged in. You will use the Ohms (Resistance) portion on your meter, on the contacts on the back of the pot[iometer.] Measure the values while turning the knob.

Leave a comment:

• bnew17
    replied
    Diagram will be in your manual on in the manuals we have available on our website under the service and support tab.

I have the manual and have located where the potentiometer is per the diagram. My extent of using a volt meter is checking AA batteries...so i literally have no clue what im doing, or even what setting to use. Do i turn the machine on and touch the back of the pentiometer? What should i be touching? Do i need to press the trigger when i do it? Im not trying to be a pest, but i have never done anything like this before and i just want to get this fixed so i can finish my project.

Leave a comment:

• Hobart Expert Keith
    replied
    Diagram will be in your manual on in the manuals we have available on our website under the service and support tab.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X