Wire feed jam unless I lightly pull wire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wire feed jam unless I lightly pull wire

Hi all, extremely frustrated with m Auto Arc 130 welder. Had a new liner installed to the lengths listed in the manual. The wire feed never works, the drive wheel just keeps spinning. I am using .03 flux core with the knurled drive wheel.

It does work if I ever so slightly pull the wire out of the gun. What y'all think?

Have you tried increasing pressure on roller?

Dale
    Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

Take the tip off/out just to see if it makes much difference. While the tip is out look down in the diffusor to see that the liner is seated in there correctly, as in not canted to the side or too short.

Comment

What caused you to replace the liner? Are you having the same symptom before and after?

Comment

I got it used and I guess it's never worked since I've owned it. I even with everything off and just the liner it doesn't come out. I have the pressure set as hard as it can be without stalling.

I switched out the wire to some new .03 mig wire and its still as bad. Though now it will feed very slowly (but the wheel still slips) and once it arcs it gets jammed and stops.

Then I let the wire cool and I pulse the trigger and it will continue to feed until it arcs from welding. But the thing just keeps slipping! What a POS...

Comment

Are you sure you have .030 drive wheel on machine?

Dale

Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

Yes 100%, it is labeled and knurled.

Comment

Tension on roll of wire is not too tight, is it?
                Last edited by wayne50; 04-22-2018, 01:58 PM.
                Miller Challenger 172
                Hobart AC/DC Stickmate
                Older Sears AC stick machine

Comment

Several things go on with flux core and the feed arrangement that you should consider. 1st things 1st tho. Pull out all the wire in the gun that has been through the rollers, cut it off, throw it away. With a ten foot gun you should be able to feed by hand close to 8 or 9 foot down the gun as long as it is straight. Generally feeds snug but is doable down to about the curve. Do that. Carefully but firmly just a few inches at a time to see where the restriction might be. When you can't feed anymore by hand it should then be easily fed by motor for the last 1 or 2 feet. If not you know what area the restriction is in. I'm still betting it's at the liner to diffuser junction. If it feeds by the motor drive for about ten feet then starts giving you fits,,,,,,,,,,, Guess where the problem is. The feed and roller.

Flux core crushes fairly easily, that's why they have migrated towards the knurled rollers. But on the other hand it also scarfs easily and that's what the knurled roller does best. Plus the tip is fairly flush fit, it needs to be because that's is better place to pass the voltage/current to the wire. When you over tighten the feed roller you start crushing the wire as well as creating knurled burrs along the entire length. When that gets to the tips you are gonna have problems, so you tighten the feed even more and so-on. There is a process for setting the wire feed tension in the manual, That needs to be followed.

Comment

Very well said Sandy. Good tips to follow.
                    Keith

Comment

Working...
                    X