Mig setting explanation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mig setting explanation

Is there a good tutorial or something I can copy for explaining the wire speed and voltage settings. Something beter than I can do it in my own words, So many think the voltage is the amperage. I want something a bit more clear than I can make it and to tell the truth been at it so long simply do it by instinct.
    http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Enter this phrase into google search window and you will find what you are looking for.

"understanding mig welding voltage and wire speed settings"

Comment

With Stick welding, the setting is amperage, and the voltage fluctuates depending on the arc length.

With wire welding, the main setting is voltage, and the amperage is changing depending on the wire feed speed (which is also adjustable) and the wire stick-out length.

That's how I'd describe it in a nutshell. I know you already know how to do it, and just looking for a concise way to describe it to others.

Comment

Originally posted by Sberry View Post
        Is there a good tutorial or something I can copy for explaining the wire speed and voltage settings. Something beter than I can do it in my own words, So many think the voltage is the amperage. I want something a bit more clear than I can make it and to tell the truth been at it so long simply do it by instinct.
        The best I ever found is a couple of short articles by Jason Rausch of Edison Welding Institute. They not only explain the 4 main factors current, voltage, contact to work distance, and travel speed, but they also have photos of welds and etchings for each factor showing effects of increasing or decreasing that factor. Even experienced mig welders will find that these articles add clarity to their thinking about setting. For instance, how many can explain why that, in GMAW, and other types of welding, increasing your travel speed can improve penetration?

The link is to the article on current and voltage. At the bottom , you can continue to the second article on CTWD and travel speed.

https://ewi.org/gas-metal-arc-weldin...lding-voltage/

https://ewi.org/gas-metal-arc-weldin...distance-ctwd/
        Last edited by Northweldor; 04-13-2018, 08:46 AM.

Comment

I'm sure you already know what you've asked, you're just looking for the answer in different words.

""Direct current, constant potential (voltage) power sources are used for most mig welding. This contrasts with tig and stick electrode welding which use constant current power sources. A mig power source provides a relatively constant voltage to the arc during welding. This voltage determines the arc length. When there is a sudden change in wire-feed speed, or a momentary change in arc length, the power source abruptly increases or decreases the current (and thereby the wire burnoff rate) depending on the arc length change. The burnoff rate of wire changes automatically to restore the original arc length. As a result, permanent changes in arc length are made by adjusting the output voltage of the power source. The wire-feed speed, which the operator selects prior to welding, determines the arc current (see Fig. 3-1). It can be changed over a considerable range before the arc length changes enough to cause stubbing to the workpiece or burning back to the guide tube.""

http://www.esabna.com/euweb/mig_handbook/592mig3_1.htm

If you get a chance read the whole thing from start to finish to see if it offers a different perspective.

Comment

Hi, I know you are not a beginner, But in very simple terms Start by setting your volts where you think they should be for the weight of material
            Then adjust the wire speed until you find the sweet spot for the volts. If too hot . or too cold adjust the volts up or down and fine tune the wire speed again If wire speed is too fast for the volts you will feel the wire tapping the metal Too slow and it will burn off at the tip
            I know this is a very basic Non technical explanation But a starting point, Joe

Comment

He's not asking how to weld. He's asking different ideas for explaining how wire speed controls amperage (heat) into the weld.

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post
                He's not asking how to weld. He's asking different ideas for explaining how wire speed controls amperage (heat) into the weld.
                Right! Sberry can probably out weld any of those who replied so far. I sent a reply a couple of days ago but the system "flagged" my post. Where has it gone, Keith?

Now posted above, as 4/13/17.
                Last edited by Northweldor; 04-18-2018, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Alright. Just wanted to share my very limited knowledge

Comment

Working...
                  X