Hobart 190 handler

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobart 190 handler

Bought above welder at a big discounted price b/c it said on note that the wire feed needed fixed

My main question is how to best test it out without damaging anything else ( never welded anything with a wire feed )

The tip was removed and also has alot of mess on it( like no tip lube was used and they may have broke it, not sure )

Guess I need a good starting point for checking wirefeed components

A couple videos I've watched on this say that a lot a of people do not have the tension set correctly and just assume the wire feed is not working properly, which could be all it is that is supposedly wrong with unit

You can't break it any further by plugging it in and seeing if the motor turns when you pull the trigger.

There's no "tip lube" needed.

Comment

Ok thanks

Next I need to add outlet from panel( what's recommended amperage for the 220v outlet?)

I'm hoping that the person bought it, used once and just made up excuse that the wire feed was broken to get there more ey back...

Got tank of 75/25 other day and 11lb roll of .30 to hopefully try out this weekend

Got multiple projects needed for and we have a hobby farm that it seams like there's always something that needs welded...

Worst case scenario is it's truly broken and I'll have to take it to get fixed under warranty ( been told there's a Hobart service center in Akron Ohio near me?)

​​​​

Comment

Here is link to the HH 190 manual, everything you need to know is there....

https://www.hobartwelders.com/om/6di...60273d_hob.pdf

Also check "Spool Gun" switch may be in wrong position....

Also there is "Service & Support" tab on home page I believe, that may be of help..

Dale
        Last edited by Dale M.; 03-21-2018, 09:57 PM.
        Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunt4weld View Post
          ...Next I need to add outlet from panel( what's recommended amperage for the 220v outlet?...​​​​
          You can probably use a 30A circuit (minimum #14 copper), but if you are running a new circuit, you might want to run a 50A (minimum #12 copper) and be able to power larger machines later. These wire sizes are for welding machines only. If you are wanting the circuit to be available for anything else, it needs to be standard wire sizes of at least #10 copper for a 30A (like a dryer circuit) or #8 or #6 (depending on circumstances) for a 50A circuit (like a range circuit).
          Last edited by MAC702; 03-21-2018, 10:38 PM.

Comment

I was able to have some spare time and got my power ran and put some 030 wire into welder and got the wire to completely come out of of the tip !!! So I'm hoping that the person that returned it was just saying that to get their money back!the only thing I don't know is if the speed control is working correctly (wire feed speed) it seems to run the same speed no matter where I put the dial (0-100)?

Comment

I've not yet actually tried to weld anything I'm just checking everything that I can out ahead of time to make sure nothing is faulty

So when I say that speed of the wire feed was the same from zero to 100 that was with no wire being fed through the rollers just depressing the trigger and watching how fast the wheel was spinning then let off the trigger and went to the complete opposite speed and I could not tell a difference in revolutions.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunt4weld View Post
                ...So when I say that speed of the wire feed was the same from zero to 100 that was with no wire being fed through the rollers just depressing the trigger and watching how fast the wheel was spinning then let off the trigger and went to the complete opposite speed and I could not tell a difference in revolutions.
                It is perfectly fine and normal to adjust wire speed while welding. So you don't have to let off the trigger to change wire speed. However, you should have seen the difference. It seems we had a thread here not too long ago about what is broken when the wire speed won't change.

Comment

Problem could be as simple as bad potentiometer for wire speed control...

Dale

Comment

That's why I specified that I did not do this while running wire through machine because I didn't know if without wire actually running through roller if it would move at a different rate while turning knob I guess what I'm asking is has anyone tried holding they're they're trigger down without any wire and scene if wheel spins the same rate without any load from The Wire possibly?

Comment

Yes. You will notice the huge difference in speeds whether it is pushing wire or not.

Comment

Ok, maybe there is an issue with units speed drive then

I was told when I bought it not to return it to them. I have to take it to an actual Hobart certified dealer , which it which looks like there's one nearby me I just wanted to do my due diligence and test all that I could on my own before I took it to them, thanks guys for your insight and I'll post back what they find out...

Comment

Go slowly... Wait till monday morning and see if Hobart tech replies with some help in diagnosing problem.... Usually tech help is spot on with responses...

Dale

Comment

Sent email to them, maybe just a wire termination came off or worst case scenario they need to replace speed control ( warranty items from what I'm told as the warranty started the day of my purchase)

Comment

Just went back out and tried to feed a bunch of wire through it while turning the 0 through 100 knob back and forth and it did not seem to change the wire speed output

I was kind of hoping that it would only vary the wire speed output when it was actually welding

Comment

Working...
                              X