Handler 210 plug

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handler 210 plug

I've read through a number of threads about wiring but can't find a straightforward answer to the following:

If the max draw of the Handler 210 (in 240V mode) is 24 amps, why is their plug a 50 amp. I have an available outlet (240v/30a) and would like to plug in the welder without using a plug converter.

The unit draws 24 amps at rated output of 150 amps. If you want full capabilities on 230 input, put it on a 40 amp service.

Comment

The 6-50 plug is Hobart's "standard" plug!..... If you want different plug, rewire welder, if you want to use Hobart's standard (6-50) change your receptical, what ever you do be sure your "service" is wired for rated capacity of welder and plug/receptical you would like to use (wire gauge/breaker capacity) ...

Dale
      Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale M. View Post
        The 6-50 plug is Hobart's "standard" plug!..... If you want different plug, rewire welder, if you want to use Hobart's standard (6-50) change your receptical, what ever you do be sure your "service" is wired for rated capacity of welder and plug/receptical you would like to use (wire gauge/breaker capacity) ...

Dale
        P. 18 of manual states that changing the plug voids the warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by Northweldor View Post

P. 18 of manual states that changing the plug voids the warranty.
          Yeah.... Forgot to mention that... Look like only solution may be receptical and house/shop wiring...

Comment

It's just like having a standard plug for household appliances. A 100 watt lamp fixture has a 15 amp plug on it. All small to medium 230 volt welders in the U.S. should come with the 6-50P as a standard.

Comment

Just like quick connect air fittings should be all one size, but no there has to be at least 8 different ones and you always forget what you have standing in front bins when buying more....

Dale

Comment

As mentioned, the standard "welder plug" is the 50A configuration. Many of us have built adapter cords to use existing receptacles of other configurations. I'd rather do that than change the cord or plug as I often want the extra length anyway.

Comment

The 6-50 has been the standard plug for 208/240 volts for about 50 amps or less input. The wire size and plug robustness may vary quite a bit, but still has the same prong configuration. The Lincoln PowerMig 180 takes 20 amps input at the rated output. Still has the "50 amp welder" plug. No, the cord was never designed for anything over about 30 amps, even intermittently
                  fence and gate shop worker
                  At home...
                  Lincoln Power MIG 180..."Big Jake"
                  Winco 6000 watt generator (13 hp Honda)

Comment

I am looking at the Hobart 210 and the spoolrunner 100 for welding aluminum. I do not have 230v yet, but plan to add it in the future. My question is, what thickness of aluminum can I weld with 110v?
                    thank you

Comment

Originally posted by RobertB7 View Post
                      I am looking at the Hobart 210 and the spoolrunner 100 for welding aluminum. I do not have 230v yet, but plan to add it in the future. My question is, what thickness of aluminum can I weld with 110v?
                      thank you
                      Believe the Spool Runner 100 for the Hobart 210 is discontinued.... Subject came up a few days ago IF you want to search for it....Other wise Kieth will come along soon and verify this...

Comment

Working...
                      X