Handler 140 feeds but won't arc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handler 140 feeds but won't arc

I bought a handler 140 a few weeks ago to teach myself how to weld and everything has been going great until today. It had some feed issues that keep causing a birds next and after some adjusting I was able to get it feeding with no issues.

Unfortunately it now won't strike an arc - it makes a spark and then nothing. I double checked all of the connections to make sure nothing was loose and everything looked good. After searching around it seems like it could be an issue with the liner causing a short? I'm thinking about getting another liner to test it as I figure I'll use it eventually anyways.

Before I do anything else though I wanted to see if there any suggestions for what else could be causing this problem?

A liner couldn't cause a short unless something is very wrong somewhere, like damaged. Just call Hobart customer service.
    --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
    -------------------------

Comment

dug, welcome to the forum.
      Lincoln A/C 225
      Everlast PA 200

Comment

I've been welding, mostly wirefed, for twenty years. I've never had to replace a liner. I don't know what kind of abuse you have to do to break a liner, but it must be something rare.

Recheck all your settings. Including voltage selection, wire speed, and the polarity connections and cable connections. I'm thinking that model didn't have had a "purge" setting, but just making sure.

When it sparks, is it burning the wire up into the contact tip?

Comment

I've tried different settings with no difference. I hadn't changed anything with the wiring but did double check to make sure nothing was loose and all looks good. I switched polarity a while back so I could do gas and it had been welding fine so I think it's good there too.

Yes, it did sometimes burn the wire to the tip, although I haven't messed with it enough to say it does it every time. I'm going to work on it some more tonight and give customer service a call. Hopefully they are open later in the evening.

Thanks for the advice on the liner - that helps to narrow things down.
          Last edited by dug; 02-06-2017, 12:34 PM.

Comment

I just need to make sure that since you are new that to welding that when you are trying to weld are you holding the trigger down the whole time. The wire welders will not arc if the trigger closure is not maintained.

Keith

Comment

Originally posted by dug View Post
              ...everything has been going great until today. It had some feed issues that keep causing a birds next and after some adjusting I was able to get it feeding with no issues. ...
              So what exactly did you "adjust" to fix the problem?
              Last edited by MAC702; 02-06-2017, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Yes, I'm pulling the trigger and it's feeding wire just fine. I'm about a third of the way through making a welding table so it's been working great until yesterday.

I thought maybe I was getting a bad ground so I tried some other scrap I practiced on before and got the same thing - a quick spark and nothing else.

Comment

What is the size and condition of the contact tip?

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post
                    So what exactly did you "adjust" to fix the problem?
                    It was pretty frustrating as I hadn't had any issues before. I think what might have been happening is it wouldn't arc and since it was still feeding the wire would birdsnest at the rollers.

I adjusted so there was enough force to push the wire but when the wire hits something the rollers slip so it won't keep feeding. That let me keep testing without having to clear a jam every time I tried to start a new weld.
                    Last edited by dug; 02-06-2017, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post
                      What is the size and condition of the contact tip?
                      While trouble shooting I swapped in a new tip and it was one of the ones that came with the welder. The wire I'm using is .030 and the same size as the flux core that came with it.
                      Last edited by dug; 02-06-2017, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Make sure you are still getting DC voltage at the weld terminals. The unit is still producing weld power or the feed would not work as well so we must either don't have a good ground or we are not getting the weld power to the actual weld terminals.

Keith

Comment

Flip the wire feed tensioner off and put DC volt meter across the plus/minus (+/-) terminals where you change polarity, you should see something like 18 to 28 volts DC with gun trigger pulled...

Dale
                          Last edited by Dale M.; 02-06-2017, 08:49 PM.
                          "Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

Originally posted by Dale M. View Post
                            Flip the wire feed tensioner off and put DC volt meter across the plus/minus (+/-) terminals where you change polarity, you should see something like 18 to 28 volts DC with gun trigger pulled...

Dale
                            Put a meter on it and it's showing 24 volts with the trigger pulled.

I did some more testing tonight and with wire feed and voltage on the lowest settings it sometimes was kind of welding. It would "sputter" but not make a consistent solid weld. On the higher settings it wouldn't do anything other than spark on contact.

Comment

Originally posted by dug View Post
                              ...I did some more testing tonight and with wire feed and voltage on the lowest settings it sometimes was kind of welding. It would "sputter" but not make a consistent solid weld. On the higher settings it wouldn't do anything other than spark on contact.
                              Hmmm. I remember the voltage selector switch on my HH210 once had a single tap go bad somehow. It would weld on most of the taps, but not on #2. It was a long time ago, but it might have been a similar symptom. I can't see every tap going bad on the switch, though. A new switch repaired mine.

Comment

Working...
                              X