Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobart Handler 135 wire feed motor help please

Hi my name is Jay and I'm a welderaholic this is my first post so be gentle

I just picked up a Handler 135 to dink around with on one those facebook swap sites....met at a place with no power and you guessed plugged it in and no wire feed.........I know lesson learned small town ain't so small no more.

It has voltage to the motor between 12 and 24ish volts depending on wire speed setting.
    I pulled the motor and took the gear box apart and cleaned and relubed it attached the thing to 12 volt battery and it spins happily with lots of torque...........

So I put it back in (proud of myself) and plug it in pull the trigger nothing..........unplug the wires check them for voltage again perfect attach the battery to motor again spins away.....
    Button it back up and nothing........

I used the search function looking for similar problems nothing seemed to match my problem...please help

ohhh i also read amps when running motor it was .5 amps or so i tried to stop motor not it was not easily done.

If your voltage selector switch is set to the purge setting, the wire drive will not feed wire. If your voltage selector switch isn't set exactly to one of the 1- 4 settings the wire won't feed. When you pull the gun trigger do you have a DC voltage present across the output studs in the wire drive compartment? Depending on the tap this voltage should fall somewhere in the 18 - 28 volt range.

The HH 135 is very notorious for have component Q1 on the control board fail. Component PTC1 can be troublesome too. There are posts from Hobart Experts, on this forum, where they helped HH 135 or HH 175 owners fix these control board issues.
    MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
    Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
      If your voltage selector switch is set to the purge setting, the wire drive will not feed wire. If your voltage selector switch isn't set exactly to one of the 1- 4 settings the wire won't feed. When you pull the gun trigger do you have a DC voltage present across the output studs in the wire drive compartment? Depending on the tap this voltage should fall somewhere in the 18 - 28 volt range.

The HH 135 is very notorious for have component Q1 on the control board fail. Component PTC1 can be troublesome too. There are posts from Hobart Experts, on this forum, where they helped HH 135 or HH 175 owners fix these control board issues.

I've seen these components listed as troublesome.But my voltage seems to check out at the harness then plug it in and is doesn't work very odd to me. It seems like if those components were bad the volts wouldn't be there or they would be reduced.....

Comment

Check the voltage to the motor while the motor is still connected to the board. If the voltage goes away then either Q1 is open or PTC1 is open. Most likely PTC1 since the voltage will vary. Simply short out PTC1 to test. If motor runs you can replace that component.

Keith

Comment

q1 is showing voltage drop between collector and emitter so its got the sickness..........off to look for pn.....

It showed no volts when plugged in for future searchers with this problem

Comment

Search the forum for Q1 and you'll find the equivalent replacement part number.
            --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
            -------------------------

Comment

I know these are old posts but it sure came in handy today! I have a Hobart 135 and when I would pull the trigger the solenoid would just click but the drive motor would not run. I put 12 volts to the motor and it would run. Then read that the voltage selector needs to be right on or it will not feed. Presto! I moved the voltage selector and it worked! I haven't used the welder for months and I thought I was going to need to purchase a circuit board.

Comment

Working...
              X