Torch gets hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torch gets hot

I have a 250 amp Panasonic Gunslinger 261, been welding about 30 years so I have some experience.
    this machine has a 300 amp tweco torch that originally came with this welder. I have been welding heavy steel (1 inch) in multi pass welds. I am only using .030 wire at about 150 amps welds look to be penetrating well but it gets hot enough to cause the wire to stick often in the tip and the nozzle will start to glow after a bit of welding. I'm running solid core wire with 75/25 gas. Am I not running the wire feed fast enough that it tends to run too hot. is 150 amps too much for.030 wire I am going through a lot of tips or is there a different type or longer nozzle I could run .035 wire but didn't want to change and buy all parts to do it becaause I don't always weld stuff that is this heavy. Any suggestions to get it to run cooler?
    LMK

I'll be watching your thread.
    I would think a tad more wire speed might get the origen point of the arc a little further away from the tip.
    But my I haven't mig'ed since about 2004, so ...
    sigpicViceGrip
    Negative people have a problem for every solution

Comment

You might need to tweak your drive rolls and check if they are right for the wire
      if its intermittent, or watch to see if you're binding up the wire when moving the torch about.

If it does it all the time more wire speed seems logical to try. Is it that difficult?

Comment

Originally posted by fabricator View Post
        I have a 250 amp Panasonic Gunslinger 261, been welding about 30 years so I have some experience.
        this machine has a 300 amp tweco torch that originally came with this welder. I have been welding heavy steel (1 inch) in multi pass welds. I am only using .030 wire at about 150 amps welds look to be penetrating well but it gets hot enough to cause the wire to stick often in the tip and the nozzle will start to glow after a bit of welding. I'm running solid core wire with 75/25 gas. Am I not running the wire feed fast enough that it tends to run too hot. is 150 amps too much for.030 wire I am going through a lot of tips or is there a different type or longer nozzle I could run .035 wire but didn't want to change and buy all parts to do it becaause I don't always weld stuff that is this heavy. Any suggestions to get it to run cooler?
        Yes, 150 amps is about 5 to 10 amps above the operating range of .030 wire on short-circuit transfer, and for that thickness, you really should be using a heavier wire and spray transfer to get more deposition. However, since this is not practical (for you) for an occasional job thicker than 1/2", try cutting back on the amperage to about 140. Another parameter you might change is increasing your gas flow, since this will increase cooling.

Comment

Working...
        X