Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What type welding jacket will stop mig weld splatter from burning me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type welding jacket will stop mig weld splatter from burning me?

I am underneath a car welding some floor pans and sometimes weld splatter will burn through my sweater and then burn me.

What type of welding jacket will stop this from happening. A small BB sized weld splatter burned me yesterday and it didn't feel very good.

A lot of jackets say they are "flame retardant" but flames are NOT the issue. It is the molten metal that sometimes pops off and then burns through your clothes that IS the issue.

Any suggestions will be good.
    Last edited by 1320King; 08-05-2014, 01:20 PM.

I am a hobbyist and I have the cloth jacket and like it just fine. For your type of work you may need a leather jacket.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Hobart AC/DC Stickmate
    Older Sears AC stick machine

Comment

The only welding jacket that will stop those pesky weld spatters from burning you and melting your sweater is the one you are wearing!

'Flame retardant' is definitely good------flames will be an issue if you weld long enough without flame retardant clothing. Molten metal can do this sometimes. Definitely don't wear any nylon/synthetic stuff. Buy and wear a real welding jacket. That's what they're made for. I have a cloth Miller, which I usually wear---it's cooler and lighter, but I have a leather one I wore for classes where we did stick welding, flame-cutting, etc. Anything overhead and I'd grab the leather one.
      Last edited by MarkG; 08-09-2014, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Leather is tops cotton is second best. Do not wear anything synthetic...

Found out dark colors (black) will not reflect as much light into back side of helmet as lighter colors (medium green)..

Avoid this color...

I have one of the black cotton jackets with the ridiculous red flames but it protect s me, keep it buttoned up to throat... Seems "ok" for hobby welder...

http://workingperson.com/black-stall...cket-bx9c.html

Dale
        Last edited by Dale M.; 08-05-2014, 07:38 PM.
        Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

It sounds like you guys are saying both leather and cloth type jackets will stop the molten metal from getting me. Thanks.

The cloth jackets are cheaper but I don't know if they are better than the leather jackets.

I am going to buy the MILLER 244752 WELDING JACKET, 9oz. FR cotton

Comment

Originally posted by 1320King View Post
            It sounds like you guys are saying both leather and cloth type jackets will stop the molten metal from getting me. Thanks.

The cloth jackets are cheaper but I don't know if they are better than the leather jackets.

I am going to buy the MILLER 244752 WELDING JACKET, 9oz. FR cotton
            Went through a couple of these in apprenticeship stage, and and found they will only stop small sparks, and only for a while.. If you are talking about molten metal, as in cutting or gouging, and durability , leather is the only answer. (if too hot, get cape sleeves and apron-leggings).
            Last edited by Northweldor; 08-06-2014, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Go get you man shirt on, leave the cardigan in the closet, then put your leathers on, or an FR jacket.
              Walker
              Chief slag chipper & floor sweeper
              Ironwood Artistic

Comment

Working...
              X