bubbles in welds 140 mig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bubbles in welds 140 mig

Hi i have a hobart 140 mig 115volt running .35 solid wire with 75/25 gas. The machine is 2 years old and i had purchased at a tractor supply. My problem is I am getting lots of small bubbles in my welds, also the welds don't seem to penetrate the steel very good. I do have the polarity for the wire correct negative ground for solid wire i believe. I have tried a new wire spool thinking the wire was bad, gas bottle is full, volts going to the machine are good, and the steel I am trying the weld is prepped clean. Prior to this problem the machine laid down perfect welds and penetrated steel great its almost like i don't have enough heat on any of the settings. let me know what you guys think thanks.

Originally posted by kingmechanic View Post
    Hi i have a hobart 140 mig 115volt running .35 solid wire with 75/25 gas. The machine is 2 years old and i had purchased at a tractor supply. My problem is I am getting lots of small bubbles in my welds, also the welds don't seem to penetrate the steel very good. I do have the polarity for the wire correct negative ground for solid wire i believe. I have tried a new wire spool thinking the wire was bad, gas bottle is full, volts going to the machine are good, and the steel I am trying the weld is prepped clean. Prior to this problem the machine laid down perfect welds and penetrated steel great its almost like i don't have enough heat on any of the settings. let me know what you guys think thanks.
    Are you sure the gas is coming through the hose and through the whip and gun? Also, what size wire were you using when you got the "perfect" welds?
    Last edited by Northweldor; 07-08-2014, 11:28 AM.

Comment

I'm positive I have no leaks and yes the gas is coming out of the end of the whip. I have always used .35 solid wire and have never had a problem with it until now. I even tried using .30 solid wire and got the same pores in my welds.

Comment

Originally posted by kingmechanic View Post
        I'm positive I have no leaks and yes the gas is coming out of the end of the whip. I have always used .35 solid wire and have never had a problem with it until now. I even tried using .30 solid wire and got the same pores in my welds.
        Anything different about the material you are trying to weld? Have you been through all the trouble-shooting steps in the manual? Wire feeding correctly and responding to changes in speed? What happens when you increase gas flow, and do you have a flowmeter or regulator type? What happens when you increase or decrease stick-out?

Comment

You Might check your gas seliniod , located in the wire feeder

When you say bubbles im assuming you mean porosity and that could be from a various of things. Like in proper preparation of the base metal, gas getting stuck in the weld metal. Too much air flow, hoses damaged. One of the most obvious is air or draft. But if you are sure you a prepping good and your hoses are good/ connection by the gages are good. I would check the gas solenoid. check with your manufacture for the location in the wire feeder they a relatively cheap to fix. But one quick question after you prep your base metals are your using any kind of Anti splatter or nozzle gel?

Comment

even if your material is clean, you can get porosity if it is inferior steel. I have gotten hold of some carbon pipe over the years that I could not TIG weld on unless I used SS filler wire in the root. rare, but not unheard of. be halfway through a pass & POP! where in #$%^ did THAT come from?

Comment

Its usually my shop fan that ends up being the culprit...but all of the above.
              "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Bubbles ... a one and a two and a ...

Attached Files
                --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
                -------------------------

Comment

how good is the ground ? play with your wire speed .what is your shielding gas regulator set at ?

Comment

Working...
                  X