Handler 190 not welding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handler 190 not welding

About 8 months ago I bought a new Handler 190 over to Tractor Supply. They're close and the folks there are very friendly and the prices are good. I never set it up because the job fell through and now that it nice and I have the time I thought this would be a great time to see how much different a Mig-Welder is compared to my old stick welder.

I set everything up according to the instructions. Most of its already done but since I only have the small spools of wire I had to remove the large adapter so the small spools can be mounted. To get my feet wet I thought the flux core wire would be a good choice then I discovered that the kit came with a small spool included..

Once I determined the correct values for the steel I was welding, I set both the corresponding voltage and wire feed speed. I may have to fine tune it but the numbers should be a good place to start.

Machine Plugged In - Check!
    Power Switch On - Check
    Wire Fed Through - Check
    Copper Tip In Place - Check
    Brass Tip In Place - Check
    Wire Feeding through properly - Check
    Ground Attached - Check

Strike an Arc - Nothing
    Check Ground Clamp - Good
    Strike an Arc - Nothing
    Check Polarity - According to the directions good!
    Strike an Arc - Nothing
    Touch wire directly to ground clamp - Nothing
    Touch wire directly to ground wire - Nothing

While Albert Einstein I'm not, I am pretty darn good with machines and understand how things "should work" yet this one just doesn't want to cooperate...

While I may not be proficient in Mig-Welding yet, I believe I'm experienced enough with welding in general and life itself to deserve at least a little arc or pop to show me there's life in there somewhere...

I would appreciate any insight you might have.....

Bobby

Originally posted by NightForce View Post
    About 8 months ago I bought a new Handler 190 over to Tractor Supply. They're close and the folks there are very friendly and the prices are good. I never set it up because the job fell through and now that it nice and I have the time I thought this would be a great time to see how much different a Mig-Welder is compared to my old stick welder.

I set everything up according to the instructions. Most of its already done but since I only have the small spools of wire I had to remove the large adapter so the small spools can be mounted. To get my feet wet I thought the flux core wire would be a good choice then I discovered that the kit came with a small spool included..

Once I determined the correct values for the steel I was welding, I set both the corresponding voltage and wire feed speed. I may have to fine tune it but the numbers should be a good place to start.

Machine Plugged In - Check!
    Power Switch On - Check
    Wire Fed Through - Check
    Copper Tip In Place - Check
    Brass Tip In Place - Check
    Wire Feeding through properly - Check
    Ground Attached - Check

Strike an Arc - Nothing
    Check Ground Clamp - Good
    Strike an Arc - Nothing
    Check Polarity - According to the directions good!
    Strike an Arc - Nothing
    Touch wire directly to ground clamp - Nothing
    Touch wire directly to ground wire - Nothing

While Albert Einstein I'm not, I am pretty darn good with machines and understand how things "should work" yet this one just doesn't want to cooperate...

While I may not be proficient in Mig-Welding yet, I believe I'm experienced enough with welding in general and life itself to deserve at least a little arc or pop to show me there's life in there somewhere...

I would appreciate any insight you might have.....

Bobby

Not to insult or anything but, have you tried squeezing the trigger when touching the ground or work? I say this because you said "STRIKE an arc - nothing". Which is what you do on a stick welder, but with a mig you must squeeze the trigger to energize the wire.

Comment

Is the rocker switch in the wire drive compartment set to the MIG location? Is the thumb screw on the wire drive tightened snuggly.
      MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
      Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

Originally posted by CRACKCORN View Post
        Not to insult or anything but, have you tried squeezing the trigger when touching the ground or work? I say this because you said "STRIKE an arc - nothing". Which is what you do on a stick welder, but with a mig you must squeeze the trigger to energize the wire.
        For years I've been telling everyone; " The only stupid question is the one that's not asked"

To tell you the truth I may not have! Thank you for conveying the basics along to a beginner..

Originally posted by Dan View Post
        Is the rocker switch in the wire drive compartment set to the MIG location? Is the thumb screw on the wire drive tightened snuggly.
        I'll check this out as well!

Thank you!

Comment

also make sure the power tap switch is properly placed .I did this once .

Comment

Working...
          X