Handler 125 wire feeds backwards

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handler 125 wire feeds backwards

I bought a handler 125 about 3 years ago and never even took it out of the box until yesterday. Started setting it up and followed all directions. Undid the tension clamp and ran the wire through the middle of the feed wheels right in the groove and fed the wire into the tiny hole that feeds the gun. When I squeeze the trigger according to directions, the wire feeds BACKWARDS toward the spool. I lifted the clamp and then squeezed the trigger and watched the bottom wheel spinning counterclockwise which would of course send the wire backward. Anybody ever hear of this and/or know the fix? I'm guessing I'd have to take it apart and switch the leads to the wire feed motor or something like that since they were probably put on wrong? Thanks.

Motor wires are on backwards would be my guess.... If you go into it, be sure its unplugged....

Dale
    Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

Set that unit up with a tank of Argoff and use it to remove welds.
      --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
      -------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Dale M. View Post
        Motor wires are on backwards would be my guess.... If you go into it, be sure its unplugged....

Dale
        Thanks Dale, that's about what I figured. I guess since the Chinese read right to left, they mixed up the **** diagram.

Comment

Originally posted by usmcpop View Post
          Okay, that took me a minute. At first I thought you were replying to another post and did this one by accident, but when I finally got it, I realized that was pretty frickin clever. So how long have you been saving that one up waiting to use it on a problem like this LOL? Hey, I'm guessing by your username you did a little time in the Core. I never did, but am eternally grateful to all of you who did. Thanks for everything - especially the laugh about the argoff and removing welds. Brilliant and funny as ****!

Comment

There was some joking about argoff on this forum years ago. Never thought an opportunity would come up with a reversed wire feed motor.

I wasn't in the Corps, my son was. KIA in Iraq, unfortunately.

Comment

Good one! (I'm going to steal it).

Comment

There was some joking about argoff on this forum years ago. Never thought an opportunity would come up with a reversed wire feed motor.

I wasn't in the Corps, my son was. KIA in Iraq, unfortunately.
                Well, glad an opportunity came along to use argoff amd removing welds in context. Still making me laugh!
                And really sorry to hear about your son. I'm grateful (and saddened) every day for people like him (and you). Thanks again.

Comment

OK, here's one of the old references to Argoff:

http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...815#post147815

Pumpkinhead said: "C25 contains Argon, at the bottom of the cyl. is Argoff, if you tilt it more than 22.5 degrees you will draw the Argoff into the weld zone, this has been known to remove your preceeding weld, leaving you with a gap where a gap existed before you started to weld. "

Comment

There are times I could use argoff... Probably cleaner than grinder

But how does it reform the wire and put it back on spool?

Dale

Comment

When I was a kid in school we used to get some of the teachers to run the movies backwards (hey, it was color, at least) and it was funny to see people spit out unchewed food on their forks, smoke going back into stacks, etc. I guess reforming the wire would be similar to that. Hey, if you can have argoff, anything is possible.
                      Blacksmith
                      Stickmate LX AC/DC
                      Big cheap (Chinese) Anvil
                      Hand cranked coal forge
                      Freon bottle propane forge
                      HH 210 and bottle of C25

Comment

Some of the maintenance manuals in auto parts stores spend 200 pages explaining how to disassemble an engine. Then on the last page it states "reassembly is the reverse of the previous procedure". Like building your house is the opposite of blowing it up. I found it was usually much easier to take something apart then getting it back together without having a few mystery parts left over.......
                        CanoeCruiser
                        Harris dual-stage O/A
                        Lincoln AC/DC buzzbox
                        Hobart IronMan 210
                        Lincoln PowerMig 135
                        Miller 3035 spoolgun
                        Thermal Arc 185
                        Thermadyne Cutmaster 52
                        Angle grinders, vicegrips, the usual suspects
                        Two hands, tired body, not enough time...

Comment

Is the motor wired backwards as opposed to the connections being backwards? I don't see switching the wires netting anything.

Comment

Internally wired opposite.

Comment

IF its a dc motor the polarity of the wiring makes all the difference in the world....

Dale

Comment

Working...
                              X