How long do drive rollers last?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long do drive rollers last?

I know when to replace the liner, tips, nozzle, but no one ever talks about the drive rollers.

I've got a Hobart 210 MVP, and I love it and it's new.

I looked all over the net, and found nothing.

The only thing I see is when it doesn't feed the wire no more.

Someone a while back told me that a lot of birdnesting can damage them too.

I've only birdnested mine once, because I set the feed rate too high and was welding wrong. User error.

But I'm curious... because I never see this mentioned.

Thought provoking!

Basically, my belief is they are not considered a "Consumable" like the other parts you mentioned.
    The only usual reason to change one is for wire size or type. Like an 023/030 for an 035 or a smooth for a notched type for Flux Core.
    Other than that the ones on the open accessory wire feeds at work seem to run through many pounds of wire in a dirty Industrial Welding Environment with no Ill Effect.

Comment

For home use , you may never have to change the drive rolls. I have had to change wheels, as they were visibly worn. Most of the time the drive wheels I have changed were on machines that were used 12 or more hours a day 5-6 days a week, or/and machines running stainless for extended periods of time. There is no magic number the drive wheels must be changed within, even in a professional shop. I would not worry too much about it in the home setting
      Miller dynasty 350
      Miller syncrowave 250
      Miller deltaweld 450
      Miller cp-300
      And one fancy microwelding setup

Comment

rollers are long life

We have numerous Lincoln 215's at work and these are used for production work with 33# rolls of wire. Maybe 1 roll per week per machine. I have been using these machines for 8 years. Two are only about 6 years old. All have original drive roles. Maybe once or twice a year there could be a slippage of the wire and it is usually caused by a flake of something stuck in the groove. Just run your fingernail through the groove a few times if you see any copper flakes. Serrated drive rolls for flux core could leave a lot of metal dust in the drive area so blow it out occasionally. I imagine stainless could wear drive rolls faster.
        fence and gate shop worker
        At home...
        Lincoln Power MIG 180....
        Winco 6000 watt generator (13 hp Honda) "Big Jake"

Comment

Working...
        X