Stainless workup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stainless workup

I am working up to a project with I believe 304 its on a bus with 1/16 with some 1/8 and stitched to some 3/32 carbon sheet. I picked up some 309lsi in a 2lb and a bottle of stargon ss running .035, this im practicing on some trashed stainless that's exactly as parts being replaced.
    Welder is the Beta Mig 200 and seems to be working as has been since 87 normal I think, its like me old but HD.
    Anyhow weld bead either in a vertical or horizontal is easily to sink and crater somewhat through and at end as I cannot seem to move fast enough with a general side to side run, door chart list power 5 with wfs at 2.5 as a start showing tri mix helium as the shield.
    Very easy to weld and not any spatter to speak of and obviously flattens out easy, I been adusting power down to 2 then trying at 3 or 4 with wire fs at 2.5 or28"@6sec to 3.5 trying for a 3/8 stickout though tough at lower power level. Weld bead seems to hot and ends up blue as carbon steel with no porosity to speak, possibly can buff a lite layer off. Adjusting gas doesn't seem to make a change in color or heat raising from 15 to 35.
    will try to post this practice
    Will appreciate some of your thoughts on what I can do better

[/ATTACH]36732[/ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo1042.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	668054Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo1043.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	668055
    Attached Files