What amp breaker do I need to install for a Hobart 210 MVP? on the 230 side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What amp breaker do I need to install for a Hobart 210 MVP? on the 230 side

I have a 20amp in the garage as well. I need to know as I also want to buy a 25' extension cord. Some shops stated 30amp, 2 others stated 50 amp, one stated 40.

Thank you

210 breaker

50 amp 2 pole

Comment

I use a 40 amp breaker for my 230 volt plug in .I got a 242 volt reading for it .what wire will you be using to power the circuit ?

Comment

I installed the 50A with 6/3

I felt that the overage may be needed t times and prefer to have it higher and not need it. Thanks.

Comment

Buy a 25' 8-3. They are all over Amazon, eBay and online welding dealers. Breaker depends on wiring size. I run all my 220 machines on a 50 amp breaker and 6-3 Romex.

Comment

There are three or four pages in your manual that supply all the information you need on this subject.

Comment

Believe manual states 210MVP only draws 24 amps on 230v so any 30,40 or 50 amp (dual) breaker should be sufficient....

Manual also states minimum 14 gauge extension cord not to exceeded 53 feet.....

Operating on 120volt will have different set of parameters and wire gauges....

Look at page 17 here......

http://www.hobartwelders.com/om/6digit/o260274c_hob.pdf

Looking seriously at 210 MVP for acquisition... So any comments will be considered also....

Dale
              Last edited by Dale M.; 05-30-2014, 08:57 AM.
              Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

Dale, good deal on the 210 on June 6th at Tractor Supply In NJ.

799.00+tax

Comment

210 will draw 30 amps

The 24 amp figure stated in another post is at the 150amp/30% output rating which is probably at tap 5 or between tap 5 and tap 6 of 7 taps. I do not fully understand the symbols on the voltage sticker on back but do think it says 30 or 31 amps input max. Why not just wire in a plug or 2 plugs with 6g or 8g wire and a 50 amp breaker? The on/off switch on the Hobart is also a breaker. The breaker in your power box is not to protect the machine necessarily. It is to protect the wiring in the walls.
                  fence and gate shop worker
                  At home...
                  Lincoln Power MIG 180....
                  Winco 6000 watt generator (13 hp Honda) "Big Jake"

Comment

There is some thermal protection after the switch. If you use the minimum wire ,,, which no one thinks is a good idea you need to limit the breaker to 30, if you use 12 or better can breaker up to 50.

I do have a question though.
                    Follow electrical service guide for
                    230 VAC in Section 5-8. Do not use
                    plug rating to size branch circuit
                    protection.
                    Be back,,
                    Last edited by Sberry; 06-03-2014, 06:42 AM.
                    http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

I really don't feel like thinking it thru but somewhere on some machines allowed 14 for current conductors but called for a 12 ground, this not going to happen with a cord but some Hmm moments rather than answers in particular. 150A at 30%, even though it may draw more the duty is less, the 14 still meets the demands of the unit. Now since 14 will run it the thing comes with a 12, for a couple reasons. Not sure what the cost difference would be but they can use one cord across the Hobart line I believe. What does the IM230 use? Stickmate uses it.

But they kept it specifically so this 210 class could be used on 50A welder circuits. So from an operators point of view the plug and there is a difference in end and cord rating here allows it to be used as a guide to the ocpd,,, not to be used to size the wire.
                      Follow electrical service guide for
                      230 VAC in Section 5-8. Do not use
                      plug rating to size branch circuit
                      protection.

Comment

My steamer or really pressure washer is built similar to a Stickmate except for a thermal on the burner fan motor where it has no thermal beyond the circuits it designed to be plugged in to. All the internal wire sizing is adequate for short circuit protection up to the listed plug came on it.
                        Power strips for 120v are designed similar, have a cord with multiple outlets you must add a breaker if the wire is smaller than a 12

Comment

PHP Code:
                          The breaker in your power box is not to protect the machine necessarilyIt is to protect the wiring in the walls
                          Yes with some clarification if its possible from me.
                          The breaker in this case has only 2 functions where on other general circuits it may have 3. Here it is basically an on/off switch and it doesn't "protect" the wire per sa for thermal, overload like a 20 A general where multiple devices may cause thermal but its for short circuit protection up to the switch on a 210 class machine.
                          Thermal is regulated with the applied load. Same way an Edison base limits a fixture, you can plug a lamp with 16 cord to 20A circuit with no additional fuse.

In the end, would it make it simpler to get rid of the 14 min wire size?
                          Last edited by Sberry; 06-03-2014, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Old post but i run my HH 210 MVP on a 12-2 cord and 30 amp breaker. Never have had a problem and i weld maxed out a few times a month.
                            Fireman Bill

HH 210 MVP
                            MM 211
                            Spoolmate 100
                            Lotas LTP5000D Plasma
                            Oxy/Accet (Victor)
                            Wards AC/DC buzz box
                            30 ton old hyd press
                            A few brand name tools
                            A bunch of cheap tools
                            A wife to worry me and
                            4 dogs to supervise me

Comment

Originally posted by Fireman View Post
                              Old post but i run my HH 210 MVP on a 12-2 cord and 30 amp breaker. Never have had a problem and i weld maxed out a few times a month.
                              I could be wrong but the way I understand it a 30 amp breaker will not protect a number 12 wire. I would think you would want a 20 amp breaker.
                              I will have no problem being corrected if I am wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X