brand new hobart handler 140

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brand new hobart handler 140

i just bought this welder and the wire feed motor isn't working. any suggestions?
    i tried shorting the gun terminals and that didn't work, so it's internal.thanks for any help

Originally posted by jnjw View Post
    i just bought this welder and the wire feed motor isn't working. any suggestions?
    i tried shorting the gun terminals and that didn't work, so it's internal.thanks for any help
    Contact Hobart and they will guide you through test procedures, and, if you do a search on here you will find much discussion.

Comment

Does fan start up when you power up unit?

Have you checked circuit breaker on back of unit?

Dale
      Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

i took the cover off and looked around and found a connector unplugged.
        it works now.
        thanks for the replies

Comment

jnjw, sorry to hear about the problem with your Handler 140. I am actually the person here in Troy that performs the finished product audits on the Handler 140 production line. Would you be able to tell me, if you can recall, which connector was unplugged so that I may keep a closer eye on this when performing my audits? Additionally, it would be great feedback for the production line so we can do a better job in eliminating these types of issues.

Again, we apologize for the issue and hope you enjoy your new machine.

Thank you for your time,
          Brian
          Brian

Comment

sure,it was at the 16 pin connector that goes to the small motherboard at the top of the welder.
            i also found a potential possible problem.
            the right vertical winding tap that goes to the right side diode?, that sits on a aluminum heat sink plate?, was touching another winding tap that i thought could vibrate and possibly wear the coating off eventually and cause a short, so i pulled them apart.

Comment

Thank you for your feedback!
              Brian

Comment

dose hobart offer 2 different 140 amp welders ?

Comment

2 models that i know of.
                  the old model has a plastic type wire feed,basic ground clamp and 4 heat settings.
                  the new model upgraded to a beefier ground clamp,metal wire feed system and 5 heat settings.

Comment

Hi, i purchased the older model 500500 Hobart 140 Amp brand new from a person who bought it but never used it, should i be worried about the plastic wire feed mech.? past history issues.

Comment

it's a hobart.
                      i wouldn't worry about it at all.
                      you got a good welder,enjoy!
                      hobart makes high end welders that have highest ratings.
                      the older model is an excellent welder,they just keep improving on an allready great machine

Comment

Originally posted by cesarp35 View Post
                        Hi, i purchased the older model 500500 Hobart 140 Amp brand new from a person who bought it but never used it, should i be worried about the plastic wire feed mech.? past history issues.
                        Hobart used that plastic housing on the wire drive for well over 10 years. I've been a member of multiple versions of Hobart's on line welding forum for 14 -15 years, and to date I've never seen a post from a member complaining that the plastic housing had broke. You'd pretty much have to drag the welder around by the gun lead to be able to break it. I bet though that Hobart did testing of the housing by dragging the unit around with the gun lead.

The one thing you need to pay attention to on the wire drive housing is the thumb screw on the aluminum power block. Occasionally check to make sure it is tight . If the thumb screw loosens up the power pin of the gun will arc in the bore of the block and damage the bore. If this occurs you'll have to replace the block, and maybe even the power pin end of the gun.
                        MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
                        Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

Originally posted by cesarp35 View Post
                          Simply ..... NO!

Only suggestion, I'd get later model/version of ground clamp.... The jumper cable clamp type ground clamp will probably fail some time in future....

Dale
                          Last edited by Dale M.; 05-16-2014, 09:59 AM.
                          Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

Excellent!!, i feel better now, Thanks guys for the info.

Comment

Working...
                            X