Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

homemade device for mig welding small tanks.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• homemade device for mig welding small tanks.

I need some advice on building a device to rotate tubing slow enough to mig weld on endcaps. I am working with 3.5" carbon steel tubing .083 wall 14 guage. I bought a setup off ebay that I planned on putting a lathe chuck on but it doesnt work very well. Its a 110v gearmotor with foot control. Problem is is doesnt rotate slow enough rpm. And when turned down as slow as it will go it kind of jumps.
    Has anyone built a devise like this that works well? I need to start over with a better plan. Any and all advice is appreciated.

Rotate it by hand.

Comment

Run the gear motor you have with a small pulley/gear to a large pulley/gear mounted on pillow blocks for your chuck. You'll be able to increase the speed of the gear motor enough to rid yourself of the jumping. With the proper gear selection you can also run the rotational speed to where you need to be.
      Miller 251, Lincoln PrecisionTig 275, Miller DialArc 250 AC/DC, Hypertherm 900, Bridgeport J-head, Jet 14" lathe, South Bend 9" lathe, Hossfeld bender with a collection of dies driving me to the poorhouse, Logan shaper, Ellis 3000 bandsaw, Royersford drill press and a Victor Journeyman O/A.

Comment

What is the maximum RPM of the gear motor you have now?
        --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
        -------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by usmcpop View Post
          What is the maximum RPM of the gear motor you have now?
          Thanks for the replies. Sorry for the delay, I have been sick.

Mikecwick: I thought about that. But I have so many of these parts to do and this is likely going to be an ongoing thing, I was hoping for a more streamline process where I can get some consistancy.

Wyoming: I am working on another shaft. I didnt realize how slow I would be turning when I bought this setup. I found another thread that talks about how to calculate rpm based on circumference, weld rate. I dont know my actual weld rate right now but figure my rpm will be less than 1 rpm.

Usmcpop: max rpm is 250.

Thanks

Comment

How about hooking a variable speed motor to a sewing machine foot control?

Comment

Originally posted by cunur View Post
              ... my rpm will be less than 1 rpm.

Usmcpop: max rpm is 250. ...
              If you look at the specs of small commercial units, 2 RPM max is fairly common. Obviously it depends on the diameter of the piece being welded.
              --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
              -------------------------

Comment

Working...
              X