hobart handler 175 bad welds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hobart handler 175 bad welds

Using my hh175 with .023 solid wire and 75/25 mix gas welding .065 wall mild steel tubing. My problem is porosity in welds on long welds there will be sections that look fine then and inch or two of ugly "bug holes" then it welds fine for a couple of inches. Even just a quick tack weld bubles up. When this first started I found I was losing gas pressure after initial blast and pressure was getting weaker the longer I held trigger. I discovered oring were leaking where the gun pushes into machine. It seemed to weld better after that for a week or two. Now its even worse. Every time I weld, bubble and porosity. I am getting good gas flow. I switched bottles to eliminate bad gas. I have tried my miller 140 and miller 185 on the same metal using same gas and no problems. I am at a loss. And believe it has to be something with this machine. Any ideas I sure would appreciate the help.
    Thanks

Sounds like you again have a leak in your shielding gas. Check from tank to gun and you should find your problem. Doesn't sound as if it is a welder related problem...more like your gas supply scavenging outside air into the circuit somewhere.
    Miller 251, Lincoln PrecisionTig 275, Miller DialArc 250 AC/DC, Hypertherm 900, Bridgeport J-head, Jet 14" lathe, South Bend 9" lathe, Hossfeld bender with a collection of dies driving me to the poorhouse, Logan shaper, Ellis 3000 bandsaw, Royersford drill press and a Victor Journeyman O/A.

Comment

I agree it sounds just like you are losing shielding gas coverage. I would take a narrow paint brush with soapy water and check all the areas from the welder connection out to the stinger/contact tip. Good luck........
      Fireman Bill

HH 210 MVP
      MM 211
      Spoolmate 100
      Lotas LTP5000D Plasma
      Oxy/Accet (Victor)
      Wards AC/DC buzz box
      30 ton old hyd press
      A few brand name tools
      A bunch of cheap tools
      A wife to worry me and
      4 dogs to supervise me

Comment

Cunur I see this is your first post so welcome to the forum.
        Lincoln A/C 225
        Everlast PA 200

Comment

Originally posted by Wyoming View Post
          Sounds like you again have a leak in your shielding gas. Check from tank to gun and you should find your problem. Doesn't sound as if it is a welder related problem...more like your gas supply scavenging outside air into the circuit somewhere.
          Thanks for replies wyoming and fireman.
          I agree it sounds like a gas problem. I took the wire tension loose and pull the trigger and dont seem to be losing pressure like before. Feels like steady pressure. I do get some bubbles around the gas valve solinoid but not much. Hard to tell with the fan right there tho. With possitive pressure on the line, how would outside air get in the system. Thanks again.
          Cunur

Comment

Originally posted by M J Mauer View Post
            Cunur I see this is your first post so welcome to the forum.
            Thanks. I have been around a while. Mostly read and try and learn a little.
            Cunur

Comment

Check the connection from your whip to the welder that you replaced the o-ring on earlier. You may not have a good connection since your original o-ring failed for some reason there. If you are having a porosity problem it should be lack of shielding gas, too high a pressure setting on your shielding gas causing turbulence and actually blowing the shielding gas away from the weld area or your shielding gas is scavenging outside air somewhere. You've isolated out the quality of your tank by using it on your other welders and weld current from your welder should not be a concern as far as porosity goes. You didn't say if you used the same wire in the other welders or not to isolate that out of the equation or if you have just switched from flux core to solid wire and not changed polarity.
              Miller 251, Lincoln PrecisionTig 275, Miller DialArc 250 AC/DC, Hypertherm 900, Bridgeport J-head, Jet 14" lathe, South Bend 9" lathe, Hossfeld bender with a collection of dies driving me to the poorhouse, Logan shaper, Ellis 3000 bandsaw, Royersford drill press and a Victor Journeyman O/A.

Comment

Originally posted by cunur View Post
                Thanks for replies wyoming and fireman.
                I agree it sounds like a gas problem. I took the wire tension loose and pull the trigger and dont seem to be losing pressure like before. Feels like steady pressure. I do get some bubbles around the gas valve solinoid but not much. Hard to tell with the fan right there tho. With possitive pressure on the line, how would outside air get in the system. Thanks again.
                Cunur
                Siphon effect

Comment

Originally posted by cranky View Post
                  Siphon effect
                  Yep.

Comment

Working...
                  X