Steady Crackle vs Pop Pop Pop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steady Crackle vs Pop Pop Pop

Self taught, I have been using a Handler 140 for several years now with very good outcomes. (I love the world this opened) Recently, I struggled with a peculiar problem. The familiar rapid crackle of a smooth MIG bead changed becoming a very erratic “pop pop pop” on the next joint. Seemed worse when I was welding a trailer hinge above me. No change in settings between beads. I chased gas flow, wire speed, gun angle… Any Clues?

Let me preface this by saying that I'm new to welding myself, so I may be completely off base, but did you have a good connection with your work clamp?

Comment

IF you are having problems with work clamp.... Upgrade it to same as on NEW H140 and H190.. 200amp... Part number Hobart (Miller) #257796 It's a real work clamp and not the junkie jumper cable clamp...

And I always try to hit a spot on work surface with grinder for shinny new connection surface...

Dale
      Last edited by Dale M.; 11-21-2013, 10:53 AM.
      Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

The things that can cause popping I'm sure are many but to much stick out, bad ground, dirty/rusted metal, wire speed to slow or high, to little drive roll pressure. I am sure there are more reasons but these are the ones i can think of. Check your ground clamp connection and clean the contact surface of the clamp, it can't hurt to shine it up a little. I also sand a clean area to ground too. Clean your weld area the best you can. Good luck....
        Fireman Bill

HH 210 MVP
        MM 211
        Spoolmate 100
        Lotas LTP5000D Plasma
        Oxy/Accet (Victor)
        Wards AC/DC buzz box
        30 ton old hyd press
        A few brand name tools
        A bunch of cheap tools
        A wife to worry me and
        4 dogs to supervise me

Comment

As fireman said it is most likely operator error. Trouble shooting is everything.

I find that I can listen to a welding machine operator, hear the weld is crap and continue hearing it all day long.

Then you can listen to how a weld is supposed to sound by a actual welder.

Comment

Kenm817 I see this is your first post so welcome to the forum.
            Lincoln A/C 225
            Everlast PA 200

Comment

"Trailer hinge above me", implying overhead. If this is the case, were the other welds overhead that were popping as you thought correctly?
              Miller dynasty 350
              Miller syncrowave 250
              Miller deltaweld 450
              Miller cp-300
              And one fancy microwelding setup

Comment

Working...
              X