No announcement yet.

handler 187 gas stays on way too long some times

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just replaced both of the relay's on the board and the 135 is working great. Not sure what the contactor is but I am talking relays C1-C3 I first replaced C3 and that solved the problem of the gas valve being open with the welder plugged in but not on, when I squeezed the trigger I would get gas but no feed fiddled around a bit more to make sure all connections are tight and then replaced the C1 relay which gave me feed. I did learn a couple things, I ask stupid questions and every wire has an arrow with a number next to it that number goes to the circuit boards corresponding number once I found that out I sure did not need the confusing diagram I drew.
    Have a great Spring
    Bye Bye
    Last edited by wisconsinjimmy; 05-09-2014, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 7808 View Post
      when you say remove the relay, do you mean the contactor or one of the relays on the board?
      The contactor (CR3). Hobart has been using his relay for at least 10 years. To date I 've never had an issue with one, so I don't know how difficult it would be to disassemble one, without damaging it, to see if I could find anything internal that may be hanging up. First off though, I just remove it from the machine and give it a good visual inspection.
      MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
      Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

Replaced both relays/contacts and all is fine, as far as taking apart a relay with out destroying it is tough they are glued together I tried but wound up breaking the cover and I could not see why it was malfunctioning.

Comment

Originally posted by wisconsinjimmy View Post
          I just replaced both of the relay's on the board and the 135 is working great. Not sure what the contactor is but I am talking relays C1-C3 I first replaced C3 and that solved the problem of the gas valve being open with the welder plugged in but not on, when I squeezed the trigger I would get gas but no feed fiddled around a bit more to make sure all connections are tight and then replaced the C1 relay which gave me feed. I did learn a couple things, I ask stupid questions and every wire has an arrow with a number next to it that number goes to the circuit boards corresponding number once I found that out I sure did not need the confusing diagram I drew.
          Have a great Spring
          Bye Bye
          Based on the info on the wiring schematic CR1 should have cured your gas issue and CR3 should have fixed the wire feed issue. Actually, I think you need both CR1 and CR3 operating correctly for the unit to feed wire.
          MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
          Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

Comment

Replaced both relays/contacts and all is fine, as far as taking apart a relay with out destroying it is tough they are glued together I tried but wound up breaking the cover and I could not see why it was malfunctioning.
            The relay issue you were having with your unit became apparent to Hobart years ago, so when they upgraded the Handler 135 and 175 to the 140 and 180 they removed weld output relay (supplies power to the gas solenoid coil too) from the control board, and replaced it with a more robust contactor style relay that mounts next to control board on the center panel.

PM 180C

Comment

Thanks Dan.

Comment

Thanks Dan.
                Jim,

Truthfully, in multiple ways the Handler 140 that you had ordered is a superior unit to the Handler 135.

All the control board component failure issues that the 135 had/has have been addressed. The wire drive circuitry was improved to give the unit better low end performance. An additional output tap was added. The gun lead construction is significantly improved, making it more robust, especially at the machine end. The voltage selector switch has more positive dents.

Does your 135 have the quick change drive roll wire drive assembly?

PM 180C

Comment

Not sure what the quick change unit is but my welder I have to push in two buttons to release the roll holder, the wire feed is a wheel with two grooves push in and turn and it comes off also there is a lever that puts pressure on the wire and it has a lever with tension adjustments push it over and lift up on the tension gizmo do I make sense?

Comment

Working...
                  X