handler 187 gas stays on way too long some times

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• handler 187 gas stays on way too long some times

i have a handler 187 mig and the gas sometimes stays on rediculously long after releasing the trigger, sometimes i can even shut off the welder and it stays on for minutes until i flip the actual breaker powering it. its inconsistant, somtimes it shuts off a few seconds after like it should, sometimes a 20 seconds etc..

a couple yrs ago when it was probably 2yrs old they sent me a new gas valve solenoid and that didnt fix it, must be the control board or somthing? im guessing thats expensive?

problem is i did not use it much and i never got around to installing the replacement valve until maybe last year, then i was too busy and never got around to calling hobart again to tell them that didnt fix the issue, now im worried my welder is out of warranty.

anyone have any info on this issue i would appreciate it

Contact Hobart. They are good to work with.

Comment

Your contactor (CR3) may be sticking briefly in the closed position. When the welder has one of these episodes, I'd check to see if there is a DC voltage present at the output power studs in the wire drive compartment. The voltage value will vary depending on the voltage tap the unit is set to. Tap #1 would be around 18 volts and tap #7 would be around 31 volts.

When the welder is functioning properly there shouldn't be voltage present at these studs when the gun trigger is in the open position.
      MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
      Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

took me a while to come back and check this thread. im trying to remember what happened when me and my friend tried to diagnose the welder a few months back, if I remember right, the main large contactor was staying open, but the coil was getting voltage telling it to. I think Hobart tech told me, if I remember, that usually points to a problem on the board, or the gun, but we disconnected the gun and were triggering the welder directly bypassing the gun switch. I hate to replace the board, its pretty expensive, and this welder has not had a hard life, id rather replace a component on the board, its not a very complicated board.

Comment

If getting voltage to the coil of CR3 then the relay on the board may be sticking, BUT that will usually cause the wire to feed continuously as well. My suggestion is that CR3(main contactor) is mainly sticking and this will cause gas to flow and wire to arc without trigger depressed but wire feed stops.
          Note: if checking voltage to coil of CR3 be sure measure across the coil and not to chassis ground. That will give a faulty reading.

Keith

Comment

Could also be stick valve... Might need disassemble and cleaning then again maybe not....

Dale
            Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

Might try this product, it's worked for me in the past.

http://www.drugstore.com/products/pr...6&aparam=10547
              Walker
              Chief slag chipper & floor sweeper
              Ironwood Artistic

Comment

I don't think gas x works on me or my welder

also when I called Hobart my welder was out of warranty now, they gave me the number of my local authorized repair place and they did some phone troubleshooting , but after that they wanted me to bring it in, with there hourly repair fee and the possibility of them just telling me after that it needs a new board, it could end up being half the value of the welder.

Comment

I noticed last night, if I pulled the gun trigger, let off, if the gas stuck on and I tapped the main contactor it would shut every time.

anyone know where I can get one of these for less then 80-90 bucks? I used to buy similar sized contactors all the time for hvac at my old job for way less from grainger... maybe they have one with matching specs?

Comment

After releasing the gun trigger, if you still have voltage present across wires 6 & 7 at the gas solenoid coil, and then it disappears once you tap on the contactor (CR 3), I'd definitely suspect the contactor is sticking.

The contactor relay on this unit is fairly open , before replacing it, I'd remove the relay from the unit and inspect it over to see if I could figure out what causing/creating the issue. It could be something simple to correct.

Miller4less is selling the contactor for around $73 with free shipping. It's under $80.
                    MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
                    Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

I have been reading this thread and it almost sounds like my welder Handler 125, I am not sure what C3 is or where it is but as soon as I plug the machine in there is buzzing sound which comes from the gas control valve and the gas flows into the nozzle, removing the power will close the gas valve and the gas is contained by the gas valve I un-plugged the wires on the nozzle switch and with the machine off but plugged into the wall the problem still exists, I then removed (disconnected) the wires where they plug into the machine and I still have the same problem when plugged in and power off the gas valve opens.
                      I hope this makes it easier to read.
                      Jim
                      Last edited by wisconsinjimmy; 05-03-2014, 10:56 AM. Reason: Restate my message

Comment

Originally posted by wisconsinjimmy View Post
                        I have been reading this thread and it almost sounds like my welder Handler 125, I am not sure what C3 is or where it is but as soon as I plug the machine in there is buzzing and the gas flows out of the nozzle, unplugging will close the gas valve. I have un-plugged the wires inside the spool compartment that trigger the gas solenoid and wire feed motor and the gas still leaks with the power plugged into the wall and the power switch off, I get no feed at this stage only when the power is on will the wire feed. Also my nozzle is hot now when welding.
                        You need to check your original post on this subject.... You probably gave defective power switch or something is shorted out in wiring or main board....

Dale
                        Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

I re wrote the post hopefully it will be more understandable.

Comment

Well I need a circuit board for the welder which is a Handler 135. When I plugged the machine in I got one **** of an arc at the plug. So I have ordered a new Hobart 140. Thanks for the help.
                            Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                              After releasing the gun trigger, if you still have voltage present across wires 6 & 7 at the gas solenoid coil, and then it disappears once you tap on the contactor (CR 3), I'd definitely suspect the contactor is sticking.

The contactor relay on this unit is fairly open , before replacing it, I'd remove the relay from the unit and inspect it over to see if I could figure out what causing/creating the issue. It could be something simple to correct.

Miller4less is selling the contactor for around $73 with free shipping. It's under $80.
                              when you say remove the relay, do you mean the contactor or one of the relays on the board?

Comment

Working...
                              X