Which Hobart? Handler 140 or 190?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Hobart? Handler 140 or 190?

I'm a homeowner / hobby person, who would like to do some steel welding. Fix the snowblower's auger, and maybe make some shelving out of steel. Make a MIG cart. That kind of thing.

The Hobart Handler 140 has some good reviews out there, but I'm concerned that it's not big enough for other than light duty jobs. Tractor Supply has the 190, but it is over $200 more. It's also 220 V, which means I can't use it in many places unless I have a 220 outlet nearby.

Is it worth spending another $200 for the 190? TS had the 190 on display, but no 140. The 190 looked like it was built like a truck.

Thanks

You can turn the 190 down for lighter metal, but you can't turn the 140 up.
    Blacksmith
    Stickmate LX AC/DC
    Big cheap (Chinese) Anvil
    Hand cranked coal forge
    Freon bottle propane forge
    HH 210 and bottle of C25

Comment

I've never heard of anyone complaining of having to much welder. I've personally complained of not having enough welder.
      sigpic
      Eastwood MIG135, never fails to make me wonder.
      Lincoln idealarc 300/250: runs like it was made today. Looks like its seen some better days. Origin is Ashland lumber mill. Ready to go. Needs some new leads and a little specialty TLC.
      Harris oxyacetylene set, 20cf oxy and 10cf ace
      youtube channel :
      http://m.youtube.com/#/user/Hobbywelder617

Comment

go with the 190

The 140 will severely limit what you can "successfully" weld. People talk of welding 1/4" steel but there is little fusion as the machine simply doesn't have enough output to get good penetration on 1/4". Beveling will help a little, preheating with a torch will help a little. With .035" fluxcore you should be able to weld up to 3/16". Using gas you will not get good fusion on 1/8" flatbar. I have owned two 20 amp input 120 volt machines over the past 20 years and know their limits. The 190 will weld 1/4" with .035" fluxcore and the volts turned up all the way. A lot of it depends on the skill of the operator.
        Last edited by gatemaker; 11-27-2012, 07:30 PM.
        fence and gate shop worker
        At home...
        Lincoln Power MIG 180....
        Winco 6000 watt generator (13 hp Honda) "Big Jake"

Comment

The 190 has a better duty cycle in addition to having more power. It also has a 7-position voltage switch vs. the 5-position on the 140.
          --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
          -------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by gatemaker View Post
            The 140 will severely limit what you can "successfully" weld. People talk of welding 1/4" steel but there is little fusion as the machine simply doesn't have enough output to get good penetration on 1/4". Beveling will help a little, preheating with a torch will help a little. With .035" fluxcore you should be able to weld up to 3/16". Using gas you will not get good fusion on 1/8" flatbar. I have owned two 20 amp input 120 volt machines over the past 20 years and know their limits. The 190 will weld 1/4" with .035" fluxcore and the volts turned up all the way. A lot of it depends on the skill of the operator.

It does depend on the operator. It also depends on how well you set your machine. With my Eastwood, a 120v welder, it can and will do 1/4", I've done it but its a slow pain in the tail. Hard on the machine. If I had to do it again, I'd bevel and lay in multiple passes. Like you would with stick.

190 all the way. If you can wait a little while, save your pennies and get the handler 210 MVP. Same number of taps, but Hobart have a chart showing the benefits of each welder vs. another.
            Last edited by Hobby welder; 11-28-2012, 10:51 AM.
            sigpic
            Eastwood MIG135, never fails to make me wonder.
            Lincoln idealarc 300/250: runs like it was made today. Looks like its seen some better days. Origin is Ashland lumber mill. Ready to go. Needs some new leads and a little specialty TLC.
            Harris oxyacetylene set, 20cf oxy and 10cf ace
            youtube channel :
            http://m.youtube.com/#/user/Hobbywelder617

Comment

You can't have too much welder, but you can have too many. Our original welder was a Lincoln 175 MIG. I got it in preference to the 140 because I thought it might be used to glue together a little 1/8" Aluminum some day. That never happened, but I'm glad I went with the bigger machine. Then a couple 250 Amp Miller machines appeared and a few other bits were acquired to fill up the little remaining floor space.
              --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
              -------------------------

Comment

Pop,

I can make some room if you need to clear some floor space. I'll even come pick it up. Right up Route 460.
                Blacksmith
                Stickmate LX AC/DC
                Big cheap (Chinese) Anvil
                Hand cranked coal forge
                Freon bottle propane forge
                HH 210 and bottle of C25

Comment

Am actually giving thought to saving a bit more and doing an Ironman 230. Haven't made up my mind yet.

Comment

Originally posted by emmett518 View Post
                    Am actually giving thought to saving a bit more and doing an Ironman 230. Haven't made up my mind yet.
                    If the use on 120v is still a concern then only the HH210MVP will do but iffin' you don't think you'll need to be "Portable" and you have the room for the bigger foot print of the IM230 then go with the IM230

but definitely NO on the HH140 (not that it is a bad machine, it is just a 120v machine)
                    Ed Conley
                    Screaming Broccoli, Inc
                    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                    MM252
                    MM211
                    Miller Passport Plus, Spoolmate 100
                    TA185
                    SO 2020 Bender
                    Miller 125c Plasma
                    "Hold my beer while I try this!"

Comment

I don't need the length in my 22' X 22' garage, but the fact that you can use a 15' length gun lead (gun supplied has this lead length) with the Ironman 230 wire drive could be a big plus.

Compared to the Handler 190, the Ironman 230 is a major step upward in the area of top end output power. Actually even compared to the Handler 210 MVP (230 volt input) the Ironman 230 offers a pretty healthy increase in available top end power.

In the area of duty cycle, the Ironman 230 offers a significant increase over what you get with a Handler 190 or 210 MVP.

Arc quality and weld puddle characteristics are somewhat similar on the Handler 190, Handler 210 MVP, and Ironman 230. In my opinion the 190 arc tends to run a touch cleaner then the 210 MVP. The 210 is still real good though. The Ironman 230 arc is a little softer then the arc of the 190 or 210 MVP. The additional inductance that gives the 230 a slightly softer arc then the 190 or 210 MVP, results in the 230 weld puddle being a little wetter too.
                      MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
                      Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

I ended up buying a refurbed 190 for $499. I called Hobart, and they told me that the factory did the refurbs, and that most of them were demo welders at trade shows. The one that arrived looked brand new.

Looking forward to trying it out. Decided to pass on the Ironman because I don't expect to do a ton of welding.

Thanks all.

Comment

I ended up buying a refurbed 190 for $499. I called Hobart, and they told me that the factory did the refurbs, and that most of them were demo welders at trade shows. The one that arrived looked brand new.

Looking forward to trying it out. Decided to pass on the Ironman because I don't expect to do a ton of welding.

Thanks all.
                          That's a good deal!!
                          Ed Conley
                          Screaming Broccoli, Inc
                          http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                          MM252
                          MM211
                          Miller Passport Plus, Spoolmate 100
                          TA185
                          SO 2020 Bender
                          Miller 125c Plasma
                          "Hold my beer while I try this!"

Comment

Thanks all.
                            Good bargain, and you can learn to do multi-pass welds on thicker material, as well as selling this one when you grow out of it!

Comment

I have a miller 140 and do the same kinds of things you seem to want to do and it works fine.

That said, if you can swing it (money, power, brownie points with swmbo, etc), get the bigger machine. You never know when the extra power will be helpful.

Comment

Working...
                              X