Hotfoot any news???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hotfoot any news???

I went ahead, and stopped by my welding store today,(300 miles round trip) and tried out a 181i. They had one on display for a while. I asked if I could set it up, and weld with it. You have to be careful putting the gun in, or the contactor wire can hold the back-end from seating all the way in. (pour lighting caused that issue) Tried running some 8" Radnor .030 solid wire, and it won't work with that spool style. No hole in the spool, so the wire reel won't seat. No L-56 Lincoln, and also certain Esab wire is out. Probably will have to modify the plastic hub to get those to work. Stuck in some P-3 wire, and that spool worked in it. (HB-28 spools will work fine.) That might be really good wire in that machine. 7-8 on the inductance seems about right with the P-3. Bought that roll for $15.00, and they threw in the Radnor .030 for free. (works great on my Esab) Pretty good machine, but down on power compared to the Esab 200. I really did not have a decent helmet or very good steel to work with. Small little piece, and the rest was pretty sad shape. Loot's like there is quite a bit of range in the inductance, so going down on the # adds inductance, and can hurt arc starts. Overall should be a good little machine for you.

I can't seem to get an hour free to sit down with it and do some tests. I did a couple of very small welds, one on some 1/8" steel, and another on some 1/16", used the Door chart for both, and I did just fine..both welds (but these were very small jobs) seemed a bit 'hot' to me, but maybe I've always run a bit too cool...I have to mosey up to Austin tomorrow (to HF tools), then stop by the gallery on my return, so my Thursday is shot...I painted my garage today, so that killed today, etc. Put the new LED lights on my trailer (my old sockets were toast), etc. trying to get 'stuff' done so I can do some coupons, which I hope to do over the Memorial Day weekend while all the Lake and River Visitors (there are literally thousands) swarm all over the local roads...although I do enjoy seeing all the girls in bikinis walking around over at the river and in the gas stations and stores.

I have my eye on the Tweco Spool Gun SG 160TA-12 (12 foot lead) that is the mate for this machine, but the guy in Georgia that has this gun is checking into connections, etc. to see if it will work...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221029348546...84.m1423.l2649
    "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Originally posted by Scott V View Post

I went ahead, and stopped by my welding store today,(300 miles round trip) and tried out a 181i. They had one on display for a while. I asked if I could set it up, and weld with it. You have to be careful putting the gun in, or the contactor wire can hold the back-end from seating all the way in. (pour lighting caused that issue) Tried running some 8" Radnor .030 solid wire, and it won't work with that spool style. No hole in the spool, so the wire reel won't seat. No L-56 Lincoln, and also certain Esab wire is out. Probably will have to modify the plastic hub to get those to work. Stuck in some P-3 wire, and that spool worked in it. (HB-28 spools will work fine.) That might be really good wire in that machine. 7-8 on the inductance seems about right with the P-3. Bought that roll for $15.00, and they threw in the Radnor .030 for free. (works great on my Esab) Pretty good machine, but down on power compared to the Esab 200. I really did not have a decent helmet or very good steel to work with. Small little piece, and the rest was pretty sad shape. Loot's like there is quite a bit of range in the inductance, so going down on the # adds inductance, and can hurt arc starts. Overall should be a good little machine for you.
      Well, I posted a reply last night that the "moderators" held for review...let's see if they release it, if not, I'll regurgitate what I can recall later today.
      "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Originally posted by Hotfoot View Post
        Well, I posted a reply last night that the "moderators" held for review...let's see if they release it, if not, I'll regurgitate what I can recall later today.

That seems like a software issue, not the moderators.. Key word or something??? Happened to me one time, a few months ago. If it was a real deal, you would never be able to read any of my posts...

I really never tried the upper range of the short-arc, just tried to see if it had enough volts to spray-arc .030 Zero chance with C-10, and would do a little with some of Airgas's stainless mix. Could not figure out which mix it was though? Basically something nobody would try, or use....(except me) Just gives me a bit of baseline checking between the very top volt-amp curve on the smaller units. I will load the same .030 wire, and C-10 in my Esab, and see how it does. I know with 98% argon- 2% 02 using .035 solid wire,the Esab will spray-arc up to 420-425 ipm Lower-end of the spray mode, but a solid spray-arc.. Takes a couple of volts more with C-10 gas, and it would probably fall on it's face with .035 wire.

Comment

This forum got very bad about not posting any of my comments a few years back, and I thought that was all just some computer problems...but as I recall, I pretty much left here, and started using Welding Web, but eventually ended up back here.
          About all I had in last night's effort was reporting that I have barely had achance to do more than a few very small welds on a couple pieces of 1/8 and 1/16" steel, using the door charts. Seemed fine, maybe a bit hot...but I intend to make up some coupons and joints this Memorial Day weekend, and run it though some more detailed exercises.

The recommended spool gun for this one is the Tweco SG160 TA-12 (12 foot lead). I spotted a less expensive one on ebay, and was wondering if it might work for me, with the appropriate back end plug?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221029348546...84.m1423.l2649

the Tweco is $280.00.
          "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Well, tried it again today..."Moderator" still says no-go. The recommended Tweco Spool gun is SG 160TA-12 (12 foot lead), I was (attemting to) inquiring as to your opinion of this gun on ebay, which is $100.00 less.

(Let's try this instead of the full URL)

eBay item:Spoolgun Spool gun Economical Option Tweco style consumables (#221029348546)
            "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Originally posted by Hotfoot View Post
              Well, tried it again today..."Moderator" still says no-go. The recommended Tweco Spool gun is SG 160TA-12 (12 foot lead), I was (attemting to) inquiring as to your opinion of this gun on ebay, which is $100.00 less.

(Let's try this instead of the full URL)

eBay item:Spoolgun Spool gun Economical Option Tweco style consumables (#221029348546)
              I personalty would wait for a deal on the correct spool-gun. It will show up soon enough. I would be tempted to find a short Lincoln gun (tweco #2) put in a nylon liner, and do short/ hot little welds. Might work OK, until a deal comes up on a decent spool-gun.

PS-the .030 Radnor does not really spray all the well in the Esab. The P3-China made (National Standard) will be a solid spray-arc with .035 wire. Not really worried about the spray-arc on that machine, only because I will be running CO2 or C-25 for most everything I would use that machine for.
              Last edited by Scott V; 05-24-2012, 07:44 PM.

Comment

I personalty would wait for a deal on the correct spool-gun. It will show up soon enough. I would be tempted to find a short Lincoln gun (tweco #2) put in a nylon liner, and do short/ hot little welds. Might work OK, until a deal comes up on a decent spool-gun.

PS-the .030 Radnor does not really spray all the well in the Esab. The P3-China made (National Standard) will be a solid spray-arc with .035 wire. Not really worried about the spray-arc on that machine, only because I will be running CO2 or C-25 for most everything I would use that machine for.
                Yeah, I've already decided that the $100.00 difference is no deal breaker, so I already started sniffing around for a Tweco...Cyberweld has it for $280..and they are usually pretty hard to beat....although IOC has gotten my last
                two machine sales...except my Tractor Supply 125EZ.

I did four small tes welds this evening, two on 1/8" angle, two on 16 Gauge. In both small attempts the door chart settings resulted in welds that had a higher "hump" than I am used to. In each case I cut the wirespeed back (from 400 to 300 non the 1/8' / from 300 to 200 on the 16 g.) , and got welds that "laid down" much nicer, and sounded better (more like frying bacon...(Oh Darn, now I'll have to go make a couple BLT's!). Both setting gave equivalent penetration. My shaky old hands gave me a set of blurry images that I won't post...but this weekend should see me either get this puppy dialed in, or...its "Dan...Still wanna swap for that Hobart 210?"
                Last edited by Hotfoot; 05-24-2012, 10:21 PM.
                "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Scott, No short circuit transfer on 1/8" or 3/16" with C-25, to give what seems to be excessively high voltage values (door chart settings) a try? So if you occassional wanted to run L-56 type spools of wire, it probably wise to purchase a second hub and shorten the pin?

Hotfoot, I have the 210 MVP boxed up and sitting by the front door ready to ship to you.

Hotfoot, if the weld puddle isn't quite flattening out (wetting out) the the way you want it to, try making small adjustments to the inductance towards the soft side (smaller number) of the dial scale.
                  Last edited by Dan; 05-25-2012, 03:52 AM.
                  MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
                  Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

It was closer to 320 to 330 /18.2 volts (17.8 Maybe to start?) inductance centered, around #5 as a starting point. I moved the inductance to between#7 and #8 right away.. It was C-25, and everything was pretty good. Hard to get much of a feel for things, with a old helmet,(could not see) and crummy steel in general. I think it will be a pretty good unit, but more time will be needed to get a real feel for it. P-3 is not the best wire to test drive something to check for wet-out.. I believe HB-28 in .030 will hit the mark very well. I did turn the wire up one time, but on a plate with a million weld beads on it already. Just got a vague feel for the unit, and it's positive in general. I really do like my Esab 200 better but I had it quite a while to mess with. I like the spool design for never having to adjust tension, and it loads wire easier. I also like the click stop voltage and wire feed setup, WFS gos up by 3 # but that is fine. The Thermal was a bit touchy on bouncing around exactly where you want it. You could get use to it pretty fast though. My bigger Thermal has the one click voltage style (1/10 volt) and i like it very well too. (favorite machine in that area, and almost all other areas too.)

Yes, another hub, or just cut, and grind the stock one. Should still work with other spools even modified. That's a guess, without trying it. Even if you cut the nub all the way off, you could shim it tight with a piece of 2 inch PVC/ABS pipe. That's how I deal with certain rolls on my Thermal ultra-feed 1000 feeder. The Lincoln spools work fine with that setup. If you ever have to move these small machine, then the real advantage comes into play. I hate the machines that feel like they are loaded with bricks.. Even if they work great..
                    Last edited by Scott V; 05-25-2012, 12:41 AM.

Comment

Dan: I am seriously considering sending the child to live with you, but I'll wait until I attempt some thin sheet steel tomorrow, like I developed a touch for with my 180.

I'm like an old man (OK...I REALLY fit that part) who has always driven an auto trans, but decided to buy a new car with a manual trans...I can see where I can eventually "get it", but that auto trans sure seemed to work great for me!
                      "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

What brand of wire you using in that machine? .030 solid with C-25?

Comment

Thermal seems to be recommending using the inductance in the opposite way I think I'd be using it. On clean thinner gauge sheet metal I'd want to take some dig out of the arc, so I'd be dialing the inductance in the direction of softening the arc some.

For 1/8" I'd start out playing with the voltage in the the 17 -18 range. Depending on your inductance setting you may even need to go slightly above 18.

For 14 or 16 gauge sheet metal, and possibly even 18 ga. start out playing with the voltage in the 16 -17 range.

For 20 ga and thinner start out in the 15-16 volt range. Actually on 20 ga or thinner, I definitely drop down to an .023 wire, making it possible to probably be able to drop the voltage down into the 14's for easier 22ga or 24ga usage. Just guessing on all this though, since I've never ran the machine.
                          MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
                          Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

Comment

It was closer to 320 to 330 /18.2 volts (17.8 Maybe to start?) inductance centered, around #5 as a starting point. I moved the inductance to between#7 and #8 right away.. It was C-25, and everything was pretty good. Hard to get much of a feel for things, with a old helmet,(could not see) and crummy steel in general. I think it will be a pretty good unit, but more time will be needed to get a real feel for it. P-3 is not the best wire to test drive something to check for wet-out.. I believe HB-28 in .030 will hit the mark very well. I did turn the wire up one time, but on a plate with a million weld beads on it already. Just got a vague feel for the unit, and it's positive in general. I really do like my Esab 200 better but I had it quite a while to mess with. I like the spool design for never having to adjust tension, and it loads wire easier. I also like the click stop voltage and wire feed setup, WFS gos up by 3 # but that is fine. The Thermal was a bit touchy on bouncing around exactly where you want it. You could get use to it pretty fast though. My bigger Thermal has the one click voltage style (1/10 volt) and i like it very well too. (favorite machine in that area, and almost all other areas too.)

Yes, another hub, or just cut, and grind the stock one. Should still work with other spools even modified. That's a guess, without trying it. Even if you cut the nub all the way off, you could shim it tight with a piece of 2 inch PVC/ABS pipe. That's how I deal with certain rolls on my Thermal ultra-feed 1000 feeder. The Lincoln spools work fine with that setup. If you ever have to move these small machine, then the real advantage comes into play. I hate the machines that feel like they are loaded with bricks.. Even if they work great..
                            I was just curious to see if those door chart voltage setting were bogus. Even with what you had available for testing, I feel you proved to me that door chart setting is way off. I don't start using 21 -22 volts until I hit 1/4" steel, and even then it depends on the joint design and position of the weld.

The touchy voltage and wire speed dials are two things I remember disliking about the MM 251. During one of my visits to Airgas I noticed that Miller went to the click style dials on the 252.

PM 180C

Comment

What brand of wire you using in that machine? .030 solid with C-25?
                              I am using Techniweld, ER70S6, .030, solid, C-25. I started using it three spools ago, when I went back to my LWS after the first spool, she remarked that "All the guys really like that wire'...It seems to weld better for me than any of the others I have tried...enough of a difference that I noticed it on my first couple welds!
                              "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Working...
                              X