No announcement yet.

First Mig Flux-Cored welder Questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Mig Flux-Cored welder Questions.

Hello Im new here at this forum. I wanted to ask a few questions.
    I have been looking at welders for some time now and want to get ether a Lincoln Pro Mig 140 K2480-1 or the
    Hobart Handler 140. I dont know which one to choose?
    Someone told me that Miller makes Hobart is this true?
    With the Hobart I was told that that grounding clamp is junk and that I should replace it right away?
    Also that the drive on the Hobart is weaker than the Lincoln?

The Lincoln model I was looking at is sold at Lowe's and I noticed that its made in Mexico.
    Also that Lincoln has "retail models" I dont know if that means it not as good as the ones you get at a welding shop?
    I really like the fact that Hobart is made in the USA and has a better warranty than Lincoln.
    Hows the gas regulator on the Hobart?
    Thanks for the time and help everyone.
    ~Gage~

Miller and Hobart are both owned by Illinois Tool Works; there are some differences in the wire feed welders whereas for example the stick welders are virtually identical. Yes the work clamp is kind of flimsy. Many, including myself, have replaced it with a stronger one. I've been here for a while and am impressed by the readiness of one of the "Hobart experts" to jump in with help or answers. In fact, I expect Brian or one of the others will chime in here after the weekend. Also, Hobart seems to be one of those rare companies that still gives a customer the benefit of the doubt regarding warrenty coverage. I think their plasma cutter lineup is a little light, but one of the more knowledgable Hypertherm reps, Jim, is a regular contributer on here.
    Blacksmith
    Stickmate LX AC/DC
    Big cheap (Chinese) Anvil
    Hand cranked coal forge
    Freon bottle propane forge
    HH 210 and bottle of C25

Comment

Thanks for the reply Blacksmith, What brand and where did you get the better ground clamp at?
      Thanks for the help.
      ~Gage~

Comment

Welcome! Your heading says "Flux core"..is that is what you want, go for the Hobart 125EZ (a REALLY GOOD machine!!). Hobart is good stuff, I've had a number of them..never a disappointment, and their resale value is excellent!

The 140 is a highly regarded unit, and cannot be beat for light metal and auto body repair. Many happy owners here!
        "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

The Lincoln model I was looking at is sold at Lowe's and I noticed that its made in Mexico.
          Also that Lincoln has "retail models" I dont know if that means it not as good as the ones you get at a welding shop?
          I really like the fact that Hobart is made in the USA and has a better warranty than Lincoln.
          ~Gage~[/QUOTE]

Lincoln is making a few lower quality retail units to supply the week-end warrior types, as are other companies, and in general, I think you are probably getting better quality with the Hobart rather than the Lowe's model Lincoln. If you go to your local weldors supply store, you will find that they don't even carry the Lowes model, and most of what they sell is of higher quality. The gas regulator/ flowmeter supplied on the Hobart is ok, but a good flowmeter would be better

Comment

Originally posted by Northweldor View Post
            ~Gage~
            Lincoln is making a few lower quality retail units to supply the week-end warrior types, as are other companies, and in general, I think you are probably getting better quality with the Hobart rather than the Lowe's model Lincoln. If you go to your local weldors supply store, you will find that they don't even carry the Lowes model, and most of what they sell is of higher quality. The gas regulator/ flowmeter supplied on the Hobart is ok, but a good flowmeter would be better[/QUOTE]

Ya I noticed that they dont sell the Lowe's model Lincoln at welder supply stores, also I took a look at the parts list for the "Lowe's Model" and the one they sell at the welder supply stores, there are many different part number between those two Lincoln Welders. Also the Lincolns sold at the welder supply stores are about $200 more than the retail models sold at home centers.
            Thanks for the posting.
            ~Gage~

Comment

Originally posted by Hotfoot View Post
              Welcome! Your heading says "Flux core"..is that is what you want, go for the Hobart 125EZ (a REALLY GOOD machine!!). Hobart is good stuff, I've had a number of them..never a disappointment, and their resale value is excellent!

The 140 is a highly regarded unit, and cannot be beat for light metal and auto body repair. Many happy owners here!
              I was looking at the H140 because I can use with or without gas.
              Thanks ~Gage~

Comment

I think the HH140 will do a good job for you, either with flux core or with gas and solid wire. I have a MM210, HH187, and H140. 99% of the time I use the 140 with flux core because I need to take ti to someone else's house and they generally don't have 220 VAC available.

Comment

Most people use a "Tweco" style. I found the Hobart copper plated steel ones which are about twice as thick and twice the spring pressure for $8.99 at Northern Hardware and figured I couldn't go wrong. Couldn't tell you the model number as my welders are currently in storage but I think it's the 400 amp rated one (#770031?) if you search the products section.
                  Last edited by Blacksmith; 05-12-2012, 04:01 PM.
                  Blacksmith
                  Stickmate LX AC/DC
                  Big cheap (Chinese) Anvil
                  Hand cranked coal forge
                  Freon bottle propane forge
                  HH 210 and bottle of C25

Comment

Hey Gage

What do you plan on welding?

Where do you plan on welding in a shop or outside in the wind?

Do you require a stick welder or a wire?

MIG or TIG.

If wire FCAW or GMAW?

Why not O/A?

Do you have local Miller, Lincoln, Hobart support ?

I feel for you. I went through this for about a year.

RC

Comment

Why not O/A? Have you priced refills lately? With the Hazmat changes its much cheaper just to fill one C25 tank or just just flux core with a MIG. For all around welding consider a DC stick welder.
                      Retired...
                      Master Electrician
                      Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter
                      Semi-pro/Hobby Welder
                      Hobart Handler 140
                      MakerGear M2 3D Printer

Comment

Thanks for everyone's help, I went ahead and bought the Hobart 210 MVP Welder the other day=)
                        ~Gage~

Comment

Working...
                        X