Removing MIG wire from welder.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing MIG wire from welder.

Will, the time has come to move on. My personal situation has reached the point where I'll be moving to an apartment while the lawyers finish up and I find MY place, you know, the one with the 4 car detached garage with a house nearby. Anyway, amazingly, the apartments I've looked at don't seem to allow welding, so I'm placing the tools in storage. Before removing the gun and whip from the 210, should I hold the wire on the spool and cut it or try to pull it back and rewind it? 10 feet of wire isn't that much and I see myself standing there with a near world record birdsnest or worst, the spool jams up when I put the welder back in service.
    Blacksmith
    Stickmate LX AC/DC
    Big cheap (Chinese) Anvil
    Hand cranked coal forge
    Freon bottle propane forge
    HH 210 and bottle of C25

You know I just had to face this switching wire sizes. I just cut the wire and then held on tight. I proceeded to bend the wire into one of the holes on the side of the wire spool. I then pulled the excess wire out of the gun and folded it over about 4 times. Then I put the folded wire in my vise and twisted it tight. i ended up with a welding rod for gas welding.
    Hobart beta-mig 2510 Mig welder
    Victor OA Welding/Cutting Rig
    Century 295 amp Stick welder bought 30+ years ago

Comment

(Ditto on what coxhaus said)

Get a solid hold on it back by the driver wheel, cut it, and (keeping tension on it) poke it through a hole in the spool side, the fold it back over (just like it came on the spool. Then, just pull it out the front of the gun...it'll slip right out...you should then blow the snake out from the front with a blow gun on an air compressor. Don't coil the snake up too tightly when you store it

I put my spools in gallon sized zip-lock bags, then toss a desiccant pak (from some electronics, etc.) in it to assure the wire doesn't corrode. I store those in the bottom of a cabinet in the house (to keep moisture at bay.

I was always looking for a shop I could live in vs. a house I could weld in. That way my Street Rod, Harley and me could "buddy up"...but they make lousy card players!
      "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Clearly I should cut the wire near the spool and put it through a hole in the spool just like when it was new. Thanks for the tip to blow out the liner.

Spent less than 2 hours this morning looking at overpriced and "office closed on weekends," apartments and decided to drive by a house for sale where I want to end up living. The house looks great, built in 2006, no garage (yet), but it has .7 acres, so plenty of room and not too much to mow when I'm really old. I can have the garage built the way I want it. I suspect the house is on the market due to the closing of the International Paper mill nearby. Have an appointment to see it tomorrow. This may work out better than I hoped, but there'll still be storage of the welders for about 3 months.

Thanks for the help.
        Last edited by Blacksmith; 03-31-2012, 03:43 PM.
        Blacksmith
        Stickmate LX AC/DC
        Big cheap (Chinese) Anvil
        Hand cranked coal forge
        Freon bottle propane forge
        HH 210 and bottle of C25

Comment

Working...
        X