Please help me troubleshoot Ironman 250 Spool Gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help me troubleshoot Ironman 250 Spool Gun

I have not used the Miller 3545 spool gun in about a year but it worked flawless then. Today I needed it most and it will not adjust to the proper feed rate. The regular gun adjusts the feed rate perfect.

The Spool Gun seems to be on med/high speed area and if I adjust the feed rate to max it trips the push button breaker on the machine but then keeps running at steady med/high speed. It will weld but it pushes too much wire. I have cleaned all the connections for the spool gun with electrical spray cleaner and still the same.

Could it be the switch that switches between spool and standard gun?

Any help in trying to get this fixed is much appreciated. thanks for your time.

BTW, the spool gun is only used for aluminum and it is connected to the Hobart Ironman 250.

Does anyone have any pictures of the harness of the switch that switches between the two guns?

I purchased this welder from the original owner when welder was less than a year old and I think that the switch that is on there is homemade. I just want to make sure that the wires coming from the switch are going to the right spot on the harness so any pics showing where they run would be much appreciated so that I can eliminate that as a possible culprid although it did run fine about a year ago. If a diagram is available somewhere showing the run of the wires from the switch to the harness, that would help just as well.

When I say the wire run from switch to harness I mean just the 6" or so of wire and harness connected to switch.

Thanks

BTW, the harness is a rectangular 6 wire plug.
    Last edited by fidiro; 03-30-2012, 07:45 AM.

Comment

CASE CLOSED. After almost 4 hours yesterday and another 3 today I have it all figured out and working perfect again.

Comment

How about telling us what the problem was? It could help someone in the future.

Comment

Since the spool gun has always been hanging on the machine it was always being shifted out of the way of all the other wires/cables and in time it pulled the wiring inside the gun so tight that it rubbed a trigger wire bare and it was up against the electrode cable(I guess that is what it is called, the thick cable). I covered trigger wire with tape but did notice some stands of wire had broken so that wire was and is only running about 50% in that spot.

Spool gun is ready to be opened and inspected again as I was just about to do a couple more touch ups and gun quit all together. I was able to run 4 lbs of .047 4043 wire and 1 lb of .035 4043 before it quit feeding wire. I'm hoping that it is either the switch or that split in the wire fried itself apart. It has to be something switch related since I can't hear the clicking from the welder when trigger is depressed. I'll go at it again soon when I grind some cracks in the tailgate to weld back up but I may have to hunt down a new trigger if that wire is still intact. I'll jump the wire first before blaming the trigger switch.

I am still in the need of a pic or diagram of the OEM switch harness and wiring that switches between both guns. I am pretty sure that the swich I have on the welder is homemade as the welder harness has 5 wires and the switch harness only has 3. What would the other two wires on the harness control if harness is meant for that switch? Does the OEM switch only have 3 wires or does it use all 5? The harness is for 6 wires but only has 5 wires going to it.

Comment

I am still in the need of a pic or diagram of the OEM switch harness and wiring that switches between both guns. I am pretty sure that the swich I have on the welder is homemade as the welder harness has 5 wires and the switch harness only has 3. What would the other two wires on the harness control if harness is meant for that switch? Does the OEM switch only have 3 wires or does it use all 5? The harness is for 6 wires but only has 5 wires going to it.

Just thought I would seperate the last paragraph of my last post in the hopes someone can help me find an OEM switch diagram so that I can be sure the wiring is correct. My switch has 3 wires going out of it but it is plugged into the harness that has 5 wires going into the welder. Although switch works I just want to make sure.

I also have no gas valve diverter that I have been reading about so that may be another sign my switch may have been made by the previous owner. I just pull the hose and connect it to a coupler on the end of the spool gas hose.

Comment

If you have your serial number you can get the diagram from the owner's manual in the Service/Support tab on our website. The spool gun manual is there as well.

Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Hobart Expert Keith View Post
                If you have your serial number you can get the diagram from the owner's manual in the Service/Support tab on our website. The spool gun manual is there as well.

Keith
                OK, I'll have to find the serial # when I go to the yard sometime tomorrow.

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Working...
                X