Handler 187 Welding Problem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handler 187 Welding Problem...

Hey guys, I have had my Handler 187 for about 10 months now and it has been great. I am working on a utility trailer project and just recently the welder seems different. It seems that instead of the nice bacon sizzle sound it seems to be more of a low level farting sound. Seems like it is welding ok but just not quite right. I am running .030 solid wire with the argon c02 mix. My bottle reads just shy of 1000 psi. I am welding 3/16 steel and I have my settings at 60 for wire feed and then the number 6 welding position. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Question you probably can't answer, but has your input voltage changed? If you're using a different outlet or added an extension cord ... But if it's winter and people are using more lights/heat on your street or the power company replaced a trasformer, etc. Might need to tweak your wire speed a little and see if you get it back to the nice sizzle.
    Blacksmith
    Stickmate LX AC/DC
    Big cheap (Chinese) Anvil
    Hand cranked coal forge
    Freon bottle propane forge
    HH 210 and bottle of C25

Comment

I walked away from the computer for a little bit , and when I come back I find that Blacksmith stole my reply.

It has been a while since I last ran a Handler 187. However, I don't remember the suggested door chart settings being very good. So, one of the first things I would try would be to deviate from the door chart settings.

Also, as you consume a roll of wire , you may need to make adjustments to the spool hub tension.

Depending on how much welding you've done it may be time for a contact tip change.
      Last edited by Dan; 03-10-2012, 03:56 PM.
      MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
      Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
        I walked away from the computer for a little bit , and when I come back I find that Blacksmith stole my reply. ...
        Them Virginia boys are sneaky.
        --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
        -------------------------

Comment

Actually, I'm a yankee. But according to one of my native Virginian friends, a yankee is a northerner, a dam yankee is one that came south and there's another term which I know won't make it past the censors for one that doesn't know enought to leave (been here 21 years now). Anyway Dan, it's just a matter of timing.
          Blacksmith
          Stickmate LX AC/DC
          Big cheap (Chinese) Anvil
          Hand cranked coal forge
          Freon bottle propane forge
          HH 210 and bottle of C25

Comment

Around here, if you are "from Richmond", your folks probably lived here before Richmond was named in 1737. If you've been around here 20 years, people will ask "Where's your home?"
            --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
            -------------------------

Comment

did you change the wire? I have had different brands of wire and even the same brand wire run slightly different.

Comment

You might want to check your gun/hose connection to Welder

I've had several times where my working on a project, the gun/hose has tended to pull out of the connection, at the wire feed assembly. Doesn't take much for it to pull out just a little, and the gas instead of following down the hose to the gun tip, just flows out where the wire feed assembly is connected.

Just a quick check, and can cause a great deal of "What's wrong now!"

If it's happened, I've done it.

Comment

Working...
                X