Wire Feed loss caused by slipped liner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wire Feed loss caused by slipped liner

This is the first time this has happened to me. The liner in my HH180 slipped towards the rollers to the point where it kept the wire from feeding. the feed roller turned, but the wire would not feed/ I checked my spool tension, removed the spool to make sure I didn't have a loop trapped behind it (that HAS happened before!).

I must have neglected to tighten the little thumbscrew and the phillips head screw when I put a new liner in it last summer. 'took it that long to move (three 10 pound spools since). you wouldn't think the liner would move in the direction of the rollers, but rather the opposite, but it happened to me! I had just been moving the unit around, and re-positioning it in relation to the direction of pull on the snake to get a trailer welded.

I didn't take a picture before I moved the liner back up, and then re-tightened....but here is "today" picture showing the liner to help you visualize what/ where.

Last edited by Hotfoot; 03-06-2012, 12:02 AM.
    "Good Enough Never Is"

Is the aluminum power block melted down some on the machine face side of the bore that gun lead power inserts into?

Did your machine come with the phillips headed screw installed in the feed head? I have 3 Handler units here at home and none of them have that screw installed on the feed head.
    MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
    Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

Good eyes, Dan. It looks as though the gun lead isn't fully seated.
      --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
      -------------------------

Comment

Hot foot,

Your liner should thread into the end of power pin on your gun lead.
        MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
        Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

Hmmmm...didn't notice that! Looks like a big gas leak! I'll go out and investigate further! As far as the phillps head, I must have put that in years ago, and just forgot about it.
          "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Well, Dan gets the Gold Star! I pulled the liner back out, worked the end of the lead around in the machine a bit, cleaned off the mating surface (yes it HAD arced there!), and my trusty HH180 is purring right along now.

I think I may have put the new liner in to correct poor feeding caused by a loose lead connection, and, in jostling it about to install the liner, got it working better until now. When I pulled the wire out of the original liner, it slipped out very smoothly, and I thought then that the problem must lie somewhere else. I also changed out the drive roller with no noticeable improvement, and just flipped it over (run .023 roller on .030 wire) to patch up that problem....so I've "been 'lookin' for love in all the wrong places!!"

Thanks, guys! Amazing how I can look/touch the problem, and yet never see it...because I had it in my mind it was something else!...and the picture was taken at an angle that clearly showed that arc, but in normal view it was all hidden from view behind the ground lead cable.
            Last edited by Hotfoot; 03-07-2012, 07:26 AM.
            "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Interesting

I haven't had to take apart a Hobart-style gun. Tweco style liners go in from the power pin side and haven't seen one come out. Some of them won't come out after a year of daily use either!
              fence and gate shop worker
              At home...
              Lincoln Power MIG 180....
              Winco 6000 watt generator (13 hp Honda) "Big Jake"

Comment

Working...
              X