Handler 190 vs.187

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handler 190 vs.187

Hey guys, been looking at picking up a new mig welder. Just sold off my handler 140 that I've had for around six years. Wanting to go the 220 route. I do still have my stickmate ac/dc. Was thinking maybe the hh190. Is it the same welder as the old hh187?
    HH 140
    Hobart stickmate ac/dc
    Sanborn 7hp 60gal comp
    1950's Craftsman drillpress

I believe they kept all the good stuff and just made it spool-gun ready.
    --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
    -------------------------

Comment

According to Hobart Expert Darrell (Senior Engineer), the Handler 190 is just the Handler 187 with spool gun circuitry added.
      MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
      Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

Now I'm debating if I should skip over the hh190 and make the jump to the hh210 MVP. I don't know if I can justify $900 though versus the $700 for the hh190.
        HH 140
        Hobart stickmate ac/dc
        Sanborn 7hp 60gal comp

Comment

The easy way to justify it is by your last purchase. Divide the extra $200 by the six years you had your last welder (about $33 per year). Cheap to get what you want.
          Nick

Comment

Or hang on to the extra $200 and wait for a good deal on a 250 Amp stick welder.

Comment

Originally posted by scapegoat View Post
              Now I'm debating if I should skip over the hh190 and make the jump to the hh210 MVP. I don't know if I can justify $900 though versus the $700 for the hh190.
              If you mainly weld 3/16" and thinner with some ocassional 1/4" go with the Handler 190. If you are mainly welding 3/16" and 1/4" or slightly thicker then definitely consider the Handler 210 MVP.
              MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
              Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                If you mainly weld 3/16" and thinner with some ocassional 1/4" go with the Handler 190. If you are mainly welding 3/16" and 1/4" or slightly thicker then definitely consider the Handler 210 MVP.
                My son enjoyed running .045 dual-shield with CO2 on a 250A unit until it caught his pants on fire. Good stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by usmcpop View Post
                  My son enjoyed running .045 dual-shield with CO2 on a 250A unit until it caught his pants on fire. Good stuff.

When I was in welding school the guy in the booth next to me burned up the back lower half of his brand new flannel shirt running .045 dual shield vertical up. I ended up ruining a brand new left hand glove the first day of vertical up .045 dual shield. I also ended up with a couple blisters on my hand too. The next time around I came better prepared. I stopped by the welding store during lunch break and purchased a heat shield for protecting my left hand.

PM 180C

Comment

If I can swing the extra money for the 210 MVP I think I'll buy it.
                    HH 140
                    Hobart stickmate ac/dc
                    Sanborn 7hp 60gal comp

Comment

I bought the HH 210 MVP and so far i love it. I did replace the ground clamp because the factory clamp just looks so cheap.
                      Fireman Bill

HH 210 MVP
                      MM 211
                      Spoolmate 100
                      Lotas LTP5000D Plasma
                      Oxy/Accet (Victor)
                      Wards AC/DC buzz box
                      30 ton old hyd press
                      A few brand name tools
                      A bunch of cheap tools
                      A wife to worry me and
                      4 dogs to supervise me

Comment

I do still have my ac/dc stickmate so I could get away with the hh190. I hear the 190 is the updated version of the hh187. I also heard that the hh187/190 has a better arc than the hh210/hh210 MVP.
                        HH 140
                        Hobart stickmate ac/dc
                        Sanborn 7hp 60gal comp

Comment

Originally posted by scapegoat View Post
                          I do still have my ac/dc stickmate so I could get away with the hh190. I hear the 190 is the updated version of the hh187. I also heard that the hh187/190 has a better arc than the hh210/hh210 MVP.
                          The difference in arc quality isn't major, but it is noticable. Honestly both units produce a solid short circuit transfer arc.

You seem to be hesitant to spend the extra for the 210. If this is the case, just purchase the Handler 190, and move on. Any welding needs I have aound here on my Wife's small horse farm/ranch would easliy be covered with a Handler 190 and my Maxstar 150 STH.

PM 180C

Comment

The price isn't so much of an issue. It's just nice to save money wherever I can. I did find the hh210mvp for $800 new. So it's pretty close in price.
                            HH 140
                            Hobart stickmate ac/dc
                            Sanborn 7hp 60gal comp

Comment

Working...
                            X