TREK 180, extension cord, or generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TREK 180, extension cord, or generator

Once the rain lets up around here my Wife has informed me that I have small welding job to do down at her horse barn. Since I don't have a welding outlet down at the barn, my Father-in-law pointed this was a perfect situation for the Trek 180 that Hobart let me play with over a year ago. I thought that was a good idea; however, my Wife said no to driving to Airgas and placing the order for one.

Considering that the heat in my home is 100% electrical a generator might not be a bad idea to have around.

My 240V outlet in the garage to the area down by the horse barn would require a 100 ft extension cord. I don't need a 100' of SO cord laying around in my garage. So, I suppose for a 1/2 hour job I could get by running the Handler 210 MVP off a temporary 12/2 Romex extension cord.
    Last edited by Dan; 02-24-2012, 07:30 AM.
    MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
    Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

I don't see anything wrong with a temporary use of romex. It is solid wire and subject to breaking from repeated flexing like would happen with a full time extension cord. Truth be told, when I first started welding, my boss had a 100 foot extension cord made out of multiple pieces of romex with well taped splices. Looking back, it wasn't very smart, but I wasn't the boss. I lived through it, so for one job, I say go for it.

Note to the general public; I've seen Dan's posts for years and I believe him to be a very experienced individual and that he will do just this one job. I am in no way condoning the use of romex over SO for a permanant extension cord.
    Blacksmith
    Stickmate LX AC/DC
    Big cheap (Chinese) Anvil
    Hand cranked coal forge
    Freon bottle propane forge
    HH 210 and bottle of C25

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
      Once the rain lets up around here my Wife has informed me that I have small welding job to do down at her horse barn. Since I don't have a welding outlet down at the barn, my Father-in-law pointed this was a perfect situation for the Trek 180 that Hobart let me play with over a year ago. I thought that was a good idea; however, my Wife said no to driving to Airgas and placing the order for one.

Considering that the heat in my home is 100% electrical a generator might not be a bad idea to have around.

My 240V outlet in the garage to the area down by the horse barn would require a 100 ft extension cord. I don't need a 100' of SO cord laying around in my garage. So, I suppose for a 1/2 hour job I could get by running the Handler 210 MVP off a temporary 12/2 Romex extension cord.

Funny how handy my Esab C-200 and Thermal-arc scout combo is... The scout alone is worth it's weight in gold...

Do you have the tractor yet??? Maybe a PTO generator would be a good option for you.
      Last edited by Scott V; 02-24-2012, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Ride the horses back to the garage and weld on them there.
        --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
        -------------------------

Comment

psst

2-50' 12/3 cords = 100'

Ed Conley
          Screaming Broccoli, Inc
          http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
          MM252
          MM211
          Miller Passport Plus, Spoolmate 100
          TA185
          SO 2020 Bender
          Miller 125c Plasma
          "Hold my beer while I try this!"

Comment

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
            psst

2-50' 12/3 cords = 100'

http://www.harborfreight.com/50-ft-x...ord-41444.html

Probably cheaper then Romex these days?

Comment

Run if from 240. But one thing interesting. Even though Dan is smarter than I am and knows more about this stuff than I ever will I sense some reluctance to run a wire or modify a circuit?
              Since you just bought a house this may be so true, if I can plumb or wire my way around a headache safety or service issue usually I am on it before I hit the bed at night. The last time Idecidedd to move I was on it that day with a couple new kitchen counter top circuits. What year was your home built? Spec house or owner built?
              My place was in 76 and had shared kitchen counter top circuit at 15A, I used a 12/3 and multi wire 2 new 20A, there was a gfci installed wrong in bathroom circuits and they had installed a 4 wire dryer circuit and cord but had left the N bond in the dryer. The rest of it was pretty good and this new took any real load from the rest of the building wiring.
              Last edited by Sberry; 02-25-2012, 09:10 AM.
              http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

Originally posted by Sberry View Post
                Run if from 240. But one thing interesting. Even though Dan is smarter than I am and knows more about this stuff than I ever will I sense some reluctance to run a wire or modify a circuit?
                Since you just bought a house this may be so true, if I can plumb or wire my way around a headache,safetyy or service issue usually I am on it before I hit the bed at night. The last time Idecidedd to move I was on it that day with a couple new kitchencounter topp circuits. What year was your home built?
                I now think he should get the backhoe attachment for his new little tractor. Run some 2-2-2-4 Aluminum in some conduct down there.

Comment

Thats not a far fetched idea especially considering the cost of copper and the end result which is you can have multi wire, have lights and outlet circuit and breaker in the main panel at 50A or better and service a 50A welder circuit, hook well or pump on, even feed extended circuits or other out buildings etc.
                  Panels are cheap these days, if the garage isattachedd if I had less than ideal service there would be tempted to feed 8 space main lug with a 6 cable if it was difficult and feed a 2 to a 6 space in the out building.
                  I don't know how difficult digging is there, I have even notched ground with loader, dig a foot or so, with a little help could be as little as a couple hrs work hand dig? Here if I need to add watedeeperer I usually hire backhoe from a bud.

Comment

It's great soil for growing Strawberries..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willamette_Valley

Seems like 20" deep min. so (Without a water line, which also sounds like a idea)
                    Last edited by Scott V; 02-25-2012, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Wow, went from a "small welding job to do down at her horse barn" to a trenched in service upgrade to provide 50 amp power to the barn. I'll bet Dan can't wait for anymore of our "help."
                      Blacksmith
                      Stickmate LX AC/DC
                      Big cheap (Chinese) Anvil
                      Hand cranked coal forge
                      Freon bottle propane forge
                      HH 210 and bottle of C25

Comment

Originally posted by Blacksmith View Post
                        Wow, went from a "small welding job to do down at her horse barn" to a trenched in service upgrade to provide 50 amp power to the barn. I'll bet Dan can't wait for anymore of our "help."
                        He just needs to ask one more question.....Want to buy a welder...

Comment

Based on all the additional work they're trying to produce for me, I 'm starting to think Cary and Scott have been communicating with my Wife about trying to get me to do item #3 (more elctrical power) on her to do list for her horse barn area. BTW, the water line that Scott mentioned is on the list too.

Scott, we've had the tractor for few weeks now. It's a little subcompact Kubota B2320 with front end loader.

If we do decide to purchase a generator for back up power, I doubt we'd go with a PTO driven version. I suspect my Wife would rather go with a unit that she could take along with her on her horse ladies only camping trip that her and her three friends go on near the end of summer.

Cary, the house was built (home owner) in 2000. It has a 200 amp service. There were 6 open slots in the panel when we moved in. I used 2 of them for my 240 volt 50 amp welding circuit in the garage. For testing the Handler 210 MVP 120V side and also to giving me a circuit run my Handler 125 EZ off of, I used another slot for a 120V 30 amp circuit. I also had to run a 120V 30 amp circuit for my Father-in-laws motor home. So I have two slot still open that I have future plans of using for running a 240 volt 30 - 50 amp circuit down to the barn. Before doing this though, we're going to add on to the barn first. The previous owner ran a 120V 15 amp circuit down to the barn. They ran a 12/2 with ground so I've been thinking about upgrading the breaker to a 20 amp for now.
                          MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
                          Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

Yes, 2000 is good, hasall the modern code requirements for most circuits. Usually owners do a better job than spec where they just slide under the minimums.

Comment

So Electric heat, and I would guess a well pump? (portable too) Sounds like you need to tell the wife, a Miller 302/Lincoln 305g (wheel kit), is about the only unit that will work.

Comment

Working...
                              X