Welding 16g with flux core

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding 16g with flux core

Hi I'm new to welding and to this forum, I have a Hobart handler 140 and my first project was a welding cart which came out pretty good with 1/8" angle. Now I'm trying to build a custom outdoor cooking station, I'm using 1" 16g square tubing the problem is that I keep burning through I started with my settings on 2/20 and am currently on 1/35 it's a little better but still burns through, I know some gas would help but don't have any. Please help thanks.

Small spot welds are the key to it. Don't try running long beads. Give it a minute between spot welds and spread the spot welds out then go back and add more spot welds next to the ones you laid earlier.
    Scott

Comment

turn your wire down if possible, try a longer stickout, increase your gun angle , let the part cool between welds. good fit up is easier to weld. practice and experiment you dont need gas to do this.

Comment

Yeah I cut some 45's that didn't fit up too good, well thanks guys I'll try some today the rest should be just some but joints. Having a blast with my Lil welder.

Comment

Originally posted by Jroussel View Post
          Yeah I cut some 45's that didn't fit up too good, well thanks guys I'll try some today the rest should be just some but joints. Having a blast with my Lil welder.
          Also, should be pushing rather than pulling with faster travel, to decrease penetration. (Real solution is get gas with .023 solid wire).
          Last edited by Northweldor; 02-06-2012, 06:03 PM.

Comment

I didn't think you could push with flux core only pull. Learn something new everyday. Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X