HH140 gas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HH140 gas

I picked up a HH140 a month or so ago, new to welding for the most part, totally new to MIG. I love the HH140 thus far, been using with the flux wire that came with it and right now the welds aren't pretty, but they penetrate and hold and are solid. Anyway, I picked up a bottle and hooked it up for gas, swapped to solid wire, setup seemed straightforward, swapped the leads, hoked up the hosed, swapped the wire, put on the regulator, but it doesn't seem like any gas is coming out when i tried to weld, maybe it is and i just can't tell, but i thought if i held my hand up by the tip i should be able to feel it coming out with the wire (obviously not when i'm actually trying to weld, but just pulling the trigger to check the wire tension, etc). I listened there too and it didn't seem like i could hear anything coming out... Reg says lots of pressure and I set the flow rate to 20... any ideas? am i just crazy?

What happens to the flow gage when you pull the trigger. The indicated flow rate should drop to indicate what your actual flow rate is. You set flow rate with cylinder valve open, welder plugged in and switched on while drive roll pressure is released and trigger is pulled so you don't waste wire.

The holes in diffuser that the contact tip screws into could be plugged from when you were welding with flux core wire. Can also have slag in nozzle.

Finally you could have bad gas solenoid, loose wire to gas solenoid or hose from gas solenoid to wire feeder might not be on a hose barb. There could also be rubber chunk in gas solenoid blocking gas flow.

UNPLUG YOUR WELDER BEFORE BEFORE REMOVING COVER FOR ELECTRICAL SIDE OF WELDER. YOU CAN GET FATAL ELECTRICAL SHOCK WITH THAT COVER OFF WHEN WELDER IS PLUGGED INTO ELECTRICAL OUTLET.

Having and knowing how to use a Volt ohm meter helps you find electrical problems.

Comment

If you do not have gas coverage with the solid wire, believe me, you'll know it. I was like you, could not tell I had any gas coming out the nozzle, until one day I had forgotten to open the gas valve on the cylinder and the weld was awful.
      Miller Challenger 172
      Hobart AC/DC Stickmate
      Older Sears AC stick machine

Comment

If it's very harsh; snapping and popping and the bead looks like swiss cheese or chicken poop, you don't have gas. Turn the bottle off, if it gets worse, then you had gas flow with the bottle open. If it's breezey (not even windy) where you're trying to weld then you may need more gas flow (more than 20 cfh) or to move/shield the weld area.
        Blacksmith
        Stickmate LX AC/DC
        Big cheap (Chinese) Anvil
        Hand cranked coal forge
        Freon bottle propane forge
        HH 210 and bottle of C25

Comment

Thanks ya'll! Roger your instructions got it fixed, I had set the flow rate incorrectly, I reset it and its good to go now, I can feel the gas coming out and hear it as well. Will throw down some welds tomorrow night maybe, took a while to get the kids in bed tonight so I really only had time to reset the flow rate.

Comment

Working...
          X