No announcement yet.

Danny, what do you think??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only thing I cannot understand is why these very portable machines do not come in dual voltage
    I think they would sell more

esab caddy, kemmpi evo and thermal 181i no dv
    HTP invertig 221 DV
    Lincoln 3350 viking ad
    Next... Hypertherm powermax 65
    Miller Passport Plus with spoolgun
    Lincoln Tombstone
    Grizzly 79" Belt sander
    Firepower Oxy/acetylene
    Ingersoll rand 2 stage comp.

Measure to build, Hammer to fit, Paint to hide.

Comment

I think it's more of a weight/cost, and pathetic output on 120 volt then anything. The new Thermal-arc 200 will have power factor caps, and might do OK on 120 volt input. One downside is almost 60 pounds compared to 181 at 35 pounds. Being able to run on a small generator is way more important to me. Doubt anything is as good as the Esab on generator power. The Miller passport is really finicky on a smaller 120 volt generator, so I rather run it on 230 anyway.

One last picture in this thread... I do think Dan would most happy with a 181i It has a 12 ft gun, and a nice little drive setup. Also after setting up my Thermal tonight, I think Thermal-arc really knows how to get a great inverter arc.. My new old new stock American Thermal-arc feeder,and the 12 ft Binzel gun is a excellent combo. The single drive roll (Dual driven) will run .023 to .035 wire perfect. I happen to put my last roll of of American .030 HB-28 in it. It might be the best machine I have ever used with .030 wire. I am now on a mission to find some more wire...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Thermal-arc 400 MTS-1000 feeder ctc..jpg
Views:	1
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	664183
      Last edited by Brand X; 01-22-2012, 11:30 PM.
      Esab 2200 AC/DC
      Thermal 211i
      Thermal Pee-wee 85s
      Smith O/A plus mini torch
      Smith machine torch
      LN-25 pro
      LF-72 feeder
      Edwards 65 ton
      5X10 CNC table
      Victor A-120
      Miller Shopmate 300DX
      S-74D feeder

Remember good judgment comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgment.

Comment

Originally posted by Brand X View Post
        They did, then canceled their good idea. I still think it was a bonehead move, no matter what the replacement machine is. This model, and the 250 plus are still the nicest 250 models ever built. (From anyone IMO)

http://cfnewsads.thomasnet.com/image...823/823839.jpg

If I wanted a simple tapped unit with nice options, I would go this way over a Migmaster 280.

http://www.scottgrossstore.com/servl...-Welder/Detail
        I knew you were going to mention the Migmaster 275. With the 275 ESAB definitely added some nice improvements to the 250. It's a shame they discontinued it. With the 280 ESAB definitely took a step backwards in the wire drive, even compared to the drive assembly on the 250.

For cable storage on my Migmaster 250, I'm thinking I might order a couple of the plastic cable hangers for a Hobart Ironman 230.
        MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
        Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

Originally posted by Brand X View Post
          I think it's more of a weight/cost, and pathetic output on 120 volt then anything. The new Thermal-arc 200 will have power factor caps, and might do OK on 120 volt input. One downside is almost 60 pounds compared to 181 at 35 pounds. Being able to run on a small generator is way more important to me. Doubt anything is as good as the Esab on generator power. The Miller passport is really finicky on a smaller 120 volt generator, so I rather run it on 230 anyway.

One last picture in this thread... I do think Dan would most happy with a 181i It has a 12 ft gun, and a nice little drive setup. Also after setting up my Thermal tonight, I think Thermal-arc really knows how to get a great inverter arc.. My new old new stock American Thermal-arc feeder,and the 12 ft Binzel gun is a excellent combo. The single drive roll (Dual driven) will run .023 to .035 wire perfect. I happen to put my last roll of of American .030 HB-28 in it. It might be the best machine I have ever used with .030 wire. I am now on a mission to find some more wire...

[ATTACH]34328[/ATTACH]
          Considering my Migmaster 250 and Ironman 230 are both very good 3/16" and 1/4" short arc units, I am really not concerned about top end power. I mainly want a unit with an inductance control for the educational experience. I know the theory, but never having ran a unit with an inductance control I lack the real world experience.

Anyway, I pretty much felt that I would be most pleased with the 181i. Now I just need to get busy organizing my garage so that I can put the MM 210 and PM 180C up for sale. I figure if I come up with the $800 by selling both units the Wife won't complain to much about adding another unit. Due to the recent flooding (horse pasture and barn area) the Wife's rabbits are the first thing that I need to remove from the garage this upcoming weekend. The barn and pasture area (1 1/2+ acres) is at least 8 feet lower then the house. We ended up with over 12" of water in the barn and pasture area. The horses and rabbits were evacuated to higher ground.

Is your new Binzel gun (forgot the model #) as good as the Alpha series?
          MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
          Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

This one in the Ergo grip..

http://www.binzel.de/US/eng/products...rip-15-ak.html

Love the gun feel, and how it feeds wire. Fits better into my feeder then the Radnor gun. (Binzel too) The cable seems even more flexible then the Alpha 1, I had. That's been a while though. Better then the Esab Binzel in that area.(Still good) Takes the same tips as the Esab, so not too bad to have in supply. Ebay is loaded with that stuff now. The 50 degree neck is less of a issue because of the curve of the handle compared to the Esab. I am getting use to that too. The recessed nozzle sucks,but my belt sander solved that issue.

I did pick up some Radnor .023, and .030 for the yellow unit. Excellent wire for both the Thermal, and the Esab. The little Esab has a great low end with that wire, and will match or exceed any machine out in that area. I wanted the lightest machine I could get, that would weld 22 ga to .250 in a single pass. It's exactly what I wanted, and got. I also wanted something that would run well on CO2,and it does very well. I have a 5 lb bottle with a quick disconnect on it, Esab has one on the welder side. I was also looking for generator friendly, and I think this one might be the very best of the bunch in that area.

I am happy with the range of the inductance, not as wide the other inverters I have, but I can hit the mark just fine with 10 settings. I think you would be real happy with the Thermal, just because of the type of adjustment for the inductance control. My 350 mpi has that style, and it does not take much movement to get what you want. Fast to adjust, and you don't have to push a programming button to make small changes.
            Last edited by Brand X; 01-25-2012, 11:45 PM.
            Esab 2200 AC/DC
            Thermal 211i
            Thermal Pee-wee 85s
            Smith machine torch
            LN-25 pro
            LF-72 feeder
            Edwards 65 ton
            5X10 CNC table
            Victor A-120
            Miller Shopmate 300DX
            S-74D feeder

Remember good judgment comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgment.

Comment

Danny,
              I can now check both gun types on the same machine. I decided to use the Lincoln, and Thermal-arc feeder on the same unit. Grab either gun and it works. I have .030 in one, and .035 in the other feeder. Since the Lincoln runs the 14 pin amptrol/Thermal on the 120 volt 19 pin amptrol, It's gun on demand. I thought you had to flip a switch on the back (400mst) to get the amptrol live. Not so with a feeder setup. I not sure what I am going to do with the yellow one yet, but the Hobart Portafeed 17 will run off of that one with a adapter cable, and just switch a few wires inside the feeder. The will give it 120 volt contactor operation.. This is a much more user friendly setup now..

Name:	adapter.jpg
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	664192

Name:	alum..jpg
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	664193

Name:	guns.jpg
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	664194

Name:	feeders.jpg
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	664195

Name:	dual.jpg
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	664196

By the way I still like the standard Binzel gun very well. It's just that it is 15 ft long, and the new one is 12ft. Perfect size for around here.
              Last edited by Brand X; 01-30-2012, 01:03 PM.
              Esab 2200 AC/DC
              Thermal 211i
              Thermal Pee-wee 85s
              Smith machine torch
              LN-25 pro
              LF-72 feeder
              Edwards 65 ton
              5X10 CNC table
              Victor A-120
              Miller Shopmate 300DX
              S-74D feeder

Comment

Working...
              X