Danny, what do you think??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Danny, what do you think??

This thing is sweet!! Powerful too!! Tried lots of different gases for C02/C-25/C-10/ 98%Argon-2% O2 at the max 472 /IPM /WFS It was a sweet Spray with.030 solid wire. Just a test to compare the little welders out. Way more guts then a Passport or HH-210
    Attached Files
    Esab 2200 AC/DC
    Thermal 211i
    Thermal Pee-wee 85s
    Smith O/A plus mini torch
    Smith machine torch
    LN-25 pro
    LF-72 feeder
    Edwards 65 ton
    5X10 CNC table
    Victor A-120
    Miller Shopmate 300DX
    S-74D feeder

Remember good judgment comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgment.

Scott,

Can the gun assembly be removed from the feed head? Meaning, does the machine end of the gun lead have a power pin that inserts into a socket on the feed head? The angle of the neck on the gun seems a little flat? The gun on my CK 175 has a flatter neck angle (around 30º) it works fine for most joint designs and positions; however, it is a little annoying for flat groove joints.

Spray arc welds almost allows wet out well, so were is a picture of one of the short arc welds. This unit has an inductance control, correct?
    MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
    Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

Dan,
      I will run some different wires like HB-28, L-56, and whatever else I have. It came with All state .030 and it seems good. Esab 86?? It wets out fine. Very similar arc to the Thermal 400 mst. Inductance is 00 to 10 with 5 being the setting for mixed shielding gas. Not as fine tuning as some machines in inductance settings,but enough. CO2 starts at 00 setting. I only messed with it a bit the other night, and hope to get out there again.

The gun angle is OK with the socket setup . I do like the blue Binzel better, but I figured I would. I have not tried to get the gun off yet, so I don't know just how it's put together. There is a nut that holds the liner in, but I am not sure if it holds the gun on too. I can't see a block that holds thing, but I will look closer. I ordered a Teflon liner, and a U groove feed roll for Aluminum. I have some .023 Silicon Bronze I want to try with this unit, and it takes the same plastic liner. It has a slope-setting for that stuff.

Here is a bit more info on this thing.

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/...p?f=12&t=87631
      Esab 2200 AC/DC
      Thermal 211i
      Thermal Pee-wee 85s
      Smith machine torch
      LN-25 pro
      LF-72 feeder
      Edwards 65 ton
      5X10 CNC table
      Victor A-120
      Miller Shopmate 300DX
      S-74D feeder

Remember good judgment comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgment.

Comment

http://www.esabna.com/literature/Arc...0300%20095.pdf

Nothing on how the gun comes out, but I am sure you have to split the case to remove it Since it's part of the welder, maybe it has a three year warranty too. Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	664172

I really like how easy it is to load, and thread the wire. No adjustment for the spool tension, and the wire threads though super easy. About the fastest machine to change out wire there is. The drag is always perfect by design. Tested with other spools of different brands, and amount on the spools.
        Esab 2200 AC/DC
        Thermal 211i
        Thermal Pee-wee 85s
        Smith machine torch
        LN-25 pro
        LF-72 feeder
        Edwards 65 ton
        5X10 CNC table
        Victor A-120
        Miller Shopmate 300DX
        S-74D feeder

Comment

Looking at the product literature I suspected the gun wasn't easily removed from the unit. The permenantly fixed gun is the one thing I dislike about my Handler 125 EZ.

I don't change drive roll to often, but it is a little disappointing to see that ESAB didn't go with some kind of tool-less quick change design.

Your picture makes it seem like there is a fair amount of distance between inlet guide tube and the drive roll. Is the gap as large at picture makes it seem?
          MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
          Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

Comment

You just have to flip it over if you use .023 wire. At least it's a .030/.035. Get this the liner is a .023/.030, and the optional one is ...... Calling Esab to see what really is up . Yes, there is quite a gap, but I have not noticed any feeding issues yet. Might with smaller wire, but I doubt it. I am pretty sure I am going to stick with .030 for the most part, so not too worried about changing things over. Made in Poland by the way..

PS, the drive motor is really strong, and not like a lot of little machines out. Still I set it up by the book, and not too tight on the feed rollers.
            Last edited by Brand X; 01-21-2012, 03:03 AM.
            Esab 2200 AC/DC
            Thermal 211i
            Thermal Pee-wee 85s
            Smith machine torch
            LN-25 pro
            LF-72 feeder
            Edwards 65 ton
            5X10 CNC table
            Victor A-120
            Miller Shopmate 300DX
            S-74D feeder

Comment

Lincoln used a plastic wire reel retainer about like the red one used by Esab Caddy. You adjusted reel drag with screwdriver and adjustment screw hidden inside reel axle tube. It worked ok but if adjustment is needed not as easy as other systems.

Comment

Just noticed the spring behind the red knob. Lincoln didn't have that spring making adjustments sometimes needed.

Comment

That thing is nice,appears to have power to spare,very lightweight also from what Iv read..
                  http://www.youtube.com/jimcaf57

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                    Just noticed the spring behind the red knob. Lincoln didn't have that spring making adjustments sometimes needed.
                    Roger,
                    Looking at the thing, you would think it would be a poor setup. In practice, it functions very well. I was skeptical of the whole drive arrangement layout, but it fooled me. I am use to some really decent wire drive layouts, and was just sure this was going to be a POS.

The gun layout is a non issue too. Meaning if it gets damaged, i will have to take out 11 screws to get at it. ON the plus side, it has no contactor wires to snag, and the gun/cables roll up very nice on the machine. The wire drive floats a bit, to give it a bit of wiggle room if the gun is hit.
                    Esab 2200 AC/DC
                    Thermal 211i
                    Thermal Pee-wee 85s
                    Smith machine torch
                    LN-25 pro
                    LF-72 feeder
                    Edwards 65 ton
                    5X10 CNC table
                    Victor A-120
                    Miller Shopmate 300DX
                    S-74D feeder

Comment

Took it apart to see how the gun comes off. It's not too bad, but you have to remove 11 screws, pull the front cover off by unplugging from it's ribbon connector, loosen the 17 MM nut inside the drive compartment, remove the cable from the positive lead stud,unplug the trigger wire in the same compartment and clip the gas hose clamp. I found out the drive motor/housing will not come out without removing the circuit board.(Not necessary to get the gun off) With some long nose needle nose, you can get around that one though. I ended up tightening them because they were left loose from the factory. I was wondering why they designed slop into that thing. Seems like if they designed it more like the Kemmpi mini-mig setup, it would be a big step forward. The Kemmpi seems to miss the mark on cable management, which would be way more annoying to deal with. Still a nice unit!!

http://www.rapidwelding.com/dynamic/...=61008200&zl=3

The Q-set on the MS is way closer with .035 wire. HF wire runs pretty good in it, and the only .035 I have tried. (Go figure)
                      Last edited by Brand X; 01-21-2012, 05:10 PM.
                      Esab 2200 AC/DC
                      Thermal 211i
                      Thermal Pee-wee 85s
                      Smith machine torch
                      LN-25 pro
                      LF-72 feeder
                      Edwards 65 ton
                      5X10 CNC table
                      Victor A-120
                      Miller Shopmate 300DX
                      S-74D feeder

Comment

Cable storage looks like it is very well thought out. To bad ESAB didn't invest some time in creating some type of cable storage on my Migmaster 250.

Since they are falling within the price range that I can afford, these smaller compact units (C200i and 181i) that offer an inductance control (option that I've always wanted) are really tempting me to add a new unit by summer time.

PM 180C

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                          Cable storage looks like it is very well thought out. To bad ESAB didn't invest some time in creating some type of cable storage on my Migmaster 250.

Since they are falling within the price range that I can afford, these smaller compact units (C200i and 181i) that offer an inductance control (option that I've always wanted) are really tempting me to add a new unit by summer time.

I had .030 in when I thought I had .035. So Q-set is closer for .030. Anyway probably not something I will use very much. Just voltage/WFS/inductance is fine manually. Took a few pics at full output with .030 wire. Short-arc and Spray. Too much voltage on the spray and angle/etc got a bunch of undercut. don't have to much .500 to test anyway. Not going to run it like that because it will melt the gun pretty quick. I know it works like it should, so now it's just going to be used as it was designed for. The amp/voltage hold is nice on the C-200i

I think you really should look into the the Thermal machine. Burn-back- finer control of the inductance is something you would like. The Esab seems not to need the burn-back, just like my Thermal machine setup with the Thermal feeders. Some machines do, and others don't.
                          Attached Files
                          Esab 2200 AC/DC
                          Thermal 211i
                          Thermal Pee-wee 85s
                          Smith machine torch
                          LN-25 pro
                          LF-72 feeder
                          Edwards 65 ton
                          5X10 CNC table
                          Victor A-120
                          Miller Shopmate 300DX
                          S-74D feeder

Comment

The Kemppi has really impressive simplified display and adjustment system.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                              They did, then canceled their good idea. I still think it was a bonehead move, no matter what the replacement machine is. This model, and the 250 plus are still the nicest 250 models ever built. (From anyone IMO)

http://cfnewsads.thomasnet.com/image...823/823839.jpg

If I wanted a simple tapped unit with nice options, I would go this way over a Migmaster 280.

http://www.scottgrossstore.com/servl...-Welder/Detail
                              Last edited by Brand X; 01-22-2012, 01:57 PM.
                              Esab 2200 AC/DC
                              Thermal 211i
                              Thermal Pee-wee 85s
                              Smith machine torch
                              LN-25 pro
                              LF-72 feeder
                              Edwards 65 ton
                              5X10 CNC table
                              Victor A-120
                              Miller Shopmate 300DX
                              S-74D feeder

Comment

Working...
                              X