HH 210MVP drive roll

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HH 210MVP drive roll

I have a Hobart Handler 210MVP and have put just under ten pounds of .030 and .035 wire through it so far. My question is on the drive roll supplied with the unit, both grooves are for either .030 or .035 wire but one side is knurled without the "VK" stamp and the other is smooth with a "VK" stamp. What does the "VK" stand for and under what condition would I use the knurled groove vs. the smooth groove and vise versa? I can find nothing mentioned in the owner's manual. See page thirty, section 7-4.

Vee - Knurled, I suppose, for flux-core. The stamp is on the opposite side so you can see it. See section 7-4 of the manual.
    --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
    -------------------------

Comment

I read the drive roll wrong. The "VK" refers to the knurled groove thus the meaning "V groove, Knurled" comes to mind. O.k., now which groove, smooth or knurled is used for what application?

Comment

The knurled is used for flux-cored wires. This gives better grip with less pressure. The smooth groove is for solid wires. You would not wnat the knurl for copper coated steel wires as it will flake of the copper and clog liners.

Keith

Comment

Thanks Keith,
          All I've used to date is flux core wire in the smooth groove so now I'll switch over to the knurled groove. Why wasn't that information in the booklet? Seems quite important to me, a first time welder. Call the suits and ask for an inclusion in the manual-we're not all seasoned MIG welders......

Comment

Read your welders manual again. I bet information about knurled groove is in the manual. I never had perfect memory and need to read manual more than once.

Knurled groove lets you use lighter drive roll pressure to push wire so wire stays round for close fitting contact tip. But if knurled groove slips, it files off more metal filings than smooth groove. Use just enough reel drag to prevent over ridding turns and bird nests on wire reel. Low reel drag lets you use low drive roll pressure with less strain on wire drive system for long trouble free life. I set reel drag so when drive stops full reel continues turning a few degrees so wire has slight curve between reel and drive. Full reel has more inertia than empty reel and full reel has longer lever arm making it easier for drive to pull wire than near empty reel.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
              Read your welders manual again. I bet information about knurled groove is in the manual. I never had perfect memory and need to read manual more than once.
              Care to make a substantial wager?

Comment

You win.
                I knew it pointed out the smooth groove and knurled groove but didn't notice no explanation of why they have the knurled groove.

Comment

Working...
                X