Good deal on Hobart Handler 180?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good deal on Hobart Handler 180?

I found a guy selling his late fathers Hobart Handler 180 Mig welder. Its 220v and is new in box. Never been used or even opened. I think the unit is 4 or 5 years old based on when the son said his father bought it. He is asking $380 . Im new to welding so i thought i would see what yal thought. Thanks

I'd steer clear of a Handler 180. Taps 3 & 4 ( unit offers a total of 4 voltage taps) on the unit produce a rough harsh arc that tends to generate a healthy amount of spatter. This would be with solid wire and a 75Ar/25Co² gas mix on mild steel. The Handler 180 developed a bad reputation due to this, so Hobart addressed the weaknesses of the Handler 180 by producing the Handler 187. The Handler 187 is a very good performing unit, that produces a clean smooth arc from all 7 voltage taps. Hobart current Handler 190 is a Handler 187 with spool gun circuitry added to the unit.
    MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
    Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

Working...
    X