Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 Welder or 2?

Hi all,
    Not really a question, but more of a poll for opinions. I have been diligently saving my pennies in a tough economy all the while eyeing a new welder. I had settled on getting a HH210MVP as I like the idea of the 120/240v flexability. I currently am using a HH140 and often find myself wanting the extra oomph of 240v.
    I am now considering keeping the HH140 and just getting a HH190 with the spoolgun instead of selling my small unit to get the 210MVP. I have recently started to have people asking for welding favors/jobs and may be turning this into a little side money down the road. I like the idea of having 1 for small portable type needs and a larger more capable unit when needed. I'm having a hard time parting with my HH140!

I'm thinking you have already made your decision!

Comment

How about 6, that's what I ended up with. Got a big shop MIG, a bigger shop MIG, a shop TIG, a stick machine, a gas drive stick machine, a 110 vac MIG. Doesn't include feeders or spool guns. Got to have machine for every occasion.
      Walker
      Chief slag chipper & floor sweeper
      Ironwood Artistic

Comment

no way id part with the 140. id rather have the 210 than a spool gun but the 190 would do about anything an average joe would ask of it.

how much aluminum work have you missed in the past two years?

Comment

1 welder or 2

Two parts to "Arc Force" success. The Master and the apprentice. Yes go get a Lincoln or equivalent "Buzz Box" and you'll have the coverage needed to complete most tasks. What you won't succesfully cover with the mig you will most adequately fulfill with a stick welder. There are lots of different rods that adequately fill requirements for plate coverage when needed. Even some thin plate can be welded with the Buzzer. You may end up with many welders but some of them will hang around longer than others.

Comment

My shop budget is also tight so I wound up with a MIG and a stick machine for heavier work. Keep in mind that I am a hobbyist so my needs seldom include metal over 1/4"-thick. For what it would have cost to get a bigger MIG, the stick machine looked pretty good.
            Tom Hintz, publisher
            www.newmetalworker.com
            www.newwoodworker.com

Comment

If you don't ever plan to do aluminum, the spoolgun is less useful. As stated, a MIG and a stick give a lot of coverage. I first got a good deal on the stickmate and figured I'd get a 140, but the 187's got better endorsements, being a 220 volt unit. Went to Tractor Supply to buy a close-out 187, found the 210 for $50 more and that was that. As I've posted elsewhere, I'm keeping the stickmate, with these two I can weld anything I've got any business welding.

That being said, consider a stick welder, or pass for now on the spool gun and put the money towards gas and wire for practice.
              Blacksmith
              Stickmate LX AC/DC
              Big cheap (Chinese) Anvil
              Hand cranked coal forge
              Freon bottle propane forge
              HH 210 and bottle of C25

Comment

Good points to consider! I'm doubting how much I would use a spool gun. I had a chance to train on a Miller Dynasty 350 and we started right out on Aluminum. Wow! I really liked TIG. I would love a tig machine but the cost is more than what I can swing right now. I will be getting a TIG unit down the road. A stick machine is a great idea. Then I would have 3 processes covered!

Comment

Hi, why not look for a Miller 180SD or 200 syncro ? They are tig and stick machines.This way you have another to add to your collection. you can never have enough.

Comment

The big reasons to keep a 140 are,,, if you are doing real sheet metal real regular its nice to have a machine with 023 in it, auto body shop, hvac. I have 2 feeders and the occasion for ultra thin is rare enough I use 030 in my small machine,, could do 90% of what I do with it and have a DC buzzer for the rest of the steel work.
                    http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

What Sberry said. I bought a HH210 for the spoolgun, but I am keeping my 187 so it is loaded with different wire than the 210 and I can just plug and play rather than reloading wire back and forth. Right now the 187 has flux in it for outdoor tacking on a fence gate project, and the other MIG has .030 steel. I am going to do some aluminum work in my future and I'll keep the spool gun on the 210 and change out the 187 to run mild steel. They are close together in terms of capability, but for what I could get for the 187 it makes up in convenience having different wire ready to go. I am restomodding an old truck, I see in the future leaving .030 in the 210 for frame and bracket work, with .023 in the 187 for body work (sheet metal). Just convenient over switching wire spools back and forth.

If I lost all my welders and could only buy one to replace them, I'd just get the HH210 MVP with spool.

My first was a TIG as I thought it was the one-size-fits-all flexible do-it-all welder. Found out it is too slow if you just want to get stuff done. I have a full time job and welding is just a hobby, so my time is limited. I wouldn't get rid of it for those few times I need it, but if I could only have one, it would be a 240V class MIG with a spool for aluminum.
                      Last edited by RBryant; 02-06-2012, 09:41 PM.
                      HH 187
                      HH 210
                      Thermal Arc ProWave 185TSW
                      Hypertherm 600

Comment

Working...
                      X