Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobart Handler 210MVP & SpoolRunner 100 Mishap

Hi there,

I've had my 210MVP for about 6 months. Over the holidays I attached my Spoolrunner 100 and a tank of Argon to do some welding of 1/8th inch aluminum. Worked in that configuration for about a week. Then I restored everything for some mild steel work. Yesterday I switched back to using the Spoolrunner 100.

After just a few hours of work, I had to switch back. This time, I had the devil of a time removing the main spool gun connection from the 210MVP. The rule is, if you have to force it, stop and make sure you know what you are doing. So I did... checked everything again and there was nothing left to loosen in order to correctly disconnect.

Well, after some more tugging and determined effort I finally got it to move a bit. After another 20 minutes of careful work, I got it out, only to find the problem. For some reason, I was experiencing some arcing in the aluminum housing where the main connector connects. At least that is what it looked like.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04218.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	667195

Has anyone seen this problem before? Do you know what caused it?

I double checked everything on my rig and everything was set up correctly. Correct polarity included.

For service, I'll have to drive 90+ miles to the nearest authorized service center.

Thanks,
    Pete
    Attached Files

This is the welder end of the electrode lead to MIG gun or spool gun. You can get arc damage because you didn't tighten the retaining screw which would provide best conducting path without arcing. O-rings provide gas seal and space that part away from wire feeder block preventing good electrical contact of metal parts. If that part fits into aluminium wire feeder block, aluminium is good conductor that quickly forms surface aluminium oxide layer that is a poor conductor. I think manual states something about tighten retaining screw to provide good electrical path. So important and easy to ignore!

If you can refurbish parts so they will fit and function properly you will not need to buy new parts that are not covered by warranty.

Comment

There was an earlier post by Dan where this happened with the regular gun on one of his handlers. I just made a note to always check the tightness of the thumbscrew when I'm getting ready to use the welder. I have to open the side anyway to release the drive roll tension while checking the gas flow, which I also learned on this site.
      Blacksmith
      Stickmate LX AC/DC
      Big cheap (Chinese) Anvil
      Hand cranked coal forge
      Freon bottle propane forge
      HH 210 and bottle of C25

Comment

Thanks guys... I'm willing to bet that you've accurately described the cause...

I'll see what I can do about cleaning up the welder end of the electrode tonight, replacing the o-rings, and seeing how things fit.

I saw on another thread here, a suggestion to use some electircal grade silicon grease on the o-rings to help them seat better. I'll add that idea to the mix and see what happens.

I'll report back to this thread just so there is some sort of conclusion. Hate it when a thread just dies without offering any sort of conclusion. :-)

Thanks,
        Pete

Comment

Yes, I also put a dab of electrical grade silicone on the o-rings when I first assembled my 210.
          Blacksmith
          Stickmate LX AC/DC
          Big cheap (Chinese) Anvil
          Hand cranked coal forge
          Freon bottle propane forge
          HH 210 and bottle of C25

Comment

Silicone grease lets you insert electrode lead into feeder block without cutting the O-rings. I had this happen on one of my welders. Parker O-ring guide has a lot more say about need to lubricate O-rings.

Comment

Looks like a loose thumbscrew, if I were you I would touch up any rough spots on the direct plug with emery cloth replace the o rings dress with a little Silicone Grease or KY gel, tighten the thumb screw and call it good.
              Esab Multimaster 260 Sweet machine!
              Thermal Arc Arc Master, Don't use it much just got a heck of a deal on this unit
              Don't talk about it, be about it.

Comment

Working...
              X