Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want to purchase th HH190 W/the 100spool gun at northern tool. Good unit or not?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to purchase th HH190 W/the 100spool gun at northern tool. Good unit or not?

I want to purchase a mig welder that has aluminum capability so the HH190 withe the 100 spool gun at Northern tool looks to be about the best deal at $829. A little more than i was going to spend but might be a life time purchase for a novice. I don't plan to use it any where except my garage so the 220volt only is fine. I would like to stitch up a few body panels and be able to do some light aluminum work as well. Lawn mower decks and garden ornaments and stuff of that nature. I have a 220volt stick welder (buzz box) so the heavy stuff can be done with it. Never have used a mig but can't wait to try. How much does the gas and tank cost because i plan on using solid wire not flux core. Thanks for any info guy's.......Fireman Bill in Va
    Fireman Bill

HH 210 MVP
    MM 211
    Spoolmate 100
    Lotas LTP5000D Plasma
    Oxy/Accet (Victor)
    Wards AC/DC buzz box
    30 ton old hyd press
    A few brand name tools
    A bunch of cheap tools
    A wife to worry me and
    4 dogs to supervise me

I cant tell you about the bottles but order up the unit and have no regrets, not any. This is a super investment, pays for itself, very little depreciation and you will never be able to wear it out.
    http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

The HH190 is a relatively new model but is based on the much loved HH187 machine. There are some posts on this forum discussing the 190 and I don't think you can go wrong as the type of work you're doing is within the limits of the machine.

Cost of bottles varies place to place as do rental agreements and "customer owned" bottle policies. Best to check locally, be sure to shop around to get the best deal for you.

Note that if you are doing aluminum that you understand that you need 100% argon gas compared to C25 shield gas typically used on mild steel applications. So you're looking at two small bottles.

Comment

Just as Ohiomike said you will need 2 bottles of gas, one for regular welding and a bottle of straight argon for aluminum work. Great welder though you can't go wrong!

Comment

fireman

don't know about the 190 but I bought a 210mvp from northern during Christmas. First time mig user and it is sweet so far. I really like the ability to plug into 120v plugs, in fact that is what sold it so I can use it on small jobs for customers. Already paid for it with the first two jobs.

I got the 210 for @879 and purchased 2 10# rolls of flux wire with the order so it was around 1050. They had a 10% gift card running so I got a 100 buck gift card. A little later they advertised the spoolgun for 129 and do the math, a 29 buck spool gun.

It may get better, Northern has a price match guarantee and during the first 30 days I found the welder and the wire a little cheaper somewhere else and have sent in to ask for the match. They advertise difference plus 10%

Check toolfetch. I went with Northern because of their reputation. we will see how the price match goes.

Nothern's price match policy is on their website

Comment

HH190 Usage

I think you'll like the 190. I had the HH187, and only upgraded to the MM211 for the spoolgun capability, which is included on the 190 - not the 187.
            I'm definitely not a welding expert, with limited experience, but the 187 seemed to give a smoother bead, and was easier to see and control. I've used several other MIG welders in classes and in work, and really felt like the 187 gave the best welds I've done. Sometimes I just wonder if it was the 1 in a thousand machine, or just the overall 187 tendency?
            But definitely a great hobbyist machine in that size.

Comment

Fireman,

I believe the spool gun that was on sale was the DP-3035 which is for the Handler 210 not the newer 210 MVP. The 210 MVP and the new 190 both use the Hobart SpoolRunner 100. I was really tempted to buy one for my 210, but just couldn't get myself to pull the trigger. Unfortunately Northern seems to have discontinued selling them now too as they are no longer listed on the site.

Comment

Thanks.

Hey, thanks for all the info. I am going to take the plunge in a few weeks. I have stick welded for years but never mig. Wish me luck......
                Fireman Bill

HH 210 MVP
                MM 211
                Spoolmate 100
                Lotas LTP5000D Plasma
                Oxy/Accet (Victor)
                Wards AC/DC buzz box
                30 ton old hyd press
                A few brand name tools
                A bunch of cheap tools
                A wife to worry me and
                4 dogs to supervise me

Comment

It's a plunge; I haven't used my stick welder since I got the MIG. I'm holding onto it though, didn't cost much and it can come in handy.
                  Blacksmith
                  Stickmate LX AC/DC
                  Big cheap (Chinese) Anvil
                  Hand cranked coal forge
                  Freon bottle propane forge
                  HH 210 and bottle of C25

Comment

Originally posted by Blacksmith View Post
                    It's a plunge; I haven't used my stick welder since I got the MIG. I'm holding onto it though, didn't cost much and it can come in handy.
                    This is a statement that should be held on to, the stick unit pretty much becomes a dust collector in most garages.
                    http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

True, but stick is pretty quick if I need to run some Ni55 for a cast iron repair or E309 for a stainless steel job, etc. Be done and putting my feet up before I could get home with the right shielding gas and wire. Never say never.
                      Blacksmith
                      Stickmate LX AC/DC
                      Big cheap (Chinese) Anvil
                      Hand cranked coal forge
                      Freon bottle propane forge
                      HH 210 and bottle of C25

Comment

Spoolrunner 100

Hi there,

I've been using the Spoolrunner 100 for a few weeks now. Up to this morning, it was working great. This morning I went to switch back from using the Spoolrunner 100 on some aluminum work to the normal tip to work on some mild steel.

Discovered that the inserted end of the Spoolrunner 100 was stuck. Seems I had some arcing going on and it was nearly welded in place within my 210MVP. I just posted a query about this on this forum so still don't know what caused this.

However, I still recommend it. This is the first time I did any aluminum welding and it did a good job on all the 1/8th inch aluminum plate I was working with.

Peter H.

Comment

Working...
                        X